Favorite Characters Then and Now

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Ever since I was a baby my favorite character has been Big Bird. I always responded to him much better than any of the other characters, he's really the character largely responsible for getting me obsessed with the Muppets. For the first five years of my life, I could barely even pay attention to the show unless Big Bird was on the screen.

Although, Big Bird's presence on the show has gradually diminished, so I got used to seeing the other characters more and grew to appreciate all of them a lot more.
Prairie Dawn, Oscar and Telly are all tied for my second favorites,

cjd874

Reaction score
This is a REALLY old thread, and I'm glad it's been resurrected.

When I was younger (2-5), I loved Oscar, Ernie, Bert, and Elmo the most. Maybe it was because I had plush doll likenesses that I dragged around the house all the time. I was a fan of Elmo's World and all the E&B segments, and Oscar was a constant presence on the street. They were always there for me every day at 5 pm on TV, right before dad watched the nightly news broadcast.

Now that I'm older I'm much more a fan of the classic characters including Big Bird, Cookie Monster, the Count, and Grover. I still love E&B and Oscar; however, Elmo has been voted off the island.

And with the release of the old school DVDs and "Classics" on iTunes, and the mountains of rare clips that have surfaced on YouTube, I've also developed an appreciation for lesser-known classic characters like Don Music, Roosevelt Franklin, Herry Monster, and the Amazing Mumford. And dare I day it...even Harvey Kneeslapper.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
When I was a little girl, I always loved Elmo. And even today, I still like him.

DePingPong

Reaction score
Then: Elmo
Now: The classic cast like Ernie, Bert, Cookie, Big Bird, Grover, The Count.

I also loved how the classic episodes always had a good amount a background muppets or little used muppets like AM people, or Farley, Roosevelt, etc. And a lot of sketches had an abundance of monsters in them, especially in the 70's.

Classic Sesame had a lot of characters to appreciate.

cjd874

Reaction score
Then: Elmo
Now: The classic cast like Ernie, Bert, Cookie, Big Bird, Grover, The Count.

I also loved how the classic episodes always had a good amount a background muppets or little used muppets like AM people, or Farley, Roosevelt, etc. And a lot of sketches had an abundance of monsters in them, especially in the 70's.

Classic Sesame had a lot of characters to appreciate.
Great point. Songs like "Subway" or "Some, None, All" perfectly support that. I lost track of how many different Anything Muppets and Monsters were in each one. Even some more familiar faces like Cookie Monster, Herry, Bert, and Kermit appear, if I recall.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Used to be: Elmo
Now: Grover, Count, Ernie, Oscar, Big Bird, Cookie
Old School Classic: Mumford, Guy, Sherlock, Herry

ConsummateVs

Reaction score
*BUMP*

As a little kid: Elmo, Cookie Monster (whom I still love), Ernie, Zoe, Telly, Big Bird, The Count

Now: Bert, Grover, Oscar, Julia (I'm sure would've loved her if she existed back then)

Bert fan

Reaction score
It all depends on your interest of stuff they do on the show and your age because if your 2 and like imagination you probably like elmo but if your order and like super hero's then it's probably grover and if you have a great sense of humor it's Erie Bert or Oscar

ErinAardvark

Reaction score
I was born in 1982, so I guess my Sesame Street years would be between 1983 and 1996. However, I did occasionally watch some episodes into the early 2000's (but not often, and I didn't care much for "Elmo's World.") My favorite characters on Sesame Street were always Big Bird, Cookie Monster, and Oscar the Grouch. I liked a lot of the others, but I wouldn't put them up there in my favorites. I also really liked some of the human characters. My favorites were Gordon, Susan, Bob, and David, and Olivia (anybody out there remember David and Olivia?)