First Look at Nickelodeon Ninja Turtles

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GonzoLeaper
But yeah- I like the whole Dregg storyline arc. I didn't like not having Shredder and Krang there, but still- it was something different. And plus, I'm pretty much a completist and so I want to see every episode- no matter how good or bad people might say they were.

I find Dregg to be a very dry, uninteresting villain. As cool as Tony Jay is, the character comes off as generic, and I'm no fan of Mung either. Now, I can't say the episodes are terrible... but it seems to me the writers of season 9 either knew they were getting fired, or had a feeling there'd be no season 10 or something and came up with cockamamie plot lines and stories to throw the next writer under a bus. Poor Jeff Scott had to deal with the lack of fun villains (though I dug the Globfather... he really should have used him more) and that doofy bit about the ultimate mutations. Though I DID like how the last episode called back one of the first episodes and gave the show a decent ending
Since we were talking about this earlier- and you may already have seen this, but I thought you'd like to know that Lionsgate is finally releasing Season 9 of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to DVD!:smile:
Look for it on August 16, 2011 - hopefully, with Season 10 soon to follow. http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Teenage-Mutant-Ninja-Turtles-Season-9/15426

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, the first issue of the IDW comic book came out. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the comic books were license rescued and all... but I have problems with it.

Not only do we have to start all the way at the origin again (albeit, still non-linear), but they changed the origin... and drastically.

You see, there are 2 origins: The comic book/movie/2003 cartoon origin of Splinter being the Pet rat of Hamato Yoshi, witnessed the murder of his master by Oroku Saki, hiding out in the sewers, when he happened upon 4 baby turtles in glowing green liquid. He gathered them up in a coffee can, and over time noticed that they were slowly growing, and that he was as well...

80's cartoon: Hamato Yoshi was disgraced by Oroku Saki, fled to the US and hid in the sewers. Saki, now the Shredder, dumps mutagen in the sewers in an attempt to kill Yoshi, but instead he gets mutated thanks to the rats that he kept as pets, as did 4 baby turtles dropped down the sewers.

And in all versions, Splinter named them after a book of painters he found in the sewers. In the comic book, he trained them in ninjitsu to be assassins to kill Shredder.

Wait till you hear what the new comic's origin is...

The turtles AND Splinter are all lab experiments. They were named by April (thankfully she's retained her scientist persona... I always had problems with her as a News Reporter, actually... though the movie did it right), and the turtles are subjects for a super soldier mutagen, Splinter for a split personality drug (or something like that). The mutagen is for someone named General Krang (it could very well be that Krang)... and from what I can piece together it takes 18 months for them to become full grown.

Also, Casey Jones is shown (possibly younger) as the son of an abusive father, and they managed to keep it so Raph was the first to meet him (of course, that's where the issue ends). It's too early to say what the rest of the origins will be. It was only the first issue, after all... but I have to say, I hope they're going somewhere with this. I felt pretty empty after reading it. I'll give it the first 4 issues before I make a decision.

The art is good though, and it IS written and drawn under the supervision of Kevin Eastman, so I'm still a little optimistic about it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's the first REAL look

I'm keeping quite an open mind with this. The Turtles, Shredder and Krang look alright, but I really don't like this...

"Hey! Let's make April a little girl!"

"Yeah! No one's going to be happy with that at all!"

"I bet we're going to get a LOT of complaints and this series will wind up suffering as a result. It's like we WANT this to fail desperately!"

I can take a LOT of crap out of cartoon franchises, I even agree with them some times... I've actually started to not like 1980's April and find 2k3 scientist April a far superior character. But for the love of Mike... tweenage April?!?! Who's that for? And it's still better than the Christmas special.

That said, I strongly recommend IDW's TMNT line. At least we're getting THAT out of this.

beaker

Reaction score
Dr Tooth, there is no new TMNT. They can call it that, just like JHC can make some crappy digital puppetry show called "Doozers", but Fraggle Rock and TMNT are properties that for better or worse only exist in memories. I know, it's hard. Im a lifelong TMNT fan too...but I had to come to acceptance.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Dr Tooth, there is no new TMNT. They can call it that, just like JHC can make some crappy digital puppetry show called "Doozers", but Fraggle Rock and TMNT are properties that for better or worse only exist in memories. I know, it's hard. Im a lifelong TMNT fan too...but I had to come to acceptance.
Like I said before, I could relatively give a rat's butt about the cartoon series if the comics keep going on. THAT is the heart of the TMNT, not a bunch of animated programs. All they did was sell toys and make them popular. Had that never happened, I'm sure most of us wouldn't really care about them, sure... at least until we're older and can appreciate dark, indie comics. But even without the Cowabungas and Pizza (which, if they weren't so engrained in my nostalgia, I'd grow to hate), the comic book would have eventually shined through. Look at Groo. It's popular among the comic book set, and I got into reading it without a cartoon series.

As long as IDW is doing the comics, THAT's the soul of TMNT I care about. I'm just worried the cartoon series could be a failure and drag stuff down, but I'm sure they'd keep TMNT going strong. I'm really loving the micro-series aside stories. I can't recommend it strongly enough.

Drtooth

Reaction score
As long as the cartoon doesn't remotely follow that. Why bother making the movie so that no one in the world would want to see it?

Still... screw the whole thing. The IDW comics are enough for me, just got the Infestation issue yesterday and it's very solid. Reminds me of the Tales of the TMNT series.

beaker

Reaction score
As long as the cartoon doesn't remotely follow that. Why bother making the movie so that no one in the world would want to see it?

Still... screw the whole thing. The IDW comics are enough for me, just got the Infestation issue yesterday and it's very solid. Reminds me of the Tales of the TMNT series.
Whoah...I thought youd have an explosive response to the news. I know reading the news was the final nail in the coffin for me. TMNT doesnt even exist in my mind anymore post 2007

Drtooth

Reaction score
Whoah...I thought youd have an explosive response to the news. I know reading the news was the final nail in the coffin for me. TMNT doesnt even exist in my mind anymore post 2007
I ranted about it elsewhere, but there really shouldn't be any surprise. I knew Michael Bay was involved, therefore I knew it was gonna suck. The bigger surprise is if it was any good. I think he's intentionally trying to make the movie bad to tick everyone off because he can. He's the directorial version of an internet troll, nothing more.

I'll give the new cartoon series a shot, but if it stinks, I'm not participating in anything else, especially merchandising tie ins. All I care about is that the comics are still around. Any super hero can survive a bad project if they're still in comic book form. That's the only thing I was worried about with Nick. Still, kinda ticked off that Laird sold it to them.