1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

EM.TV to Sell Muppets to Jim Henson's Children for $89 Million

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, May 7, 2003.

1. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

Mupets1985,

Why Disney? Disney treats the Muppets like they're strictly for little kids.

2. Louis Kazagger

Louis Kazagger New Member

What a coup! Sell the company for $680 million three years ago, buy it back for $89 million today. Sounds like good business to me! :D

3. Crazy Harry

Crazy Harry New Member

Happy:)

Happy:D

Joy:crazy:

Joy:excited:

Penguin:zany:

4. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

now they can put the muppwt show back on tv

5. Jrobert

Jrobert New Member

Now before we all go jump for joy, although this is good. :) I have to agree at least partially with Jeffy.

It is a dream come true that the company is in hands of people who care most about it's legacy, image and dream to live on. I'll even go as far as saying that I wish something like this would have happened to Disney to really keep Walt's original dreams alive. But I'll also say that a company like Disney or like JHC, need actually to find a medium.

It's not enough to just live on a great legacy, you need to explode it and really make that dream more than a reality. Disney has gone a little overboard being driven by finances and they are only partly still upheld with Walt's legacy and dreams.

Therefore, nothing could be better for the company to stay with the Henson family and dreamers. But they will need to make some bigger and stronger alliances to keep the muppets alive and keep things moving forward.

Does that make sense? It's not enough, just to be really cool and the best if you can't do anything with it.

6. Squigiman

Squigiman Active Member

Thank Jim! It's finally happened! I feel so relieved and happy about this, amongst other things (finishing up school, meeting Carroll, finishing puppet-related movie I really enjoy, birthday tomorrow). I don't think it could have gone to anyone better. Either way it goes, Henson belongs with Henson, and I think we can trust them more with our beloved characters than some shady German organization-gone bankrupt. Oh, by the way, sorry I didn't know you were there, Matt, otherwise I would have looked for you. Really woulda been nice to meet a fellow MC-er, though I did run into a fan about my age who knew of us, saying he was more of a "Tough Pigs" guy, though. Take care.

-Squigiman

7. Ol' Buddy Bert

Ol' Buddy Bert New Member

In any event...this is definitely exciting and unexpected news.

I have a feeling that it will be a tough road ahead (for the immediate future) but I also anticipate some interesting and fun projects as well.

Congratulations to the Henson family. It must be a day of great celebration for them.

8. tomahawk

tomahawk Member

My wife called me from work because she was checking our e-mail. The last time someone called me from another place about Muppet news was in May of 1990. This was different, she sounded excited. I can't believe this. I am crying as I type. Thank you Henson family.

9. Jrobert

Jrobert New Member

True, we do know we can trust Henson above EM.TV, and for that matter most companies.

However, I again just hope that they really partner with someone big and bring the Muppets back to where they should be.

:p

10. Zack the Dog

Zack the Dog Active Member

I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want Henson to belong to Henson! It's a dream come true!!!!!

NOW Eisner is CHOKING on that Mickey Mouse Pencil topper!! ahahahaa!

Wow, and i kept reading people saying that they bet Disney will get them in the end, i just could not belive it, i had a gut feeling Disney wouldn't get them, but that another smaller company would, but i didn't think Henson!!!

see dreams can come true! and only when DISNEY is NOT apart of them!!!! I'm sure Henson has lots of work to do, a better chance for that Fox show to get off the ground i bet!!

Whats funny is that i felt a sign yesteruday, it had nothing Muppet related, but it was just a small sign, i couldn't understand what it ment, but i took it as a sign of something good...IT'S GREAT!
    You guys would think I weird if i told you the sign.....lol!
    :)

Zack)Rowlf the)Disney your days are DONE!!:excited: :D :crazy: :zany: Dog.

11. Jrobert

Jrobert New Member

Tell us! Tell us! What was the sign! :)

12. grouchman

grouchman New Member

maybe it's not the best "business" decision, but this has got to be the best muppet news i've heard in a long long time.

while jim henson was one of a rare few creative people who also posessed business savvy, his work shows he cared about the creative side first.

and maybe during the turmoil of the years between the sale and the buy-back, the henson people have learned some valuable lessons which will make their future easier to manage. there has certainly been a powerful effort to increase muppet awareness in the past few years, where before there was practically nothing.

cheers to brian and the family for making this happen. i hope with the added value and media attention the muppets have gained with recent exposure, it will be easier for bigger dogs like disney, columbia tri-star, nbc, fox and others to do licensing deals with the classic characters and new creations, while putting the creative people in more of a "take it or leave it" position when it comes to "the suits" and program content.

like the others...i never saw this coming. it's nice to have a PLEASANT surprise for a change.

