1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Episodes that Have Stuck with You

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by D'Snowth, Aug 31, 2009.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I almost thought about posting this in the Classic Sesame Street Board, but I think this can very well apply to even the more current seasons of SST as well.

Have there been an particular episodes you have seen that even to this day you recall vividly? Moreso than others? Maybe episodes you didn't actually tape, but you still remember them clearly?

There's quite a few episodes like that that I have been thinking about quite a bit lately...

One for instance is from sometime in the mid 90s or so (1996, 1997, maybe even early 1998) that involved Gabi inviting Big Bird and Tarah over for a sleepover; two things I can clearly remember is how Tarah showed everybody how she has someone (in this case, it was Luis I believe) help her out of her wheel chair, and into her bed, or in this case sleeping bag, and then later, Big Bird telling Maria and Luis how some strange noise keeps waking him up and scaring him, and it turned out to be his own snoring, lol.

Another episode I recall vividly was from Season 28... I believe it was that season, because I remember this was just before we were given Elmo's World, but the set had already been modified to include the two-story red brick apartment behind the fence of the arbor where Elmo lives - this episode involved Elmo telling Luis and Gabi about a nightmare he had the night before where he was supposed to have a playdate with Big Bird, when all of the sudden another Elmo showed up and had the playdate instead, which made the real Elmo sad because the other Elmo was having all the fun he was supposed to be having.

Two more recent episodes from Seasons 33 and 34 respectively involve when David Allen Grier made an appearance as Alladin, and was learning to do certain everyday things without using magic, like making Zoe a peanut butter and jelly sandwich; and it being Bert's birthday, and him wanting to be left alone, but after a while, begins to feel odd without Ernie being around.

I know there are others that aren't coming to mind at the moment, but I believe you get the point of this thread.
  2. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

For me, the episode that sticks out in my memory the most is the episode where the street sign goes missing (having been broken by a bird) and Telly makes a temporary compensation.
  3. D'Snowth

OMG, I actually forgot about that one!

Poor Telly at the end of the day... which also reminds me of when Big Bird and Zoe were to have a playdate, but both were sick, and Telly ran back and forth to deliver messages... even his accompaning music got tired after a while.
  4. Oscarfan

That sounds hilarious! Like in the Texas Telly episode where he yelled at the music cue when he gave up his quest.
  5. D'Snowth

I like how they would occasionally stop and ask where that music was coming from; real throw back to Green Acres whenever Oliver would deliver one of his speeches while "Yankee Doodle" is played on the fife, and someone will ask who's playing the fife.
    Dominicboo1 likes this.
  6. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

My epsiode is when Oscar ate some rotten cookies and turned into a Hansome Prince. :grouchy:
    Cory Stoczynski likes this.
  7. D'Snowth

I don't remember that one, but it does remind of that spoof of The Odd Couple from Season 31 I think, where Oscar receives a visit from his pen-pal Felix the Grouch, but surprisingly for a grouch, Felix is actually a neat-freak, which annoys Oscar, meanwhile his messiness annoys Felix.
    Yorick likes this.
  8. Oscarfan

I remember that one too, but all I recall is that he cleaned Oscar's can (the exterior) to make it shiny and new and at the end, the sponsors where shown with a grungy font that Felix clean up with his umbrella.
  9. D'Snowth

Yeah he did; Felix initially left because they couldn't get along, but came back when they both realized their differences gave them something to argue about, and as grouches, they both love to argue, lol.
  10. D'Snowth

I guess this did belong in the Classic Sesame Street Board after all; again, I wasn't sure since some of the episodes in discussion were from more current seasons.
  11. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

I haven't seen Sesame Street in so long, and I don't remember any episodes offhand :( but I remember a movie the teachers would show us every in kindergarten-2nd grade in art class. I don't remember much, but it was from back when Snuffy was "imaginary" and it involved him and Big Bird in a museum with an Egyptian boy, and it involved some Egyptian mythology, which may be why I remember it so much.

Does anybody know what I'm talking about? I would love to see it again.
  12. D'Snowth

Oh yes, that was the special Don't Eat the Pictures, I remember it well too.
  13. Gelfling Girl

Okay. Thanks.:)
  14. D'Snowth

Does anyone know if DETP ever had a DVD release?
  15. Gelfling Girl

According to Muppet Wiki, there wasn't, but it could be wrong.
  16. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

There wasn't... and there should be.

The one episode that always stuck with me.... HAPPY CAPS! Telly wearing a giant billed baseball cap, and smacking Elmo with it every five seconds? That stuff made me rip open my spleen laughing.

"Telly should call them DANGEROUS caps!" I've never seen Elmo that Mad. Even with Rocko! :batty:
  17. ssetta

ssetta Active Member

I remember the Happy Caps episode! I actually remember it was from Season 27, and then it reran in Season 29. But here's the real amazing thing about that episode. When it originally aired, it was episode 3432. But then in Season 29, it reran as episode 3692! Isn't that weird? What do you think of THAT?
  18. Oscarfan

I don't get it. :smirk:

I do remember that episode also. I recall the cap put a dent in Elmo's nose and I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but I believe there was a scene where Telly brought the semi-conscious Elmo to the playground, where Carlo was playing "One of these things". The answer was the letter O, which Elmo got right because of his moaning. (Ooooooooooooooo)
  19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Elmo getting beaten up... clearly an episode every classic SS fan must see! :)

I swear, some of the funniest moments of SS were back when they had the "Coming up Next Time" previews. I once laughed like crazy at Kingston Livingston's Funky Chicken alphabet, since it was completely out of context. And that stuck with me too.
  20. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

There's VHS copies at The Metropolitan Museum of Art giftshops in NYC. Other than that, the best place to look is the Internet. They really ought to finally get it on DVD.