Fanfiction: The Fraggle From Outer Space

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice. Intrigued to find out more about the Minstrels' members as Cantus takes to teaching the Fragglian way to Goldie. Thanks, more please!

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I saw the plant thing coming a mile away... rofl.

This is pretty good. I don't usually read OCs, but I think you've done an excellent job with this one. I actually care about her origin. And LOL at her "Are you ON something" line to Cantus. Been wanting to say that for years. :big_grin:

Gold Demona

Reaction score
Chapter 12

The Fraggle From Outer Space
Chapter 12

“What’s cookin’, Grandma?" Goldie asked as she hopped down the stairs into the kitchen. “Smells really good.”

“Well, dear," the silver-haired woman replied, wiping what was left of the cooking grime from her hands on a nearby rag, “Since this’ll probably be our last weekend together, I figured I’d make your favorite dish for dinner tonight.”

“The lasagna you make so well with that tomato and radish sauce?"

“That’s the one. And you can even take some with you for the long trip.”

“Oh, Grandma," Goldie said as she took a seat at the table, “You don’t have to do all that just for me. It’ll just make the goodbye that much harder.”
Grandma giggled as she put her cloth down and sat at the table with Goldie.

“Promise you won’t forget us?"

“Don’t be silly, Grandma. I’d never forget you and Grandpa.”

A door opened behind them and an elderly man stepped into the kitchen, arriving at home after a long day at work. As soon as the door was shut, he sniffed at the air.

“Honey, are you making that funny sauce again?"

“I’m making it for Goldie. You know how much she loves it when I make it.”

“I know. I’m just kidding. Something to keep my mind off the fact that our little Goldie is leaving us in a few days.”

He hung his hat and coat and joined the two at the table.

“Seems like only yesterday you were just a little ball of fluff running around screaming your scales and arpeggios.”

Goldie giggled in embarrassment as she imagined herself as a tiny fraggle singing her first notes.

“You hadn’t even said your first words yet, and you were already singing so beautifully," Grandma said as she began to tear up, “And dancing to everything you sung before you could even walk.”

“You promise me that you’ll make lots of friends when you get there," Grandpa ordered, waving his pointing finger at her, “Do I make myself clear?"

“Yes, sir," Goldie saluted.

“And Goldie," said Grandpa, “If you ever feel like you need to come back to us, and I mean REALLY need to, you’ll know where to find us.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll come back to visit.”

“That’s a really long way to come and visit, dear," Grandma replied, “Are you sure you can handle that?"

“I mean it, Grandma," she said, “Even if Fraggle Rock is supposed to be where I’m from, my home has always been here with you. And it always will be.”

Then Goldie opened her eyes, and she was back in her cave on her rock hard bed. She looked around her room as she remembered where she was, glancing over to the suitcase on the rock slab table, and then to the picture frame on the shelf on the far wall.

“Well, that’s an odd thing to be dreaming," she thought to herself as she got up from her bed and got ready for the task ahead.

------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Goldie walked through the tunnels, retracing her steps back to the cavern that Cantus had taken her to earlier. All the while, she was trying to think.

“Dang it," she sighed, “All this time I could’ve spent thinking, but instead I spent it sleeping. I still haven’t figured out what that old hippie wants me to listen for. I guess there’s no point trying to avoid it.”

She slowed down as she stepped inside the cavern. She stopped right in front of the small puddle with the water dripping from the stalactite above.

“What’s so special about this dripping water?"

When Cantus noticed Goldie had already arrived before him, he stopped just short of the cavern’s entrance. He stayed in the shadows and watched.

Goldie watched each drop as it fell, one after another. Then she remembered something, and listened. That’s when she realized:

“The time between drops is always the same. Hmm.”

Then she heard something else.

“What’s that?"

She stepped towards this new sound and found more puddles, all with stalactites above them dripping water in an almost systematic pattern.

“There’s a rhythm to this," she realized out loud. “That’s it. That’s what Cantus wanted me to listen for. The rhythm of these drops.”

She listened some more and began to sway to the beat.

“Drip, drip, drop," she said to the beat of the drops. “Drip, drip, drop. Drip, drip, drop. Drip, drip, drop.”

(Goldie)
Drip, drip, drop
Little drops of water.
Beating a tune as you fall all around

Drip, drip, drop
Little drops of water.
What can compare to your beautiful sound?
Beautiful sound.
Beautiful sound.

Drip, drop, drip, drop.