13. Waldo C Graphic

Waldo C Graphic New Member

Wow. When I read this I just happened to have Bear in the Big Blue House on and all the characters were laughing and cheering for joy. Clearly they heard the news too. :D

14. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Well-Known Member

I am thrilled by this news, absolutely thrilled! Thanks, Henson family, for such a wonderful surprise. I'm so relieved to know that the Muppets and their kin will be in the hands (and on the hands) of people who truly care about them.

:D :p ;) :zany:

15. Jrobert

Jrobert New Member

EXACTLY! Of course, this is a good thing! Let's just keep our fingers crossed that Henson did learn it's lesson and that hey have the big boys knocking down their doors for some piece of their creativity!

16. Struble

Struble New Member

I honestly did not care about Henson being sold. I had a "just sell it and get it over with" attitude about it. I just didn't care to sit here reading and speculating after every little press release. In fact, that was one of the reasons I stopped checking this site as often as I used to.

Yet, strangely enough, this news has me elated. It's good to know that since the Henson kids are buying it, the company will remain a free agent. This way they can still work with Disney. They can still work with NBC. Fox. Creature shop can still can work on movies from all over the world.

Had they joined up with Disney or some other big corporate, this couldn't happen. Disney is not going to produce special effects for other peoples companies. Just like other corporates are going to go crawling to Disney to have them do stuff.

I'm really pleased to hear this. The Muppets are remaining in the family. The Muppets are free agents who can work with whatever companies they choose. I'm surprised that anyone would not want this to happen.

Sh.

(Woo, and that was my hundredth post. Just the perfect occasion for it, if I do say)

17. Mark Filton

Mark Filton New Member

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. herihodiesemper

herihodiesemper New Member

Hallelujah Chorus

WHOO HOO!!!!!!!

nuff said.

19. BoyRaisin2

BoyRaisin2 Active Member

Well well well. I have several reactions to what we are witnessing here today. Let's start:

1. Wow! Wowee, wow, wow, wow, whaa? I didn't see THAT comin'.

2. Where the F did this come from?

3. Hmmm, though I haven't needed this thought in the past year, I always said if Disney couldn't buy it, then Henson's management. This is a little different, but whatever.

4. Diz treating them as a corporate "toy." Diz never even owned them, so who knows?

5. Sesame Workshop getting a minor stake? Gimme a break. They make "Sesame Street" and other educational preschool shows. Woo-woo.

6. The best part of this news? At least the Creature Shop is still part of it. So that's massively cool.

7. What was with all this Disney/Classic/Sesame talk ANYWAY?!

8. After all this crap, we're right back to where we started. Hopefully, the family will make GOOD decisions (for once, and I say that out of frustration).

9. Just don't sell yourselves again. You're a curse, so keep your paws and flippers in the Chaplin lot.

10. As mentioned in previous threads, I thought I didn't think Disney would buy the Muppets. Though I was massively supporting it.

11. Though I prefer Disney, this is OK. But I thought after seven years of wanting a D-H deal to happen, and after an even longer TWO years of this. I just would've got, some, freakin', closure.

12. I know Eisner is thinking about this right NOW.

13. Lisa, Cheryl, Brian, John, Heather. Rivkin? Don't mess this up. Yeah, you own your daddy's characters and company, and that's awesome for you and many otheres here. But was it also "awesome" in late 1999/early 2000 while you had a few hit shows but bombed Muppet projects? So you think about that for awhile. But hey, if not absolutely Disney, then you guys.

And those are my reactions. Now my emoticons, and I have to admit I sorta laughed when I heard about it: :excited: :rolleyes: :concern: :grouchy: :smirk:

20. kansasteen14

kansasteen14 New Member

This is great news, I wanted Disney to get but this is probably better. besides now they can still work with Disney.:) :crazy: :D ;)