Expensive Toys

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
Considering you guys in the Weekly Box Office and Movie Disscussion Thread could not stop complaining about expensive toys I decided to make a thread about it, so you guys complain all you wants on expensive toys, I'm not the one who started the thread I mentioned above..., but I did think of it :mad:, so if you complain about Mattel, Playmates, Hasbro, and many others complain away

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm calling *&^% on this.

It's like explaining an elephant up to the slightest detail, but for the lack of some small intangible detail I'm somehow lacking, everyone thinks I'm talking about a blue, flying kangaroo with the head of a lemon.

To make this absolutely clear, I'll everything my statement so it's highlighted.

I'm referring to one specific toy line produced by one specific company directly related to a movie license.
Meaning, of course, I get lectures about "Tell me about it. X other toy company charges X dollars for X product, and that's unfair" and lectures about "Prices are determined by many market factors and political reasons, so the company is right to charge X." Not to mention back seat driving about "You're going off topic" when every single thread veers off topic for pages. I'm not trying to get into a massive discussion about how I'm cheap or stuck in the past when it comes to toy pricing, I'm just saying (and again have to everything the statement) there is no rhyme, reason, excuse, or rationalization for 12 dollar mainstream tiny carded 2-3" PVC figures based on a popular franchise that's not sold on a collector to collectors market.

I call price gouging (or at least idiotic upper-management decisions), and no other company, on varying levels of A, B, and C list toy making, would be dumb enough to think that's going to fly. The toys in question are not collectible limited run, they're geared towards kids... you know... the group of toy buyers that routinely throw toys on the floor, get completely bored with them, and sell them at a yard sale for 25 cents.

Now I could talk about my displeasure with 10-12 dollar Star Wars figures, or 15+ dollar action figures around 6", but I completely realize that, due to all the everything everyone says, that's a new normal.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Then at the next yard sale, all you have to do is keep a few quarters in your pocket, and you'll be in paradise.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Facepalm of facepalms...

Maybe I'm not making myself clear...

What would you say if I said Octopus sockdrawer undershoe tacohut? It's as if someone's taking my posts and putting them into google translate. If I sound a bit frustrated, you'll forgive me.

Just... let me try and see if I can find what I'm talking about...

The figure in question

Sure, the TRU I went to was ultra expensive, and this is 10 bucks, not twelve.

Which reminds me of the old Garfield strip "I'm sorry... you don't get a leaf of lettuce for lunch." "I should hope so." "you get a half a leaf of lettuce." "That's better."

Now, if they can't profit from selling that at, say, a reasonable 5 bucks, they have no freaking business selling toys. Seriously. I can't even say that's Happy Meal toy quality. It's the size and quality of something you'd get in a cereal box. So you can see what I mean.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Woah O_O

I got a 3 inch Toothless figure on a springy rock for 5 bucks that looks better than that. There is no way that's worth that much...

I have been reading your posts and I do understand what you have been saying completely. And honestly, the grief you have been getting for it is uncalled for. I just didn't have anything relevant to add...

Scooterforever

Reaction score
What the He11 is wrong with me complaining about expensive toys? I have just as much a right to complain as Dr. Tooth, no more, no less.

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
Oh great, I must have caused a controversy, huh, honestly I wasn't trying to be THAT offensive, all's I was trying to say was to try and reply to this thread since I made it I'll get a mod to shut it down

Scooterforever

Reaction score
Oh great, I must have caused a controversy, huh, honestly I wasn't trying to be THAT offensive, all's I was trying to say was to try and reply to this thread since I made it I'll get a mod to shut it down
You give me grief because I was complaining in the Box Office thread, and Dr. Tooth gives me grief because I'm not complaining about the same toy company as he is. It's more than a little annoying, really:mad:.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I got a 3 inch Toothless figure on a springy rock for 5 bucks that looks better than that. There is no way that's worth that much...
THANK YOU!

Thinkway is a terrible company. I didn't like their 8 dollar 3" Wreck it Ralph figures. They didn't look any better than the Disney Store collector figures sets that retailed for 12 bucks. Really, those Disney Store sets are the best toy buy out there.

As I said in the other thread, ANY other toy company that got the license would not have charged that much for a single carded figure that small. Fisher Price's Crood's line goes for a reasonable enough I guess 8 bucks for a 2 figure buddy pack. The Looney Tunes Show toys have a whole set the price of one DM figure. Why, had Hasbro got the license, they would have put the same size and quality figures in little blind bags and charged 3 bucks each, 5 bucks at an independent retail store (like they do with a G.I. Joe and MLP line). I totally understand toy prices have to skyrocket for various reasons on a sliding scale of reasonable to imbecilic... but they have no right to call these things "collectibles." I.e. easy to be able to collect them. A full collection would cost 100 dollars! You could get something far better than a series of shockingly overpriced toys for that much. Worst yet, even if these things get a dramatic price cut, they'll still be pretty pricy.

You give me grief because I was complaining in the Box Office thread, and Dr. Tooth gives me grief because I'm not complaining about the same toy company as he is. It's more than a little annoying, really:mad:.
I apologize that offended you. But I was trying to get that topic related to film merchandise out, and that was my main point.

Scooterforever

Reaction score
THANK YOU!

Thinkway is a terrible company. I didn't like their 8 dollar 3" Wreck it Ralph figures. They didn't look any better than the Disney Store collector figures sets that retailed for 12 bucks. Really, those Disney Store sets are the best toy buy out there.

As I said in the other thread, ANY other toy company that got the license would not have charged that much for a single carded figure that small. Fisher Price's Crood's line goes for a reasonable enough I guess 8 bucks for a 2 figure buddy pack. The Looney Tunes Show toys have a whole set the price of one DM figure. Why, had Hasbro got the license, they would have put the same size and quality figures in little blind bags and charged 3 bucks each, 5 bucks at an independent retail store (like they do with a G.I. Joe and MLP line). I totally understand toy prices have to skyrocket for various reasons on a sliding scale of reasonable to imbecilic... but they have no right to call these things "collectibles." I.e. easy to be able to collect them. A full collection would cost 100 dollars! You could get something far better than a series of shockingly overpriced toys for that much. Worst yet, even if these things get a dramatic price cut, they'll still be pretty pricy.

I apologize that offended you. But I was trying to get that topic related to film merchandise out, and that was my main point.
No offense taken. I think I get what you're saying though. The merchandise you're complaining about is meant for kids to take out and enjoy, not something for a toy collector to lock away for a decade til the value skyrockets; there's no reason for the price gauging. $10 for that single Minion figure is quite a lot. There's an antique mall by my house with a store that sells loose toys for $3 a piece, 2 for $5. They have hundreds of toys from children's films, and without question in a few weeks they'll be selling a Minion figure for $3. I totally agree that the price is outrageous.