Family Guy Movie... Oy Vey...

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't care for Family Guy (it's got a few funny jokes here and there), so I'm going to go down the road of non-complaining about it and just ignore it and not see it.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
This reminds me of the time I lost all faith in humanity again!

(Flashback: MrBloogarFoobly reads the article. Suddenly, the Fonze comes in and says "AYYY!" and MrBloogarFoobly says, "Oh no! You get killed in Scream!")

That was crazy!

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I still think the Family Guy is fun. It's always been hit-or-miss. Humor is different for everybody. I see McFarlane as random and wild rather than merely vulgar. That's just a component of it.

A movie would be a great way to end the series and I've heard that he's been planning to do that. The Simpsons have had quite a few weak seasons over the years and I'm glad they're still on the air so who really knows. Either way, I'd still like to see Family Guy live on in a TV movie format.

Ted was really funny and did amazingly well! It cost $50 Million and went on to make a half-billion dollars worldwide, and that's before home video. Fox must be kicking themselves for passing the project along Universal. Expect to see some more of Ted in one way or another.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Ted was really funny and did amazingly well! It cost $50 Million and went on to make a half-billion dollars worldwide, and that's before home video. Fox must be kicking themselves for passing the project along Universal. Expect to see some more of Ted in one way or another.
Ted was the best thing Seth had done in years. It had a lot of the hallmarks of his usual stuff... they even managed to get "foreign guy who's been in the country long enough to almost sound American," even played by the same guy who played him on the show. But it also managed to be full of heart, very unexpected. Not to mention a drop dead parody of bad 1980's kid's movies. I wish Fox would let him off the leash and continue to make movies and put Family Guy out to pasture.

But an actual theatrical movie is what they've been discussing since the first "movie" that was three episodes strung together with more gags and uncensored dialogue. And like I always say, we have a culture that somehow making a movie of a TV show when the TV show is on the air with the original writers and actors and creators is the most confounding thing in the world. And somehow we'd rather wait 20-30 years for a poorly cast gag version of the series written by people who barely understand the concept that rape everyone's childhoods but seem to either completely bomb or do well. We'd probably have an annual Simpsons movie instead of one 20 years later and a theatrical short in front of Ice Age, that gets more movies than a popular show that;s been on 20 years.

Overall, American Dad should get the movie. That would be a much better way to close out that series (especially since Fox wants to bury it for taking away a small fraction of Seth's time). The biggest reason? It's a far more action packed concept. That Rapture episode could have been expanded to 90 minutes and get a theatrical release.

robodog

Reaction score
I still like Family Guy, but I don't enjoy it as much as I used to. I'd probably get the movie on Pay Per View since I never go to theatres. I wonder if they'll try to aim for a PG-13 rating like The Simpsons movie or go all out and aim for a hard R like the South Park movie. I have my doubts that a Family Guy movie would be anywhere near as good as the South Park movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Family Guy would definitely go R. There's no question about that, and the DVD version will be even deeper than that. The movie simply wouldn't work as a PG-13 movie... Though I'd tend to think the Studio would almost force a PG-13 upon them, because Teenagers are their biggest audience. But Seth has enough pull to make it R.

South Park, unlike these Fox Animation Domination shows have had the luxury of having a movie very early on. There's a lot of work behind a weekly series, and that's a big reason why it took the Simpsons 20 years to get a movie (Seth actually pointed that out somewhere, and said that's the reason why there hasn't been a movie yet). Of course, rumor has it that Imagination Land was supposed to get a theatrical release (I'm sure they'd have to clear all the cartoon likenesses possible, though). And yet another rumor stated that the Camp Krusty episode of the Simpsons was their idea for the first movie.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
Oh joy, now Seth McFarlane is getting a whole movie to show how overrated and unfunny FG is. Fantastic. But I'm going to take the high road and leave it at that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But here's the thing. FG is an overrated show, but that means it's popular.

Meanwhile the guy behind Oogieloves, one of the biggest flops in history, is trying for 3 more films. I'd rather something people genuinely like shoved down my throat to someone desperately trying to make something happen.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
And yet another rumor stated that the Camp Krusty episode of the Simpsons was their idea for the first movie.
That's not a rumor, they say so in the commentary for that episode. But during the writing process, they realized that they could barely squeeze an episode out of it, so they scrapped the movie idea cause that would have been impossible. The Camp Krusty song was written because they were coming up short on episode length