Drip, drip, drop
Little drops of water.
Your pretty music can brighten the day.

Drip, drip, drop
Little drops of water.
I sing along and my cares fly away.

“Hey, I did it!" she bounced with excitement, “I did it! I could control it! How’d I do that?"

“You listened to the rhythm of the Rock," Cantus said as he finally walked in. “And you sang to it.”

“So what happened before?"

“Each world has its own rhythm, and everything in it must follow. You lived in Outer Space, where the rhythm is very different. You heard and felt the rhythm of Fraggle Rock, but you sang to the rhythm of Outer Space. That’s why you had trouble.”

“You couldn’t have told me that before?"

“You needed to hear it for yourself before I could explain it to you. One cannot know what they have not listened to. You have listened, and now you know.”

“So why with all the secrecy? Why didn’t you want me to tell anyone else about this?"

“Music is the lifeblood of any fraggle. To have no control over it is the greatest of shames. I wanted to save you that embarrassment.”

“Oh...”

“BUT now that you have learned the rhythm, we can return to the others so we can share what you have learned today, but without sharing what you didn’t know to begin with.”

“Sounds good to—Wait, what?"

“Boober!" called Gobo “What’re you doing now?"

Gobo and Wembley were standing just outside of Boober’s room, which had once again been blocked with blankets pinned across the openings.

“Stay away from me!" Boober quivered from inside, “There’s no hope for me. You should save yourself while you have the chance.”

“So you’re quarantining yourself again?" Wembley asked, “But in reverse?"

“Exactly! I told you this would happen! And now I’m doomed!"

“Boober, you’re not doomed!" Gobo yelled, “Whatever this is you think you got is all in yer head!"

“You wouldn’t be saying that if you were feeling like this. Not that I want you to, which is why I’ve blocked myself off.”

“Ugh! Fine, Boober! Stay in there! Come on, Wembley. Let’s go back to the Great Hall. Maybe Cantus is finally back.”

“Okay.”

“I gotta say, Mokey," commented one of the Minstrels, “That’s a pretty good likeness.”

Mokey had just finished her painting and was showing it to them. Though it was difficult to speak at times with Red hollering in the background for everyone to watch her dives.

“Sure is," Murray agreed, “But hey, what’s with the blank spot in the middle?"

“Oh, that! Well," Mokey said and then cleared her throat, “You see, that’s where Cantus is going to be when I get the chance to put him in.”

“Well, good luck getting him to stay put and pose for you. We did it cuz we got nothin’ better to do while we wait for ‘im. Speaking of the Boss, here he comes now.”

“Oh, Cantus," Mokey called as Cantus entered the Great Hall, “You came back. Did you finish what you were doing with Goldie?"

“Indeed I have, and now we are ready.”

“Ready for what?"

“For the music to begin. Goldie?"

Goldie nervously stepped up from behind Cantus.

“I leave you the honors.”

“Me?"

“Yes you.”

Goldie gulped as the other fraggles gathered around, waiting for the music to finally start.

“Well...” Goldie paused, “I, uh...”

“Goldie.”

She looked up at Cantus.

“Remember. Listen.”

She nodded and took a deep breath.

(Goldie)
I’m nothing special. In fact, I’m a bit of a bore.
If I tell a joke, you’ve probably heard it before.
But I’ve got a talent, a wonderful thing.
‘Cuz everyone listens when I start to sing.
I’m so grateful and proud.
All I want is to sing it out loud.
So I say...

(Goldie, Cantus, and the Minstrels)
Thank you for the music.
The songs I’m singing.
Thanks for all
The joy they’re bringing.
Who can live without it?

(Goldie)
I ask in all honesty.
What would life be?
Without a song or a dance, what are we?
So I say...

Thank you for the music.

(Goldie)
For giving it to me.

Grandma says I was a dancer before I could walk.
She says I began to sing long before I could talk.
And I’ve often wondered, how did it all start?
Who found out that nothing can capture a heart
Like a melody can?
Well, whoever it was, I’m their fan.
So I say...

Thank you for the music.
The songs I’m singing.
Thanks for all

Who can live without it?
I ask in all honesty.
What would life be?
So I say thank you for the music.

(Goldie)
For giving it to me.

I’ve been so lucky.
I feel like I can walk on air.
I want to sing it out to everybody.
What a joy, what a life, what a chance!

(Everyone)
Thank you for the music.
The songs I’m singing.
Thanks for all

Who can live without it?
I ask in all honesty.
What would life be?
So I say thank you for the music.

