Emmet Otter Special Edition coming to DVD

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Chuckling. And then you'll love them all over again when Season 1 of FR gets released in September.

Man, it certainly paid to get my complete VCD copies of Emmet Otter and The Christmas Toy, and almost unedited MFC from my great Canadian buddy.

petrieboy

Reaction score
Upset.

This is ridiculous. People hope for re-releases for years, and companies hardly ever get it right.

Why didn't Henson or HIT think about releasing dvds BEFORE selling over to Disney? They could have released Emmet last year in its full length, unedited. It's pathetic that we don't get to see Kermit narrating-that's part of the magic of this special, and now it's stripped down and ripped apart. Now I wish I never sold my old version, which I did only because I knew it was coming back on dvd. I'd rather have Kermit than an extended song. But why should any fan have to choose? By the time they get it right, children will be grown, fans will be dead... and what's the point? If companies really believed in Henson, and in the magic of Christmas, they'd have a heart when it comes to something like this. How the same companies spew out tales of Scrooge and tales of giving during the holiday season and simultaneously seek to make quick money would be funny if it weren't so disheartening.

HIT got it right with Fraggle Rock. Disney got it right with The Muppet Show. It only took about a decade of dvd to figure those out- and watch- their monetary returns are going to baffle them, when fans had it figured out from the start.

HIT... YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO MAKE IT RIGHT. BURN YOUR DISCS BEFORE AUGUST (better yet if you haven't produced any yet) AND GIVE US KERMIT.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
a_Mickey_Muppet said:
I also wonder why Disney didnt get rights to Emmit Otter?
I don't know either, but think for a moment. Disney got The jim Henson Companys ownership of the Muppets, not the entire company. If Disney were to get the rights to certain productions just becasue a character that is considered a Muppet made a significant cameo in it, or just because the word Muppet is in the credits, then Disney might as well buy the entire company (or at least everything besides TimePiece, the Cube, Youth '68, Family Rules and anything with creations from the creature shop).

If Disney got productions based on minor appearances of muppets, then Disney would have gotten everything. Many characters from The Muppet Show frequently appeared on The Ghost of faffner hall and Mopatops Shop. should disney have gotten the rights to those shows? kermit was a main character on sam and friends. shoudl disney have gotten that? (in a perfect world, yes, in a normal world, they didn't) jaques Roache appeared on The Jim henson Hour but later had a more major role as Yves St. la Roache on The Animal Show. should Disney have gotten the rights to the animal show? (more likely, Henson probably owns the rights to this character) The swedish Chef made regular appearances on Donnas day after the first season. Should Disney own Donnas Day? (i haven't seen the show, but I think his appearances are more like guest appearances, and Disney doesn't own any of the muppets guest appearances on any show, except the ones that Disney already owns).

I don't think crossovers should count. A Muppet family Christmas, The Muppets: A Celebration of Thirty years, The Muppets celebrate Jim henson, the sesame Street character appearances on The Muppet Show and Muppet Movies and Sam The Eagles guest appearance on the animal show are more like cross-over appearances, and ownership shouldn't be a problem. Disney owns most of those productions because they use the muppet name and because the muppets are more prominant than the characters from other productions (in A Muppet family Christmas, the sesame street characters don't appear untill maybe the second half of the special, the fraggles don't appear untill later, and doc and sprocket are supporting characters).

I think Disney would have owned the Dog City episode of the Jim Henson Hour (which heavily featured rowlf) if it weren't for the fact that it was adapted into a saturday mornign series. I am not sure whether Disney would have gotten The Christmas Toy if there was no Secret Life of Toys.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I don't know either, but think for a moment. Disney got The jim Henson Companys ownership of the Muppets, not the entire company. If Disney were to get the rights to certain productions just becasue a character that is considered a Muppet made a significant cameo in it, or just because the word Muppet is in the credits, then Disney might as well buy the entire company (or at least everything besides TimePiece, the Cube, Youth '68, Family Rules and anything with creations from the creature shop).

If Disney got productions based on minor appearances of muppets, then Disney would have gotten everything. Many characters from The Muppet Show frequently appeared on The Ghost of faffner hall and Mopatops Shop. should disney have gotten the rights to those shows? kermit was a main character on sam and friends. shoudl disney have gotten that? (in a perfect world, yes, in a normal world, they didn't) jaques Roache appeared on The Jim henson Hour but later had a more major role as Yves St. la Roache on The Animal Show. should Disney have gotten the rights to the animal show? (more likely, Henson probably owns the rights to this character) The swedish Chef made regular appearances on Donnas day after the first season. Should Disney own Donnas Day? (i haven't seen the show, but I think his appearances are more like guest appearances, and Disney doesn't own any of the muppets guest appearances on any show, except the ones that Disney already owns).

