Favorite Rankin-Bass Christmas Special

CBPuppets

Reaction score
Do you guys have a favorite Christmas special from Rankin-Bass?:concern: I love these...

-The year without a Santa Claus

-T'was The Night Before Christmas

-Frosty the Snowman

-Santa Claus is Coming to Town

-Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

-Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July

that's it i guess:big_grin: ...........

sesameguy

Reaction score
They've done so many that it really is hard to pick a favorite. I like all the ones you listed, though, as well as "Frosty's Winter Wonderland" and "Nestor, the long-eared Christmas donkey."

Also, they've got some great songs in all those specials! A few years ago they came out with a CD with a few songs from Frosty, Rudolph and "Santa Claus is comin' to town." It would be neat if they could expand that idea and maybe do a box set of all the songs from the Rankin-Bass specials!

Teheheman

Reaction score
The Year without a Santa Claus. The Miser brothers are probably the only reason I watch that one. The other ones have their moments, and are classic in their own little way, but The Year without a Santa Claus, I'll watch a hundred times and still love the miser brothers song.

Daniel

Baby Gonzo

Reaction score
- The Little Drummer Boy
- Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
- The Year Without a Santa Claus
- Santa Claus is Coming to Town
- Frosty the Snowman

I really love all of these, but the Little Drummer Boy really gets to the spirit of what Christmas is really about.

ReneeLouvier

Reaction score
The Year without a Santa Claus. The Miser brothers are probably the only reason I watch that one. The other ones have their moments, and are classic in their own little way, but The Year without a Santa Claus, I'll watch a hundred times and still love the miser brothers song.

Daniel
Yes, right on the button. That is my exact same reason too.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
The Stingiest Man In Town, a 1978 musical adaptation of A Christmas Carol.

It features the vocal talents of Walter Matthau, Tom Bosley, Theodore Bikel, Robert Morse, Dennis Day and Paul Frees.

What's interesting about this one is that it was based on a live-action 1956 TV special of the same name, starring Basil Rathbone as Scrooge. This production was so lavish, a cast album was actually recorded, and is available on CD. The songs used in this version were used in the Rankin-Bass version.

anytimepally

Reaction score
Paul Frees rocks!

'Twas the Night Before Christmas (1974) (Joel Grey also rocks!)
Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town (1970) (every time I watch, I keep waiting for Fearless Leader to show up)
Pinocchio's Christmas (1980)
The Life & Adventures of Santa Claus (1985)

peyjenk

Reaction score
My favorite is Santa Claus is Comin' to Town. I like the way they "explain" how all of the Christmas traditions came about, and I like seeing Santa and Mrs. Claus back before their fat-and-jolly days. :big_grin: The Burgermeister Meisterburger is one of the greatest villains of all time (with one the greatest voices of all time!) and I always get "Just Put One Foot in Front of the Other" stuck in my head! Ack, just writing about this show makes me want to go watch it!

The Year without a Santa Claus, I'll watch a hundred times and still love the miser brothers song.
You know, I've never seen this special, but everyone--EVERYONE--talks about how awesome the Misers' theme song is. I have to see it, just for that song!