(Goldie, looking right at Cantus)
For giving it to me.

Cantus smiled and gave her a quick head bow. The fraggles all cheered as the song came to its close.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Song Credits:
- Little Drops of Water—lyrics mildly modified from “Little April Shower“ from Disney’s Bambi.
- Thank You For the Music—by Abba, lyrics slightly modified

Author's Note: I wanted to avoid using an Abba song here, because of the fact that I'd already used one earlier in the fic, and that I plan on using another one sometime later on. But I just couldn't find another song that would fit this part as well as this one did. =/
So if I seem like I have a fixation on Abba, I apologize. =P

Gold Demona

Reaction score
Chapter 13

The Fraggle From Outer Space
Chapter 13

“I don’t care what you say! I’m not coming out!”

Red and Mokey were trying their hand at convincing Boober to come out of his cave.

“Boober, you are being ridiculous!” Red yelled, “What could you possibly have that could be so awful that you’d have to block yourself away?”

“It’s a horrible deadly disease, and the Trash Heap confirmed it!”

“Didn’t we already go through this?” Red groaned, rolling her eyes at the blanket-blocked door. “At the expense of Goldie’s feelings?”

“Back then, I was worried about getting it. Now I’m just preventing it from spreading. So I’m just going to sit right in here until I die so nobody else has to go through this.”

“Oh, how VERY noble of you, Boober.”

“Red, please,” Mokey said, “Boober. Don’t you think you’re being just a little bit silly? You sound just fine to me.”

“Silly? SILLY? Mokey, I have never been further from silly in my LIFE! If I were any less silly, I’d be a rock!”

“I think he’s got rocks in his head,” Red whispered.

“Well, Boober,” Mokey said, “I can’t say we didn’t try.”

The two of them then walked away, leaving Boober to his self-made solitude. He rolled over on his bed and let his mind wander.

“So this is it,” he thought to himself, “This is what it’s like to suffer from an incurable illness. It’s awful, and yet somehow, I always imagined it to feel a lot worse than this.”

He sat up and stared at his feet for a moment.

“Maybe Mokey’s right. Maybe I am just being silly.”

At that moment, Goldie walked by and noticed that the barricade was back up. Confused, she pulled the blanket aside and peeked inside.

“Boober? What’s going on?”

“AH! Goldie!” Boober yelled as he bolted to the door and pushed her back out, “Get back!”

“What the--? Boober?”

“I’m so so sorry, Goldie. I don’t want to hurt your feelings again, but I don’t want anyone else to catch this awful sickness!”

“Sickness? What sickness? What’re you talking about? You look and sound perfectly fine to me.”

“But I feel like I’m going to die!”

“You’re a hypochondriac, too?”

“I am no such thing! My fear of death and disease is perfectly legitimate! And I’m amazed you even know what that word means.”

“Are you saying you think I’m an idiot?”

“NO! No! Nononononono! Of course not! No! Don’t be ridiculous! Why would I suggest such a thing?”

Goldie could tell there was something else going on with Boober and that it had nothing to do with illness, and she was starting to go crazy trying to talk to him about it.

“Boober, what is the matter with you? If you’ve got a problem, then say what it is. Just don’t pretend it’s some kind of disease when it actually isn’t.”

“But it IS a disease! The Trash Heap said so!”

“The Trash Heap told you you were sick?”

“Yes! Yes, she did!”

“You know what? You’re really starting to get on my nerves. I’m gonna go find some really big doozer constructions to vent my rage on, okay? So when and if you decide to jump off your emo train and talk about what your REAL problem is, just let me know.”

“Emo what? I don’t even know what that is! What are you talking about?”

“ARGH! Never mind! I’m leaving!”

“Fine! Leave me alone here to die!”

“You’re NOT dying!”

“Yes I am!”

“ARGH! You are infuriating! You make me wanna...! You make me so...! GOODBYE!”

Goldie marched off with her tail poofed to its max from all the anger she’d built up. When her heavy footsteps finally faded away, Boober breathed a whiney sigh. Then he felt a sort of tightness in his chest and the sudden need to loosen his scarf.

“Oh, now look what I’ve done!” he moaned to himself, “She’s furious with me! And now I feel even worse! Oh, I’m so glad I didn’t tell her that she was the one who gave this to me. Who knows what she would’ve done if I did? Oh, why is this so difficult? I don’t want her to be angry with me, but... But...”

