1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Help Muppet Central Radio
    We need your help to continue Muppet Central Radio. Show your support and listen regularly and often via Radionomy's website, official apps and the WinAmp Media Player. Learn More

3. Sesame Street Season 49
    Sesame Street's 49th season officially began Saturday November 17 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Favorite Books/Authors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by newsmanfan, May 8, 2011.

1. ElectricMayhem1

ElectricMayhem1 Well-Known Member

They sure are................your dad is Jewish??

2. ElectricMayhem1

Wow.......that's good that they were never put in Camps........

3. newsmanfan

newsmanfan Well-Known Member

--------------------
    Personal histories are just as fascinating as fiction, IMHO. Glad yours made it through, Muppet fan 123. I was asst stage manager for a production of "Diary of Anne Frank" once and even backstage there wasn't a dry eye at the end, although we all had seen/heard it dozens of times. Powerful stuff.

--------------------

4. The Shoe Fairy

The Shoe Fairy Well-Known Member

Author-wise : Shaun Tan, Neil Gaiman, Matthew Reilly, Nick Cave, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis,Michael Crichton, Maurice Sendak, Art Spiegelman

With regard to individual books, I'm a big fan of biographies/autobiographies (Stuff on artists, autism and drug addiction I find the most interesting), I really enjoyed Catcher in the Rye in retrospect, but only in intepreting it my own way and not being force fed the dirt sandwich of a meaning my English teacher thought it had - that ruined the experience of the book when I read it, I couldn't find any deeper meaning. My main issue with books as novels is that there are very few I read and immensely enjoy throughout, or find a proper meaning embedded in them (if there is). This is why I much prefer visual literature - picture books, comics, graphic novels - and actively challenge the notion that such media is aimed at children (this is where Japan got it right). Most of the stuff I read now is just because I have an obligation to do so for school and that annoys me. If anyone can reccomend me something dark/gritty but with philosophical themes, I'm all for it.

5. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Care to pm me what you teacher told you? I'm kind of interested in what s/he said

6. CensoredAlso

CensoredAlso Well-Known Member

Shoe Fairy, I'd also like to know what your teacher said, and what your interpretation was, because I found a lot of deeper meaning in Catcher in the Rye. Not saying it's the same as your teacher's, but like I said I'm just curious. :)

Yes, Catcher in the Rye. ;)

7. ElectricMayhem1

I'm just reading Rutka's Notebook: A voice from the Holocaust By: Rutka Laskier!..it's sad........

8. newsmanfan

------------------
    Shoe Fairy, I would suggest, although both are "classic lit" and not illustrated: "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes
    "Being There" by Jerzy Kosinski

Both are dark, dreamy, and ultimately a little unsettling -- I personally found "Being There" both funny and terrifying. (The movie, with Peter Sellers, is good, but please read the book first!)

----------------------

9. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Aw, Flowers for Algernon was sad. I read both the short story and saw the movie. I don't usually cry over those things but Flowers for Algernon really got to me.

10. charlietheowl

charlietheowl Well-Known Member

I'm reading The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams. It's really sad but really good. I'm gonna have to find a movie version of it after I've finished reading it.

11. newsmanfan

-----------------
    Williams wrote a lot of really good stuff. Check out Thomas Wolfe for other works with that same sort of languid Southern feel.

In the middle of Jim Lehrer's latest, "Tension City," his thoughtful but very entertaining (not at all dry) anecdotal history of presidential debates. Great stuff, especially given the latest nonsense under the guise of "primary debates."

------------------

12. charlietheowl

I'm actually taking a class devoted to the works of Tennessee Williams, which I'll admit I just signed up for because I had heard the professor was low-key, but now I'm really into it. I like those family drama things, plus the southern atmosphere is cool. Reminds me of Flannery O'Connor.

13. newsmanfan

----------------------
    Yes exactly! A lot of the early 20th cent Southerners have the same kind of vibe to their work: bittersweet, a little strange, sometimes dark and very focused on internal thoughts. Love it.

------------------

14. Princeton

Princeton Well-Known Member

Just joined a book club; here's what we've been assigned so far.

-Sister Carrie (Theodore Dreiser)
    -In the Lake of the Woods (Tim O'Brien)
    -Spoon River Anthology (Edgar Lee Masters)
    -The Pearl (John Steinbeck)
    -The Sea-Wolf (Jack London)
    -The Late George Apley (John Marquand)
    -Darkness at Noon (Arthur Koestler)
    -The Way of all Flesh (Samuel Butler)

15. charlietheowl

Let me know what you think of Sister Carrie. It's always been on my list of books that I kinda-sorta want to read but never have.

16. Princeton

Princeton Well-Known Member

It's beautifully written but very boring and the characters are very unlikable. In lieu of reading the book, check out the film version with Laurence Olivier.

17. jackdelayne

jackdelayne Active Member

Just finished Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle. The book was... interesting... not my regular genre of book, but pretty good. Actually much better than the cheesy movies that were made from it. I was a bit surprised to find out he was also the author of The Bridge Over the River Kwai.

18. charlietheowl

Didn't realize there was a movie version, will have to check that out. I bought a used copy of An American Tragedy for a buck like three years ago and it's just been collecting dust since. I have so many books like that, one day I'll have to actually read them.

19. Yuna Leonhart

Yuna Leonhart Well-Known Member

My favorite author is J.K. Rowling and the Harry Potter books are m favorites. Other books I like are A Christmas Carol and Alice In Wonderland. But these are the only books I can think of right now (it's 6.00 am where I live and I can't sleep).

Muppet fan 123 and CensoredAlso like this.
  20. newsmanfan

*snoring* Guh...wuh..wha? Oh, sorry...um. Tim O'Brien has a good rep, but Dreiser and Masters are duller than concrete. Sounds very, um, classic-American-lit heavy. Do they read anything more modern, or genres other than Boring? Sea-Wolf is fun, though a bit melodramatic, and I have a friend who swears by Steinbeck...
    -----------------

Princeton likes this.