1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Fan Poll: Favorite Muppet Christmas Production

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Phillip, Dec 19, 2011.

?

What is your favorite Muppet Christmas production?

1. A Muppet Family Christmas (1987)

76 vote(s)
    62.8%
  2. A Muppets Christmas - Letters to Santa (2008)

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  3. It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie (2002)

10 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. John Denver and The Muppets - A Christmas Together (1979)

8 vote(s)
    6.6%
  5. The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)

26 vote(s)
    21.5%

1. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Muppet Family Christmas...
    No question.

2. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Well-Known Member

In all honesty, I've never even seen that one. But I do have quite a few copies of the CD.

I voted for MFC. It's always been traditional for me to watch that with my mom during the holidays. Lol. I guess I said that a billion times already.

3. dabauckham

dabauckham Member

I'm not sure I've seen the Christmas John Denver special either. I do have the Rocky Mountain Holiday one, though.

Let me jump on the popular bandwagon here, I really LOVE LOVE LOVE MFC, and I hope that some day somewhere they rerelease it here in the U.S. , particularly if they can do it as originally aired. Like others have mentioned, I love the merging of the 3 worlds, but also there's something just so genuinely heartwarming about this special. Only the Muppets can do this, you know? In my opinion, a great many holiday specials are rubbish, often very cheesy, predictable or shallow, but the Muppets hit deep and straight to the heart.

Like Drtooth, I also love Christmas Eve on Sesame Street - another classic.

My other big love goes to Emmet Otter, but I see that is for another poll/discussion.
    So my ranking order for this list is:

Muppet Family Christmas (far and above anything else on this list)
    Muppet Christmas Carol
    Letters to Santa
    IVMMC
    John Denver special (mainly because I'm not too familiar with it, though it probably still wouldn't outrank the others, except maybe IVMMC)

4. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

That's about right. It's sort of typical '70s special that meanders all over the place, lol. But again it's got a gorgeous soundtrack, some great Muppet moments and the Nativity scene is very touching. And yes, despite its flaws it's much better than IVMMC. ;)

5. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

I voted for Muppet Family Christmas. Muppet Christmas Carol would be #2. To be honest, I've never seen the other 3.
    BTW, I'm glad someone else mentioned Rocky Mountain Holiday because I recently got that DVD at a pawn shop but then realized it wasn't the John Denver Christmas special everyone talks about. It was still worth getting, though.

6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

My ranking:
    1. A Muppet Family Christmas
    2. It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie
    3. The Muppet Christmas Carol
    4. Letters to Santa

I have not seen A Christmas Together. I've watched a few clips on YouTube, listend to audio on The MuppetCast, and have the album (the release that's missing a few songs). If I were to see it I wouldn't expect to put it in the top two spots (but then again, I'd have to see the whole thing). I listen to the album every year, but don't consider it to be one of the best Muppet albums, though I've been listening to it alot this year and have been appreciating more of the songs this year than before (in the past I've gotten especially bored with the John Denver-heavy songs, but now I'm listening to them alot).

I enjoy some of the songs. The 12 Days of Christmas is a classic, and the one that seems to play on the radio the most (though I haven't heard it on the radio at all this year), with Deck the Halls a close second (I've even heard Silent Night on the radio this year). My favorite from the album is The Christmas Wish, though I prefer Kermit's solo version from the album. After watching the clip from the special, I feel the version from the special isn't as good. Maybe it's just the audio quality from the copy that was uploaded to YouTube, but the music and Kermit's vocals don't sound as sweet as in the album, though in the special John Denver's vocals sound better than Kermit's.

Hmmm, when it comes to the album, it's a shame John Denver didn't do more duets with Muppet characters. He and Kermit sing The Christmas Wish together in the special but in the album version it's primarily sung by just Kermit. The only duet in the album is Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, which is ommitted from certain releases. It should have included a duet between John Denver and Miss Piggy, or a song with Denver, Kermit, adn Piggy or Fozzie. Then again, I know that John Denver recorded his vocals seperately from the Muppets, leaving room for the Muppets. Maybe it would have been harder for there to be duets. Most of the tracks with both John Denver and the Muppets either don't have many vocals by Denver or don't have many vocals by the Muppets.

And one thing that makes me most feel like the special wouldn't be one of my favorites: I get the feeling that the special only has the major characters, with some significant (at the time) characters missing (Link, Strangepork, Sweetums). The lack of many minor characters is one of the problems I have with The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show and the other John Denver and the Muppets special, but then again, I've recently realised that just because a special doesn't have too many characters doesn't automatically make it bad (after all, I really like Christmas Eve on Sesame Street and Don't Eat the Pictures, both of which have a limited number of characters, and I like Miss Piggy's Hollywood better than The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show, which has more characters than MPH). But mayeb I'm spoiled by all the characters who appeared in MFC (though everything about that special is perfect, not just because it has so many characters).

Whoa, I focused a lot on a special I haven't seen (okay, so I did speak more about the album) without talking much about the ones I had seen.

7. heralde

That's not so much the issue. It's more that the special goes a long time just showing John Denver's stuff. I mean if you're a fan of John Denver (which I am, and my family as well), that's great. But if you just want to see the Muppets, you'd probably be doing a lot of fast forwarding, lol.

But there are definitely some great John Denver moments with the Muppets, such as the first scene with all the Muppets together. And also John's conversation with Kermit just before "Christmas Wish."

8. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's one of my main issues with Rocky Mountain Holiday (aside from a somewhat small cast... it should have at least had the whole Electric Mayhem on the trip... In fact why was Dr. Teeth missing from all of the early 1980s Muppet specials?). The scenes with John just singing over nature footage is boring. But that special does have a number of good scenes with just the Muppets so maybe they were trying to balance the non-John Denver content with the non-Muppet content.

9. heralde

See I love the nature footage, lol. But again I guess it's partially because I grew up hearing John Denver music (including the Rocky Mountain Holiday record album, lol) so it's always something I feel comfortable with.

Maybe because I know Jim said doing Dr. Teeth's voice was a bit taxing.

10. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

My favorite Muppet Christmas specials & movies in no particular order.

- The Great Santa Claus Switch

- Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas

- Christmas Eve on Sesame Street :wisdom:

-John Denver & The Muppets: A Christmas Together :)

- A Muppet Family Christmas :o

- The Muppet Christmas Carol :concern:

- A Muppets Christmas: Letters To Santa :rolleyes:

I also love the Christmas based sketches the Muppets performed on Ed Sullivan with the Reindeers and the monsters with Santa (Arthur Godfrey) and King Ploobis' Christmas Party on SNL.

heralde likes this.
  11. Spottedfeather

Spottedfeather New Member

I really love Muppet Family Christmas. Luckily, I have the original 1987 airing that I taped off of tv when I was a kid. I'd really like to get the dvd, but not unless all the missing scenes are put back in.

RyanKindredCork likes this.
  12. vettech28

vettech28 Well-Known Member

Here are my favorite Muppet Christmas productions of all time:
    1. Emmet Otter's Jug-band Christmas
    2. Fraggle Rock- The Bells of Fraggle Rock
    3. A Muppet Family Christmas
    4. A Muppet Christmas Carol
    5. Christmas Eve on Sesame Street
    6. John Denver and The Muppets: A Christmas Together
    7. The Christmas Toy
    8. Elmo Saves Christmas
    9. A Berry Bear Christmas- I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this special, but I remember this "Bear in the Big Blue House" Christmas special years ago when it first showed on the Disney Channel. I like the plot, the humor and heart in the special like a Christmas production should be.

13. RyanKindredCork

RyanKindredCork New Member

I have always loved Muppet Family Christmas more than any of them. I would list them in this order:
    1) Muppet Family Christmas
    2) The Muppet Christmas Carol
    3) Its a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Special
    4) John Denver
    5) Letters to Santa (this one didn't have the same feel that #3 did)

What I would like to see is a re-release of "Muppet Family Christmas" without all the edits that they made in the 90s . . . I remember that special coming on TV and freaking out that Sesame Street and the Fraggles were on there!!! I had it on VHS (unedited from Nich Jr) till Hurrican Katrina destroyed it . . . so now I keep hoping they release it again!!!

14. Puckrox

Puckrox Well-Known Member

So, I'm watching A Christmas Together right now for the first time. And you know what?

It is delightful. It is so gosh darn delightful, I can't even find words to describe the joy it instills in me.

heralde likes this.
  15. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

I watched it again earlier today! Splendid! It's really a great special, especially the nativity scene!

heralde likes this.
  16. Puckrox

Puckrox Well-Known Member

I'm not to the nativity scene yet. I'm at Piggy's Fifi number. Ha, and she just referenced TMM! Brilliant!

After this I'm going to watch Muppet Christmas Carol and then Letters to Santa (already watched Muppet Family Christmas earlier). T'is a very Muppety Christmas day!

17. Yorick

Yorick Active Member

It's hard to put art in a definite order like this. But I will try:
    1. A Muppet Family Christmas (1987)
    2. The Muppet Christmas Carol (1992)
    3. John Denver and The Muppets - A Christmas Together (1979)
    4. A Muppets Christmas - Letters to Santa (2008)
    5. It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie (2002)
    1. Is just perfect.
    2. Is so wonderful with Michael Caine and the poignant Paul Williams songs and the way our beloved Muppeteers sang them! The whole movie is great, and it was nice to hear Michael Caine sing, too!
    3. Love The Muppets and John Denver, so what's not to like?
    4. This was a nice one! I liked it more than 5.
    5. It was the first Muppet related anything that I didn't like - at first. Then it grew on me! :) Now, I haven't yet seen "The Great Muppet Reboot" (as my friend calls the new film) but in the meantime, I like all they've done from 1955 to today! :)
    With a special place in my heart for the first 35 years, of course.

18. Barbarella

Barbarella New Member

I remember the John Denver one, but have not seen it since I was little. And
    I made the mistake of purchasing Rocky Mountain Holiday, thinking it was the Christmas one last year. That was just awful. Great to see classic Muppets, but so boring I had to fast forward through most of it.

That being said, Muppet Family Christmas is my all time favorite. The version I have is the old VHS with Muppet Babies and the Snowman cut out. And I could swear there is more cut out from what I remember. But I watch it every year on Christmas!

19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I really am struggling with whether I like MFC and CEOSS better. They're both just so great. CEOSS is very emotionally driven. You get a lot of great character emotions you don't usually see (even in the old days). Ernie and Bert subtly saying their friendship is more important than even their most prized of possessions... Oscar feeling genuine guilt and sympathy for causing Big Bird to get lost on Christmas eve... almost being more worried than anyone else...Big Bird grappling with his faith in Santa Claus. It's all just a wonderfully done Christmas special.

I never saw the Christmas Carol style clip show Sesame Street special. I don't think I even genuinely would care to. Only for being a clip show.

20. Dominicboo1

Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

I love Muppet Christmas Carol best. Muppet Family Christmas is a close 2nd. Though if I saw it unedited (hint hint), it might change my opinion.