He breathed a resigning sigh and sat down on the rocky floor beside the door.

“Ah!” Mokey gasped, clasping her hands together, “Boober’s in LOVE?”

“It would certainly appear so,” answered the Trash Heap.

“Head over heals in it,” said Gunge.

“Smitten, even,” Philo added.

“But the way HE put it, you’d think he was dying,” Red commented.

“Unfortunately, he doesn’t know a good thing when he sees one,” the Trash Heap replied.

“Ha! Tell me about it,” Red rolled her eyes.

“Well, I gave him my advice on the matter,” the Trash Heap continued, “Whether or not he took it is his own problem.”

“Can you tell us who it is, Madame Heap?” said Mokey. “The one he’s fallen in love with?”

“Couldn’t tell ya,” she answered, shrugging her large cluttered shoulders.

“I don’t think HE even knew,” Gunge added.

“Guess he was too busy thinkin’ he was sick,” said Philo.

“Oh, poor Boober,” said Mokey. “Thank you, Madame Heap.”

“No problem,” she replied and waved as the two fraggles left.

“Say,” Philo started after they were gone, “Ya think maybe it’s cuz of how we said it?”

“Well, we did tell ‘im he was lovesick.”

“Oh dear,” sighed the Trash Heap, “I fear we may have caused a little more trouble than we bargained for.”

“Want us to go fix it, Marjory?”

“No, I don’t think that’s necessary. I’m certain the fraggles can work this out on their own. And if not, we’ll most certainly be seeing them again sooner or later.”

“Yeah, you’re probably right.”

“Geez,” Red groaned as they walked, “Leave it to Boober to take something like love and twist it into something awful.”

“Oh, but Red. He doesn’t realize what it is yet. He probably still thinks it actually IS something awful.”

“Even though the Trash Heap TOLD him that it wasn’t?”

“Well, you know how he is.”

“Yeah. He’s boring, paranoid, and thinks everything’s a disease.”

“And that’s why we have to help him.”

“We? Oh no, Mokey. No thanks. I’m sittin’ this one out. If Boober wants to make himself miserable about this, that’s his own problem. I’m gonna go do something productive. And a whole lot more fun.”

“Oh? And what’s that?”

“Try and break the world record for biggest splash in a fraggle pond.”

“Oh. Well, I’m sure if anyone can do it, you can, Red.”

“Yup, that’s why I’m trying it.”

“I do wonder though who it is Boober’s in love with.”

“Whoever it is, I sure hope it’s somebody he gets along with.”

“AAAAAAUUUUUGGHH! RAH! AH! HIYAH!”

Cotterpin watched in awe from behind a nearby boulder as the furious pale yellow fraggle rampaged through the massive collection of doozer constructions.

“That JERK!” Goldie yelled and smashed some more, “That STUPID, STUPID, STUPID JERK! RRRRR!”

“I cannot believe my eyes,” she said to herself. “I’ve never seen a fraggle this mad before.”

“Cotterpin Doozer!” called an angry-sounding elder voice from directly behind her.

She turned around to see the Chief Architect Doozer impatiently tapping his toe at her. The only other doozer that wore a visor instead of a helmet. An old ratchety male of white hair and moustache. He was one of the oldest doozers on the workforce, and also one of the toughest to work for.

“Cotterpin, where have you been? Your absence has caused a panic amongst your family and friends, not to mention your mentor, which would namely be ME! How in the name of all Doozerdom do you ever expect to become a respectable Chief Architect if you abandon your duties to go watch fraggles?”

“But, Mister Architect, sir,” Cotterpin whispered, “This is the one I was telling you about. The one that’d never seen doozers before, remember? She’s right over there. Look at her.”

“Cotterpin, we don’t have time for this nonsense! There’s work to be done, and plans to be drawn!”

“Oh, alright.”

She hung her head and followed the old doozer away, both taking glances at the raging force they were leaving behind.

“GOHDZEELAAAAAH!” she screamed as she bit into one of the taller towers and broke it to pieces, while also swinging her arms and knocking down several nearby towers in the process. “RAAARRRRR!”

“Although, I must say, Cotterpin, that she is definitely a strange one,” the Architect commented, “Even for a fraggle.”

“I told you she was, didn’t I?”

“Yes, and if she carries on like that all the time, we can only hope she stays around longer.”

And with that, they continued on home, leaving Goldie to her rampage.

“HA!” she yelled as she kicked down the last of the standing constructions and then pointed at it, “Take that, pent up emotion!”

