Enterprise canceled

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
For all you Star Trek lovers out there, Star Trek is now going where it hasn't gone before in almost 20 years, off the air.

Star Trek: Enterprise Cancelled!

After four seasons, Star Trek: Enterprise has reached the end of its mission ...

PRESS RELEASE

UPN and Paramount Network Television have jointly announced that this will be the final season of Star Trek: Enterprise on UPN. [Production will continue until the end of this season, which will finish shooting in March.] The series finale will air on Friday, May 13, 2005.

"Star Trek has been an important part of UPN's history, and Enterprise has carried on the tradition of its predecessors with great distinction," said Dawn Ostroff, President, Entertainment, UPN. "We'd like to thank Rick Berman, Brannon Braga and an incredibly talented cast for creating an engaging, new dimension to the Star Trek universe on UPN, and we look forward to working with them, and our partners at Paramount Network Television, on a send-off that salutes its contributions to The Network and satisfies its loyal viewers."

David Stapf, President of Paramount Network Television, said, "The creators, stars and crew of Star Trek: Enterprise ambitiously and proudly upheld the fine traditions of the Star Trek franchise. We are grateful for their contributions to the legacy of Trek and commend them on completing nearly 100 exciting, dramatic and visually stunning episodes. All of us at Paramount warmly bid goodbye to Enterprise, and we all look forward to a new chapter of this enduring franchise in the future."

A prequel to the original "Star Trek" series, STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE premiered on UPN on Sept. 26, 2001, and aired for its first three seasons on Wednesdays (8:00-9:00PM, ET/PT). On Oct. 8, 2004, STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE moved into its current time on Fridays (8:00-9:00PM, ET/PT). Through its four-year run, STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE produced a total of 98 episodes and earned four Emmy Awards.

ryan

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
It's such a shame.....I was never able to watch it weekly (due to the fact no TV at school and for a while I could never chase all the switches around :wink: ) but I really did love the show. Perhaps the setup was too hard to follow (think of how much the writers had to TRY not to mess up the timeline...sure they had the occasional slip-up, but did a fantastic job in my opinion) I really enjoyed the characters, which is something really nice to fall back on if I don't enjoy a storyline. I read one article that practically blamed the downfall of Enterprise on Scott Bakula, and BOY was I hopping mad by the end of that one! UPN didn't play the series right....and maybe...just perhaps maybe, Star Trek needs a little time to regroup.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I'm really really going to miss Enterprise. This season in particular has been a creative renewal, but I've always watched (and enjoyed it) since the beginning. I really don't think UPN treated this show right, but the cast and crew can be proud that they've been a part of four very good seasons of Star Trek.

Enterprise, you will be missed!

:frown:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Yeah, this was an absolutely incredible season. This is just what happened to Angel last season. At least Battlestar Galactica seems to be pretty good.

You know there's a lot of talk about how networks have to change their ratings systems to account for things like TiVo that have started. Enterprise supposedly does really well in that regard. It's a little like when NBC cancelled the original due to bad ratings - only to find out when they switched to using demographics for ratings they had the perfect show on the air.

Stupid networks. :mad:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
sarah_yzma said:
I read one article that practically blamed the downfall of Enterprise on Scott Bakula, and BOY was I hopping mad by the end of that one!
That's a pretty stupid idea to blame Bakula for the whole show when he is only acting in it with 6 other people.

But the writing in the first few seasons wasn't the best. And although I liked the Xindi arc,(reminded me of the Dominion war on DS9), I was still curious as to why these guys are never mentioned in the other series like TNG or DS9. However, the 4th season has been great in terms of story telling. Just last week I watched Babel One and thought it was really well written and greatly acted by Bakula.

But it wasn't like nobody didn't see this coming. It was very hard to get a season 4 on the air, but thanks to people writing in, they got a season 4. But this time Paramount isn't budging and writing to them or to CBS won't do anything.

As for when a new Star Trek show will come out, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe within the next 5 years or so. But right now, Star Trek really does need some vacation time.

ryan

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
ryhoyarbie said:
for when a new Star Trek show will come out, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe within the next 5 years or so. But right now, Star Trek really does need some vacation time.
I tend to agree, but I'm sad to say so. I would have liked to see Enterprise continue for another few years, but if they are going ahead and cancelling it I would also hate to see them rush into something to fill the airwaves. Let it sit for a few years, then come up with a new take on it just when people are really missing new Trek.

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
yeah.......although if UPN wouldn't have messed with the time *rolls eyes* and they WONDER why people won't chase a show around. I personally find it really annoying and unnecessary when a show is switched...especially like Enterprise was....Friday nights? tsk tsk UPN.......I doubt that one act would have saved the show, but losing the casual viewers is a pain.

I'm sure Enterprise does VERY well with TiVo and such! Trekkies are die hards (myself included) and if I had something similar to TiVo to my use, I would NEVER miss an episode.......now I just have to live with episode reviews and what I read on other forums. Darn my school!

haha

Beauregard

Reaction score
Ahhh. No.

I've only seen one episode, (don't have a TV...) but I've read all the books, and keep up somewhat on the bigger story arcs like this one.

But, it's a shame it's cancelled, though I can't wait for the DVDs

Super Scooter

Reaction score
sarah_yzma said:
It's such a shame.....I was never able to watch it weekly (due to the fact no TV at school and for a while I could never chase all the switches around :wink: ) but I really did love the show. Perhaps the setup was too hard to follow (think of how much the writers had to TRY not to mess up the timeline...sure they had the occasional slip-up, but did a fantastic job in my opinion) I really enjoyed the characters, which is something really nice to fall back on if I don't enjoy a storyline. I read one article that practically blamed the downfall of Enterprise on Scott Bakula, and BOY was I hopping mad by the end of that one! UPN didn't play the series right....and maybe...just perhaps maybe, Star Trek needs a little time to regroup.
so, it's all your fault. :flirt:

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
The people at trekunited.com are doing such a great job of raising money and awareness to get the show back on the air. As of today, Paramount has agreed not to tear down the sets just yet, which is a major step!