1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Favorite Oscar the Grouch Moments

Discussion in 'Classic Sesame Street' started by Barry Lee, Aug 8, 2004.

1. Fuzzy and Blue

Fuzzy and Blue New Member

My favorite Oscar moment would have to be during "Don't Eat the Pictures" when he sings that song about the broken sculptures.

~Dana~
  2. doctort13

doctort13 Member

Come join the Caroll Spinney boards!

I joined the Official Caroll Spinney web board and see that it's a lonely little board. Please consider joining it so we can all chat about the man beneath the grouch.

Now scram! :grouchy:
  3. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

According to both Sesame Street Unpaved and the Sesame Street 35th Anniversary trivia game, the birdkateers were started because oscar wouldn't let big bird join the grouchkateers, so grouchkateers came first. I wonder if both clubs were introduced in the same episode, or if the grouckateers were in any episodes before that?

anyway, my favorite oscar moments are the grouch anthem (from follow that bird), i hate christmas (from christmas eve on sesame street), the scene from learning About letters where telly knocks on oscars can and tells oscar that he isn't there for him (he was there for the elephants), and a few episodes from the 30th season, such as one where irvine wants to take a bath and another one where oscar had a trash sale but couldn't part with his trash.
  4. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

Just seen the segment where Kermit interviews him about public television, Great. ^_^
  5. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

I think I can remember the Grouchkateer "cheer"
    :grouchy: How can you tell a Grouchkateer?
    Grouchkateers:He's the one with the thumb in his ear!
  6. Chris Gawley

Chris Gawley Member

Oscar did in fact call Bob both "Blue Eyes" & "Bright Eyes". He switched back and forth over the years, to keep from going stale, I guess!

:grouchy: - "Hey, I love stale!"

While I love everything Oscar has done, there are a couple of moments that stand out in my mind & remain special in my heart!

1) Any episode where Oscar had anyone from the cast inside his Can. There were 2 episodes that stick out in my mind:

a) The cast of SS had a party, and they held it inside Oscar's can, forcing Oscar to wait outside until it was over! What sticks in my mind was the site of EVERY SS member (kids included) climbing into Oscar's can & disappearing!

b) I remember an episode where Maria had to accompany Oscar down inside his can (why, I don't remember). The inside of Oscar's can was absoluetly pitch black! All the viewer could hear and see were Oscar's & Maria's voices, & 2 sets of "muppet" eyes moving around in the dark! The sketch concluded with Maria accidentally tripping & falling into Oscar's swimming Pool (the New York sewer system?)! She emerged from the can covered in seaweed & God only knows what else!

2) I absolutely adored the "At The Movies" sketches with Oscar & Telly. Oscar always found a way to con Telly into sitting in the broken chair, & when Telly would fall & spill his popcorn, I would laugh my head off!

mikebennidict New Member

If I rememebr right she wanted a cup of sugar. Don't know why she'd ask him for that and she probably fell into his swimming pool and it's not like it's going to be clean if you know what I mean.
  8. abiraniriba

abiraniriba New Member

Oh No

:grouchy: IT'S NICE THAT YOU ALL HAVE THESE FAVORITE MOMENTS, BUT I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU WOULD ALL JUST LEAVE MY TRASH CAN NOW!!!

Okay guys, now that His Royal Yuckiness has left my desk chair I can tell you that my favorite Oscar moment was when he got the picture from Elmo on the ep "The Street we live on" that Elmo had spilled spaghetti on and actually liked it. I also liked the ep with Oscar's Puerto Rican friend. I forget his name though. Help.
  9. Chris Gawley

Chris Gawley Member

I believe Oscar's Puerto Rican friend's name was Oswaldo.
  10. I like:

*"I Love Trash"
    *"Just the Way You Are"
    *Oscar's version of "Bein' Green"

And when Oscar calls Big Bird a turkey.
  11. I liked in "Elmo in Grouchland" when he tells everyone to be real careful cause he just had the place dirtied. I also like in "follow that bird" when he takes Maria out to the grouch restaurant. Can't think of what its called.
  12. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Here's one from the 70's.

Maria is by Oscar's can and has this old rocking chair she plans to fix up.

The phone rings in her apartment and goes to answer it.

Oscar comes out and apparently assumes it's for him.

Later we return to the street, Maria has already painted it and Oscar comes out and is naturally upset.

Says, Oh Maria! What have you done to my chair?

He says more though I can't remember what.

Other than she goes into the building saying, Oscar I want the chair now.

Oscar one more time says, Oh Maria!
  13. FrogInTheGlen

FrogInTheGlen New Member

I used to love the segments where he'd review movies, and they'd all get a "phooey." :grouchy:
  14. Ignorance

Ignorance New Member

Two moments that come to mind are the Scramalot thing [it's just a form of awesomeness, mkay?] and the one where he feels grouchy, but loves it which makes him happy. But once he's happy he realizes this is a horrid emotion and feels grouchy... and it goes on and on. When I was younger I thought this was genius. ;]