Expensive Toys

KremlingWhatnot

Reaction score
You give me grief because I was complaining in the Box Office thread, and Dr. Tooth gives me grief because I'm not complaining about the same toy company as he is. It's more than a little annoying, really:mad:.
Sorry, I didn't mean offend you, and you either Tooth, I'm sorry for everything I did for this thread, now I feel I was too stupid with this thread, tell you what, I'll allow toy replying in the Box Office Thread, I'm sorry I offended you and Tooth like that

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I still think you are missing the point. You cannot "allow" topics to be discussed in threads. All threads go off topic. this is not something you can control. It doesn't matter if you made the topic or not. You have no say over what people talk about. You cannot tell them what they can and can't talk about. If someone takes a thread off topic in the future, just ignore it. Do not tell someone to get back on topic, do not tell people to stop talking about it, do not make a thread specifically because another thread went off topic.

This is a discussion board. It is normal and natural on a discussion board for things to go off topic. The only people who can dictate what can and cannot be talked about in a thread are the moderators

Drtooth

Reaction score
No offense taken. I think I get what you're saying though. The merchandise you're complaining about is meant for kids to take out and enjoy, not something for a toy collector to lock away for a decade til the value skyrockets; there's no reason for the price gauging. $10 for that single Minion figure is quite a lot. There's an antique mall by my house with a store that sells loose toys for $3 a piece, 2 for $5. They have hundreds of toys from children's films, and without question in a few weeks they'll be selling a Minion figure for $3. I totally agree that the price is outrageous.
I buy used toys all the time, but I'd prefer to buy things new and in their pristine plastic packaging. Frog knows what kids do with these toys, and a lot of them you can't just clean by submerging in water.

I'd expect these toys, if they don't sell well (and again, not a good price so yeah), they'll end up at a clearance outlet (Marshall's, 5 Below... somewhere like that) in a year or two. Hopefully. Still, the bug up my butt is that the last movie had no merchandise aside from unwinnable Carnival prizes (an arcade got them in for 800 tickets... somehow, a LOT of people had 800 tickets, since the darn things were gone fast), and Airheads candy (something I usually enjoy... but it had this one very unpleasant flavor... it was like eating a mentholated cough drop with hot sauce and it was supposed to give you a chilling sensation. Very masochistic candy.... the cosmic bubblegum flavor was a delight, though). Now we have merchandise and it's completely inaccessible. I'm a little old to be collecting this stuff, so I really shouldn't complain. But I've been dreaming of Minion figures for quite some time.

And you just know there's not going to be a McDonald's promotion, and they'll do that horrific snail thing instead.

I brought it up in the film thread because movies and merchandise go hand in hand. After all, they made a second Cars because the toys flew off the shelves for months after the first one. Say what you will about the film, they would have been nuts not to make another one.