First image of Seth MacFarlane's upcoming western

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
To be fair, a lot of old PG movies were only PG because PG-13 didn't exist. It's jarring to see PG movies that are the equivalent of PG-13, even R movies for the language. I always found it bull when someone puts forth some idiotic study about how PG films are the equivalent of PG-13 and PG-13 is R... then you see these action movies have to dumb themselves down to PG-13 to get a bigger audience and losing the original audience in the process.
Another one I can think of is Goonies. I only ever saw it on TV growing up, not VHS. And I always wondered why half of Corey Feldman's lines sounded weird, lol. Turns out I was hearing the sanitized dubbed version for Television.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
To be fair, a lot of old PG movies were only PG because PG-13 didn't exist.
There you go.

And too, if you ask me, ratings seemed a little clumsier back in those days too... I've seen some older R-rated movies (like some of those really old Charles Bronsan movies) that probably would've only gotten PG-13 today... I heartell back in those days, half the time movies were given R ratings was simply because they were longer than movies typically are (hour and a half to two hours).

But then again, even more recently, some ratings are still clumsy... again, look at KANGAROO JACK, that only got a PG rating and sold as a "kids' movie" simply because they added more scenes with the kangaroo because test audiences were apparently only interested in the kangaroo: it otherwise has language, violence, sexual content, and adult humor... it should at least be PG-13.

But as far as Mel Brooks goes, let's face it, his comedy has always been more on the adult side, though his were usually done in somewhat good taste, if only half the time (BLAZING SADDLES had some arguably offensive humor), but the thing about Brooks is his were genuinely funny... most similarly adult or raunchy comedy today is simply lowest common denominator humor, writers just writing what pops into their mind, going for the easiest and cheapest laughs they can get.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
There you go.

And too, if you ask me, ratings seemed a little clumsier back in those days too... I've seen some older R-rated movies (like some of those really old Charles Bronsan movies) that probably would've only gotten PG-13 today.
Wasn't PG-13 created in 1984? Yet there will still plenty of questionable PG movies in the '80s. Did it just take awhile for studios to start actually using it?

mr3urious

Reaction score
But then again, even more recently, some ratings are still clumsy... again, look at KANGAROO JACK, that only got a PG rating and sold as a "kids' movie" simply because they added more scenes with the kangaroo because test audiences were apparently only interested in the kangaroo: it otherwise has language, violence, sexual content, and adult humor... it should at least be PG-13.
Funny thing is, it wasn't supposed to be a kids' movie at first. Some language is even bowdlerized in the final cut, but not all of it.

But as far as Mel Brooks goes, let's face it, his comedy has always been more on the adult side, though his were usually done in somewhat good taste, if only half the time (BLAZING SADDLES had some arguably offensive humor), but the thing about Brooks is his were genuinely funny... most similarly adult or raunchy comedy today is simply lowest common denominator humor, writers just writing what pops into their mind, going for the easiest and cheapest laughs they can get.
Mel Brooks really was the best with combining both raunchy and witty humor.

Then on the other end of the spectrum we have folks like Happy Madison Productions that go for that LCD humor you just mentioned.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't even like Adam Sandler anyway, his humor really is offensive.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Then on the other end of the spectrum we have folks like Happy Madison Productions that go for that LCD humor you just mentioned.
I was shocked that they're actually the producers of The Goldburgs (one of my favorite new sitcoms of this season). I almost felt like when the AVGN played Maximum Carnage and was shocked to find out LJN made a good game.

Only I came to that revelation months before that episode came out, so...

But back to this quote:

The ratings system has always been a lot of nonsense. Just parent your child, please, lol.

I mentioned it in the 40 Movies You Shouldn't Show your Kids thread... but I can't stop thinking about that Cosby show episode. The one where Rudy doesn't want to watch Old Yeller, but instead a harmless version of Garbage Pail Kids she and her friends enjoy with no repercussions and she gets in trouble for it. I just got the subtext.

Cliff Huxtable, beloved TV father, shows them Old Yeller till they're bored. A movie about a dog getting killed that they're bored with. He effectively desensitized them to death. And Rudy's the bad guy cuz the other movie's about someone eating the green bits.

At least with Doug, Pepper Ann, and The Goldburgs they showed the kids traumatized by the films they watched, unable to sleep. Rudy was punished for enjoying a film.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I was shocked that they're actually the producers of The Goldburgs (one of my favorite new sitcoms of this season).
Same with THE MASTER OF DISGUISE, a so-so movie that I actually enjoy.