Family Guy Movie... Oy Vey...

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's an idea; what if Hollywood just stops adapting TV shows (and books, and comics, and plays/musicals, and old films) into movies and starts coming up with completely new ideas altogether?
Two reasons...

"Original" usually translates to boring Oscar bait about two old people talking about their relationship (I hate "As Time Goes By," if that's any help) or something that happened in the past that severs as a loose allegory for something happening that we can't do anything about if we even genuinely cared. Basically a movie you'd never see, want to see, or care about. They only make those kinds of films as vanity pictures. And even then, the "original" movies are cliche ridden and unoriginal (you'll see why later). Studios aren't out of ideas. They just want the ideas that make them money. That's why Oscar movies go in quietly and only get real releases in real theaters for a week around the time the main stream hears about the nominations. And then we have this Emperor's new Clothes thing where people pretend to care about them because they think it makes them smart. Not that the films aren't good, mind you, but people have to stop acting like just because they don't make The Godfather every year that you can't have a movie that's well done and fun to watch. besides, most of the movies we consider "classics" Failed in their time.

But then again, it's impossible to be truly original... If you have any vague notion of a narrative, it's been done.

And DrTooth, a Spongebob movie wouldn't be bad, if the show itself wasn't, to quote the Nostalgia Critic, beating a dead horse with another dead horse (to the point that even its target audience, if the ratings are any indication, are starting to get sick of it).
But, again... Rugrats had 3, and almost 4. Spongebob was Nick's only hit cartoon series for years because they refused to let anything else flourish that wasn't a live action show. That was when the Disney Channel. I don't need to finish that sentence. It's more like flogging money with money. Show's been on well over 10 years, older audiences are kinda sick of it, but there hasn't been anything else, except maybe Fairly Oddparents and Avatar/Korra (they are supposedly working on a Korra animated picture as well) that Nick really cares about. Personally, I'd love every Nicktoon to have a theatrical movie, but they're going to be selective because of Hey Arnold flopping. I'm sure a Ren and Stimpy one would have been over time and over budget, and firing John K would have resulted in a Theif and Cobbler situation. I don't see why any of the FOP films were released that way (Wishology would have). And Zim would have made an excellent movie, but Nick pretended it was on another channel. And I don't think we should really want one anyway, since the creator vowed never to work for mainstream animation ever again. And I really really wish the upcoming TMNT movie were connected to the current TV show (with better, fuller animation) instead of Michael Bay (who ruined it just by being producer).

Still, it's a feat for an American television cartoon to get A theatrically released animated film, let alone 2. Meanwhile, Japan's making like the 16th Dragon Ball film.