Finally saw Elmo in Grouchland

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Both Bob and Susan.
What's strange about that is they're the only two original cast members still on the show today. You would think they'd be able to find bigger parts for them.

But what is weird is Ruthie barely had any screentime at all. She must have been in the movie for a total of 2 seconds.
I'm guessing that around the time the movie was made, they knew that they would be getting rid of Ruthie soon so they didn't really write a big part for her.

AAO

Reaction score
I watched "Elmo in Grouchland" a couple of years ago on satellite with my baby cousins. I hated it! I'm a big fan of "Follow That Bird" anyway. I only enjoyed certain scenes. Especially where Big Bird gets stuck in Oscar's trash can.

(Big Bird's stuck in Oscar's can with his legs sticking out from the top. Gordon and Telly are attempting to push him through.)
Big Bird - "I'm stuck!"
Gordon - "Alright, Telly, push!"
(Big Bird flies to the bottom of the can.)
Big Bird - "We're coming, Elmo!!"

My other favorite moment is when Oscar said Elmo was his "friend". Then attempted to cover it up by saying something about "fish-fried-french fries"?

Another thing....where the heck was Snuffy?!!! HONESTLY?! I mean, that would have been even more funnier trying to get him down the can! Big Bird tried putting Snuffy in a make-believe chimney in "Christmas Eve. On Sesame Street". That was when Snuffy was performed by Jerry Nelson. Another thing I wonder, when Elmo got sucked into Grouchland, why didn't Oscar end up sucked in too?!

And when I first heard about this movie, all I heard was that we finally get to see the inside of Oscar's can. Well, back in the 80's, Oscar did a segment on Sesame Street from "inside his can" about his love of "art". I've watched it and seen it in the book "Sesame Street Unpaved".

AAO

Reaction score
A great idea for this movie would have been to have let us seen Big Bird, Telly, Maria, and the others going through the tunnel of colors to Grouchland as Elmo did! ANOTHER thiNG...WHERE WAS GRUNGETTA?!!!!!!! THE ONE GROUCH THAT HAS A LINK TO OSCAR?! And the baby grouch...can't remember her name, but what about her?!?!?!?!

Another good plot for the movie, instead of Ernie and Bert narrorating the film, have them on Sesame Street and as the others were gone to Grouchland, the gate way to Grouchland was open, causing grouches, trash, and other "grouchy" things to leak out onto Sesame Street!!! Ernie and Bert, along with others save Sesame Street as Elmo saves his blanet as Big Bird and the others save Elmo!!! I thought that would be a good plot twist. Tell me what you think....

AAO

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I guess it's always been kind of a tradition that the villians would be played by human actors. In Christmas Carol, the Scrooge character isn't necessarily a "villian" but I guess it works.

Really, it could be Statler and Waldorf (Marley & Marley) that seemed to be the villains on account they led Scrooge to his wrong doings? So...Muppet Christmas Carol....I doubt has an actual "villain"...

The Muppet Movie - Doc Hopper, Crazy Scientist (Mel Brooks), & Frog Killer
The Great Muppet Caper - Charles Grodin (real name) & 3 Girls
The Muppets Take Manhattan - The Con Artist (Man from film '9 to '5) and the
city of New York could be considered, thus it
broke the gang up and caused Kermit to get
hit by a taxi and get amnesia!
Follow That Bird - Miss Finch and Sleaze Brothers
The Muppet Christmas Carol - Marley & Marley - Scrooge (kinda)
Muppet Treasure Island - Long John Silver (Tim Curry)
Muppets From Space - Jefforey Tambor (Government Man) - Edgar?
Elmo In Grouchland - Huxley (Mandy Patanka)
It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie - Ms. Bitterman (Joan Cusack)
The Muppets Wizard of Oz - Jefforey Tambor (OZ)

The majority have been all human actors. Although, in Muppet Treasure Island and Oz films some minor Muppets were casted as villains, such as Crazy Harry! :crazy:

I've also noticed that the human characters usually have an unknown or new Muppet as their sidekick villain. Then, they later turn for the better or are weasiled into the job! That tradition slowly started in
The Muppet Christmas Carol where Statler and Waldorf worked with Scrooge, Muppet Treasure Island - the Muppet pirates who worked for Long John Silver - Sweetums - who later helps Kermit and Sam the Eagle during sword play,
Muppets From Space - Bo Bo the Bear (One of my favorites) as Edgar's (Jefforey Tambor) assistant, later helps the Muppets in the end.
Elmo In Grouchland - The Bug that helps Huxley
It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie - Pepe (Tricked into job to ruin the Muppet theater.)
The Muppets Wizard of Oz - Bunsen, Scooter, Sam the Eagle, and Scooter - who were're really villains, just worked for them.

BEAR

Reaction score
AAO said:
Really, it could be Statler and Waldorf (Marley & Marley) that seemed to be the villains on account they led Scrooge to his wrong doings? So...Muppet Christmas Carol....I doubt has an actual "villain"...

Jacob Marley was not a villian at all in the Christmas Carol story. He was there to help Scrooge. Now that I think more about it, Scrooge was the protagonist and the antagonist of the story. He was his own villian. Think about it.

BEAR

Reaction score
AAO said:
The Muppets Wizard of Oz - Bunsen, Scooter, Sam the Eagle, and Scooter - who were're really villains, just worked for them.
I don't understand this. How were these guys villians? They worked for the Wizard.

AAO

Reaction score
Well, honestly what I was saying was they were inhabited by the wizards power to be "villain" like to "scare" the others away from Emerald City - you know - they were more less tricked into the job as some would say...LOL And again, I will point out in that post I said: "who were're really villains, just worked for them."

Anyway, what did you think of my idea for "Grouchland" with Grouchland invading Sesame Street? Read the earlier post...

BEAR

Reaction score
AAO said:
Well, honestly what I was saying was they were inhabited by the wizards power to be "villain" like to "scare" the others away from Emerald City - you know - they were more less tricked into the job as some would say...LOL And again, I will point out in that post I said: "who were're really villains, just worked for them."

Anyway, what did you think of my idea for "Grouchland" with Grouchland invading Sesame Street? Read the earlier post...

Yeah I know, but you made it seem like The Wizard was a villian. The Wizard was in no way a villian.

AAO

Reaction score
I know he wasn't a villain! I'm just saying that he was moreless of a character that stood in teh way of Dorothy getting abck home..

AAO

Reaction score
I planned on buying the DVD today, but I'm not sure if I should waste money on it...I wanna know if the "special features" are any good? I haven't a clue! Although, I watched the movie in like 2000...so 5 years ago, long time!