Fellow Church People

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
The letter from Jude

The letter from Jude was written to warn against false teachers who claimed to be believers. In this brief letter, which is similar in content to Second Peter, the writer encourages his readers "to fight on for the faith which once and for all God has given to His people."

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
The Revelation to John

The Revelation to John was written at a time when Christians were being persecuted because of their faith in Jesus Christ as Lord. The writer's main concern is to give his readers hope and encouragement, and to urge them to remain faithful during times of suffering and persecution.
For the most part the book consists of several series of revelations and visions presented in symbolic language that would have been understood by Christians of that day, but would have remained a mystery to all others. As with the themes of a symphony, the themes of this book are repeated again and again in different ways through the various series of visions. Although there are differences of opinion regarding the details of interpretation of the book, the central theme is clear: through Christ the Lord, God will finally and totally defeat all of His enemies, including Satan, and reward His faithful people with the blessings of a new heaven and a new earth when this victory is complete.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Thanks for that last entry! I usually frown upon the Book of Revelations to be honest (please don't flame me! hehe). But that was a great way to summarize the overall message of The New Testament. :smile:

It's true, it's never been very easy to be a Christian, and it still remains a struggle today. Being a good person in many ways goes against the ways of our world. But if we can do our best, it's a great achievement. :smile:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Some of us do enjoy some of the biblical books less than others heralde. But God still loves us all equally. (I wouldn't flame you. You are too much of a good forum friend for that. heh-heh) :smile:

We should indeed always strive to do our best for God. We can never do anything to earn salvation for we are all guilty sinners, but if we really believe God has forgiven us through His Son Jesus, our lives must reflect it by how we live in the face of the world's taunts and mockeries. May God give us all strength in the Holy Spirit.

BTW heralde I really love your Beaker avatar. He's such a cute Muppet.:eek:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Some of us do enjoy some of the biblical books less than others heralde. But God still loves us all equally. (I wouldn't flame you. You are too much of a good forum friend for that. heh-heh) :smile:

BTW heralde I really love your Beaker avatar. He's such a cute Muppet.
Hehe thanks, I appreciate that! We don't agree on everything, but it's great to be able to discuss things in a pleasant manner. Obviously we all have our opinions, and only one person knows for sure. :wink: Glad you like the avatar, it's my first one ever! :eek:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
You're most welcome William.

I've recently finished studying the Second Book of Samuel by myself at home.
Out of the entire Old Testament I think Second Samuel is my overall favourite because it tells the history of David's reign as King over Israel. I've always had a special fondness for the reign of King David.
I'll be talking about it next in this thread.

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I do so hope that my friends who are familiar with the book will join in the discussion about it so that I won't be doing all the talking. But to commence:

I love how the book opens with David receiving an Amelekite who comes to his war camp to give him the news about his father-in-law, King Saul's death. Those who know First Samuel will know that David had been persecuted and hunted by his own father-in-law who had tried to kill him.
King Saul had proven himself to be an unfaithful God-dishonouring man and the Prophet Samuel had foretold that one day God would take the kingship of Israel away from him and give it to somebody of a more noble spirit. When it became evident that his son-in-law David was to be that man Saul wanted to get rid of him. But God had protected David always.
Anyway the Amelekite man claimed that he came upon Saul wounded on the battlefield who asked him to kill him. So he did since he could see that he could not live long the way he was injured. This contradicts the end of First Samuel where Saul is said to have committed suicide, rather than risk capture and torture by the Philistine army. The simplest and most logical explanation is that the messenger fabricated his version of Saul's death in hope that David would reward him for killing his most bitter enemy. But his rash actions cost him his life.
For David ordered him to be executed for killing the man who had been anointed by God to be Israel's very first King.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Thank you for the the summery or the story Marty! A very true story!