1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Family Guy Movie... Oy Vey...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by D'Snowth, Dec 1, 2012.

Buy the Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray and Save 43%!

1. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Snowth summed it up well in two words...Oy vey.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I still don't see the "OY Vey" in something popular getting something that's basically an inevitability. I see worse things getting greenlighted all the time.
  3. MissMusical12

MissMusical12 Well-Known Member

Personally, I enjoy Family Guy....but seeing this as a movie is not really going to work for me. I mean, I could be wrong (In the case of The Simpsons Movie, which I did enjoy very much.) but this one......ehhh.......it's looking a little iffy. :smirk:
  4. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

*winces*

Get me out of this thread!

...a Family Guy movie? Seriously? Aren't people hypnotized by that terrible show enough already without a movie?
    heralde likes this.
  5. Drtooth

Family Guy has been on a very long time, not as long as the Simpsons of course, but There's less and less they can do with a movie. Especially since the characters keep getting flattened into one note jokes. But I've noticed they've been doing more daring action/adventure based plot lines recently, so I can't say a movie wouldn't work, but I wonder if it could. "And then there were fewer" could have been stretched into a film, actually.

Just no *&^% Conway Twitty cutaways. They lost the joke the third time they did it. Especially that horrid O.J. Simpson episode where they did the whole song.
  6. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Active Member

Just as long as no kids try to sneak into it, I'm good. Maybe it will do well in the box office, since the kids at my school all seem to like it.
    But if this isn't bad enough, they're making a second SpongeBob movie! I hope that it's the true finale, since it's seeming to decline in popularity a bit...
  7. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Gah! The ressurgence in the SpongeBob epidemic is getting worse!
  8. Drtooth

Again, I'm sorry... but we SHOULD get more movies based on TV cartoons while they're still being produced. Imagine if they made a proper Inspector Gadget movie in 1984 animated in Japan (like the series), voiced by Don Adams and the rest, and released by DIC rather than the crummy Disney live action picture that randomly came out in 1999? Not even near an anniversary. 1999, when the character wasn't exactly relevant.

Spongebob gets another movie? So what? Rugrats got 3! And if "Rugrats go Wild" did better, we would have had at least 4. The only Nicktoons to get a movie? Rugrats three times, Wild Thornberries Twice (on a technicality, since they shared a movie), Spongebob has 2 (one upcoming), and Hey Arnold. I don't count Doug, since that was under Disney. And I'm not counting Jimmy Neutron or Barnyard, since they were movies with the intent to make into cartoon shows. So, overall there were 6 (including upcoming Spongebob). That's like, less than half the Nicktoons. ALL the Nicktoons should have had a theatrical film. Well... maybe not Rocket Power or As Told by Ginger. But Zim should have had a movie. Meanwhile CN has one. PPG. They chickened out with KND. And Aqua Teen Hunger Force is really Adult Swim.

But my main point is, these shouldn't be rare. I have to play the Japan card again. Dragon Ball, not counting the live action abortion had 13 with one more on the way. Doraemon and Anpanman get one annually. Not every show gets a movie, but most of them do. Granted, "movies" can be as short as 5 minutes and shown in triple bills with other cartoons (that would be awesome over here). When we get a cartoon movie based on a cartoon that's on the air currently, it confounds everyone in the industry. And they usually make back their budget, even as flops. Meanwhile, they'll throw together a bloated massive budget to "update" an old cartoon series that will lose hundreds of millions of dollars and alienate the fanbase. How is that fiscally preferable?
  9. beatnikchick300

beatnikchick300 Active Member

Here's an idea; what if Hollywood just stops adapting TV shows (and books, and comics, and plays/musicals, and old films) into movies and starts coming up with completely new ideas altogether?

And DrTooth, a Spongebob movie wouldn't be bad, if the show itself wasn't, to quote the Nostalgia Critic, beating a dead horse with another dead horse (to the point that even its target audience, if the ratings are any indication, are starting to get sick of it).
    charlietheowl likes this.
  10. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Here's the problem:

1. Hollywood itself is OUT of new ideas, mainly because all the successful ideas have already been used up, hence why most movies you see nowadays are either rehashes of previously successful pictures, or adaptations of TV shows, books, et al.
    2. The people who actually DO have new ideas are never given a chance, because Hollywood (and the entertaiment industry as a whole) is so picky-choosy, really, you have to KNOW people in the industry to even be considered to be given a chance.
    3. Even if Hollywood does have new ideas, they don't want to take the risks to try them out, so they rely on things that have been done before, because they know they worked before.

And how many times has a new show come out, and in interviews with the creators/producers/showrunners/whoever, say, "Yeah, well, we modeled this show after such-and-such show, it's really the great-grandaddy of our show."? Heck, a recent new medical drama (see, even those are already a dime a dozen), the creators actually confess that they're trying to make their own version of M*A*S*H.
  11. Drtooth

Two reasons...

"Original" usually translates to boring Oscar bait about two old people talking about their relationship (I hate "As Time Goes By," if that's any help) or something that happened in the past that severs as a loose allegory for something happening that we can't do anything about if we even genuinely cared. Basically a movie you'd never see, want to see, or care about. They only make those kinds of films as vanity pictures. And even then, the "original" movies are cliche ridden and unoriginal (you'll see why later). Studios aren't out of ideas. They just want the ideas that make them money. That's why Oscar movies go in quietly and only get real releases in real theaters for a week around the time the main stream hears about the nominations. And then we have this Emperor's new Clothes thing where people pretend to care about them because they think it makes them smart. Not that the films aren't good, mind you, but people have to stop acting like just because they don't make The Godfather every year that you can't have a movie that's well done and fun to watch. besides, most of the movies we consider "classics" Failed in their time.

But then again, it's impossible to be truly original... If you have any vague notion of a narrative, it's been done.

But, again... Rugrats had 3, and almost 4. Spongebob was Nick's only hit cartoon series for years because they refused to let anything else flourish that wasn't a live action show. That was when the Disney Channel. I don't need to finish that sentence. It's more like flogging money with money. Show's been on well over 10 years, older audiences are kinda sick of it, but there hasn't been anything else, except maybe Fairly Oddparents and Avatar/Korra (they are supposedly working on a Korra animated picture as well) that Nick really cares about. Personally, I'd love every Nicktoon to have a theatrical movie, but they're going to be selective because of Hey Arnold flopping. I'm sure a Ren and Stimpy one would have been over time and over budget, and firing John K would have resulted in a Theif and Cobbler situation. I don't see why any of the FOP films were released that way (Wishology would have). And Zim would have made an excellent movie, but Nick pretended it was on another channel. And I don't think we should really want one anyway, since the creator vowed never to work for mainstream animation ever again. And I really really wish the upcoming TMNT movie were connected to the current TV show (with better, fuller animation) instead of Michael Bay (who ruined it just by being producer).

Still, it's a feat for an American television cartoon to get A theatrically released animated film, let alone 2. Meanwhile, Japan's making like the 16th Dragon Ball film.