I don't think crossovers should count. A Muppet family Christmas, The Muppets: A Celebration of Thirty years, The Muppets celebrate Jim henson, the sesame Street character appearances on The Muppet Show and Muppet Movies and Sam The Eagles guest appearance on the animal show are more like cross-over appearances, and ownership shouldn't be a problem. Disney owns most of those productions because they use the muppet name and because the muppets are more prominant than the characters from other productions (in A Muppet family Christmas, the sesame street characters don't appear untill maybe the second half of the special, the fraggles don't appear untill later, and doc and sprocket are supporting characters).

I think Disney would have owned the Dog City episode of the Jim Henson Hour (which heavily featured rowlf) if it weren't for the fact that it was adapted into a saturday mornign series. I am not sure whether Disney would have gotten The Christmas Toy if there was no Secret Life of Toys.

YIKES!!!! hahah come down pal! :excited: I just wondered why thats all, like I tell my sister I just want an ancer NOT a story lol :stick_out_tongue: but... thx for the help

MuppetDude

Reaction score
The Count said:
*Chuckling* And then you'll love them all over again when Season 1 of FR gets released in September.
Unless they cut the word "Muppet" from everything.

rexcrk

Reaction score
I don't know if I've ever seen Emmet Otter but I do know who he is (one of the songs was on my Sing-A-Long tape when I was older). I probably won't get the DVD but hearing about how they cut out Kermit just plain stinks :boo: :sympathy: I hate the editing of ANYthing :mad: , unless it's for the better (like making sound and picture quality better without actually changing anything)

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
Sorry to keep ranting on but when something like Kermit can't be in a speical even tho he isn't part of the story line why did Henson in the first place put him in there.
I think jim Henson wanted kermit to be a part of every special he worked on, or maybe he wanted kermti to narrarate the specials that didn't feature regular characters.

after all, kermit narrarated tales of the tinkerdee, the frog prince (i would consider him to be the narrarator, since he introduces and closes the special), the muppet musicians of bremen, emmit otters jug-band christmas, the christmas toy, and mr. willobys christmas tree. I don't know why kermit didn't narrarate tale of the Bunny Picnic. He also didn't narrarate hey, Cinderella, but he did have a big part.

back then, the jim henson company owned kermit, and didn't think that some day the rigths to kermit would be sold to another company while the jim henson company would still be a seperate buisness.

Erine81981

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I think jim Henson wanted kermit to be a part of every special he worked on, or maybe he wanted kermti to narrarate the specials that didn't feature regular characters.

after all, kermit narrarated tales of the tinkerdee, the frog prince (i would consider him to be the narrarator, since he introduces and closes the special), the muppet musicians of bremen, emmit otters jug-band christmas, the christmas toy, and mr. willobys christmas tree. I don't know why kermit didn't narrarate tale of the Bunny Picnic. He also didn't narrarate hey, Cinderella, but he did have a big part.

back then, the jim henson company owned kermit, and didn't think that some day the rigths to kermit would be sold to another company while the jim henson company would still be a seperate buisness.

Pretty much no why I just was meadforlay (can't spell good) speaking. I'm just saying. I might buy it but I would't be buying it for extra stuff. I don't want it because its has new clips or new song just becasue I wnat to see how they choped it all up to bits and pieces.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
OK... Reason why TOTBP wasn't narrated by Kermit is cause...
Well, it's the Bunny Picnic. So it made sense to have one of the bunnies from the original picnic to narrate the flashback story of the special itself. The narrator of TOTBP was Grandpa Bean, Bean Bunny aged to grandfatherly form with some added bunnies hearing to his every word as he told the tale from his youth.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
Quick question- I've can't remember for certain what kind of animals Harvey and Charlie are, though I think their last names are mentioned in the Nickelodeon cut (I just watched the Columbia edit). Anyone remember? I thought Harvey was a woodchuck and Charlie was a Muskrat (perhaps Hettie Muskrat's son), but if anyone can tell me for sure it'd be appreciated.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole