EM.TV to sell 49.9% of Henson to Dean Valentine

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by murgatoad
Disney isn't that stupid.
I think it's probably more to do with their internal problems - they aren't in a position to buy a company like Henson right now with all it's own problems to sort out. They may well have stepped in if the price was low and who knows what happened behind the scenes but it seems that EMTV were shopping around for a co-partnership deal and Disney would have never offered it. Personally i think Diz could make a great profit out of the Muppets.

Originally posted by murgatoad
I'd be willing to bet it's even below 80 million. But the bottom line here is...you can pretty much rule out any new lavish productions for the Muppets, kids. Very likely the NBC film was their last hurrah.
It'll be well below 80 million - remember it's only a 49.9% share. I don't think the Muppets have had their last hurrah or this affects the NBC/Fox projects eitherway yet. If anything, it's the option that means a lot of the exisiting deals and projects may well continue - and if the merchandise licensing continues as it has been, they get a weekly show on Fox with the visibility that comes with it, and some kind of movie projects happen then things could go quite successfully for them - especially with some non-Muppet projects giving them something to fall back on. I tend to agree with Muppetquilter - this is a partnership that if managed well could turn out ok, but we'll have to wait and see. The only problems are that sometimes co-partnerships can be confusing and disasterous if things aren't managed well and each company is pulling in a different direction, and also there's the 'direct to video' cloud that is part of Valentine's ideas hanging over the Muppets heads ...... if it's done in the style of the Muppet movies we've seen or the TV movie then it could be ok, but if they just turn the brand into 'Muppets Meet Elmo' kiddie fodder then they'll soon find out it's been done and doesn't work anymore. Obviously there is something about the Muppets that is attractive and 'works', they've bought 49.9% of it so hopefully they will keep Jim's style and legacy in mind and try to end up with a property that is popular and profitable yet still carries on the character and style of the Muppets in some ways.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
remember it's only a 49.9% share. I don't think the Muppets have had their last hurrah or this affects the NBC/Fox projects eitherway yet.
Why does Farscape, a virtual Muppets in space extention from JHC launched in 1998 have such a fervent zealot fanbase yet the Muppet brand itself seems rife with cynicism and complacency?

This 50% stuff...I just dont know, doesnt seem grand in design...I think we were hoping for a saviour type thing.

Never the less, I really hope Velntine doesnt truly have intentions of turning the JHC brand clock back to 1993(ala that Disney era when the Diz virtually did own JHC and their direction)

Perhaps this signals a call to action by the fans...
that is if things look to be going in a sour direction.
It's up to all of us to not be complacent. The future hags in the balance.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
I'm just complaining 'cause it ain't Disney and Henson's a joint venture between some crackerjack German company who don't know what they want and whatever the HECK the Valentine/Europlay team's supposed to be. And while I REALLY REALLY wanted Disney to get JHC, I guess I wasn't really expecting it, just the way the world treats me. Just as I was moving on last week and seeing reality, there came the Disney news on Thursday, getting my hopes up.

Wish I had a life...and no computer.

EmmyMik

Reaction score
Originally posted by MuppetQuilter
I think Emmy has a good point. The press release is spin. Press releases are always spin. The real news could be stated very simply:

EM.TV has agreed to sell a 49.9% stake in the JHC to a group of US investors led by Dean Valentine.
See? That wasn't hard. I declare you the official Press Release Interpreter of MC (that's probably Phil's job, but when I win the lottery and buy the rest of the JHC, then I can hire you on to write the press releases)...

:big_grin:

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Originally posted by EmmyMik
when I win the lottery and buy the rest of the JHC, then I can hire you on to write the press releases)...

Can I have a swanky corner office with a window?

And do you offer on-sight daycare?

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
<B>"We are committed to continuing the legacy of creativity, humor and humanity that marked everything Jim Henson touched," Valentine said in a statement. "At the same time we feel there is enormous potential for growth, not merely from Kermit and the Muppets, but from the expansion of the Henson brand into all areas of family entertainment."</B>
Let's just hope this isn't like Eisner talking about Walt Disney :smile:
The "Kermit and the muppets" phrasing did get to me as well. Mickey Mouse is great, but I think his "true spirit" totally died; not with Walt Disney, but Frank Wells. As for Kermit, I do believe his spirit is still there. It might have deminished a bit, but he is still the same frog I grew up knowing & loving.
I just hope this new deal doesn't break us up.

sidcrowe

Reaction score
MuppetQuilter:

I remember reading on this website a while back something about the Sesame Street characters being transferred to somebody or something or messed with in some fashion. I can't remember exactly what the heck it was :frown:

Doesn't matter; it's a screwy 49% buyout, which was something NONE of us was predicting :frown:

Plus, EM.TV is STILL STILLLL STILLLLLL the major shareholder :mad:

I can't believe it :eek:

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
Sesame Workshop still owns all the rights to SESAME STREET, I believe.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by BoyRaisin2
And while I REALLY REALLY wanted Disney to get JHC, I guess I wasn't really expecting it, just the way the world treats me. Just as I was moving on last week and seeing reality, there came the Disney news on Thursday, getting my hopes up.

Wish I had a life...and no computer.
Boyraisin: Your words are what I am feeling...
Indeed, things really need to change. And I mean that in everything.

This "49.99999999%" garbage is a symptom and a bit of a symbolic joke of what life is these days: false hopes and false starts. I would like everyone to read this post I just wrote. It cuts out all the negative sounding garbage I have found myself somehow posting lately...and clearly lays out what Im all about, and my true intentions for things. I think it may provide hope for us all...

http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4402