She spent the next few moments panting, hands on her hips, as she looked around at the path of destruction she laid.

“Well, I feel better now,” she panted, “That was quite a workout.”

She sat down amongst the piles of broken doozer sticks so she could rest and think. Then she figured while she was there, she’d go ahead and munch on the spoils of her personal war.

“These doozers are geniuses, I swear,” she said as she crunched, “Good for eating AND taking out your anger. I don’t even remember what I was so mad about.”

“Boober,” Mokey sing-songed from outside Boober’s room, “Oh, Boober.”

“Yes, Mokey.”

“I brought you some good news.”

“If it’s not a cure for my ailment, then I don’t want to hear it.”

“But Boober, you don’t HAVE an ailment. I just spoke with the Trash Heap, and she says you’re perfectly fine.”

“What do you mean ‘perfectly fine’? She told me I was lovesick. How is that perfectly fine?”

“Well, that’s just it, Boober. Lovesickness isn’t a disease. You’re just in love. That’s all.”

There was a long silence, and then Boober’s head appeared from behind the blanket, a very confused look adorned on his face.

“In love? You think I’m in love?”

“Well, that’s what lovesickness is, Boober,” she explained and leaned closer to him. “The feeling of being in love.”

The tightness in Boober’s chest suddenly felt tighter.

“And this is GOOD news?”

“Oh, Boober. I envy you so. I wish I could experience it for myself. Being in love is a wonderful thing.”

“If it’s so wonderful, then why does it feel so awful?”

“Well, that’s because you’re feeling it by yourself, silly. For love to really feel wonderful, the one you’re in love with must also be in love with you. Joined together in beautiful harmony. Hand in hand, tail to tail. And the best part is when you truly know you’ve found your one true love, the two of you will always sing songs together, even when you’re worlds apart.”

“You’ve really given this a lot of thought, haven’t you?”

“It is my dream.”

“Yeah, well, it isn’t mine.”

He stepped back inside and began to take his blankets back down.

“All this hand in hand, tail to tail stuff just sounds silly. I don’t want any of it.”

“But why not?”

“Mokey, this love thing might be well and good for you, but to me it’s just a nuisance. It’s because of all this that Goldie’s so angry with me right now.”

“Oh, so it’s Goldie?”

“Gng!” Boober stuttered as his face turned nearly as red as his hair. “I uh, well. Um. You see. It’s, um...”

“Aw, Boober.”

Mokey walked in and placed her hand on his shoulder.

“It’s okay. There’s nothing to be ashamed of.”

“Mokey, please don’t tell anyone, especially Goldie. Her opinion of me already isn’t all that great. I don’t want it to get any worse if she finds out.”

“Don’t you worry, Boober,” she said and made a zipper motion over her lips, “My lips are sealed. No one will know.”
He breathed a sigh of relief.

“But I want you to promise me something, Boober.”

“What’s that?”

“Promise me that you’ll tell her yourself.”

“What?”

“Trust me, Boober. You’ll feel a lot better if you do.”

“How can I take your word for it if you’ve never done it before?”

She leaned lower and brought her face closer to his.

“Promise me, Boober.”

“Alright! Alright! I promise! ...I’ll tell her.”

“Good,” she said as she patted him on the head and turned to leave. “I’ll leave you to it, then.”

She trotted out of the room and out of sight. Boober lifted a finger to his chin as he thought.

“I can’t decide if this is better or worse than having a fatal illness, especially with Goldie being as mad at me as she is.”

He walked over to his bed and laid himself down in it.

“Maybe if I sleep on this, I’ll be able to think of what I’m gonna do. Although, I doubt I’ll get any sleep with all these uncomfortable feelings I’m having.”

He let out a sigh as he adjusted himself on the bead, falling asleep almost immediately as his head hit the pillow.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
LOL ... I've always loved how one had to go to Trash Heap to learn what the heck she must've said because someone is totally freakin' out about it ... like during that prank ep.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Wha-huh? Why you sneaky little demona. Posting a new chapter in the early morning hours. And yet, I love it. Not only do we get another blow-out between Boober and Goldie(whose gargoyle form I love as much as her Fragglian encarnation), but we get the delightful addition of Red and Mokey's intervention. When Mokey was talking to Boober, her true character shone better than it has up to now I feel. The dreamer... The older sister/den mother... Making Boober promise he'd tell Goldie about the lovesickness... This was vonderful. Thanks and hope more gets posted.