First Look at Nickelodeon Ninja Turtles

rowlfy662

Reaction score
wait michael bay is trying to direct a tmnt movie noooooo is the trying to ruin everything that we loved transformers now tmnt what next

but for the nick cartoon i really hope it does well they seem to be doing well with the voltron cartoon so i have a good feeling it will do well and maybe it will reduce spongebob being on their channel every minute of the day when ever i go to America he is always on so lets hope tmnt reduces spongebob a bit in the schedule

Teheheman

Reaction score
I don't think that they NEED a "richer backstory". When the first words out of your mouth are that they are gonna be an "alien race" instead of working with the story that a lot of people know. It's almost like saying that the Hulk wasn't hit by gamma rays, that he was born with anger issues and the only way that he could work through it was to psychologically turn into this green monster. That's a bad example but you know what I mean.

Daniel

beaker

Reaction score
Apparently, Bay's telling people to Relax and that this isn't going to be as bad as he's making it out to be and that he's working with one of the creators to give a "richer backstory."

Somehow I don't believe that. At best, the Transformer movies turned into pro-war propaganda, which I call bullcrap on. That's something fit for G.I. Joe, not Transformers.
He's saying "one of the creators of TMNT"...he of course means Laird. Meanwhile, the REAL TMNT muscle, Kevin Eastman, is working on cool black and white comics

Drtooth

Reaction score
wait michael bay is trying to direct a tmnt movie noooooo is the trying to ruin everything that we loved transformers now tmnt what next
To be clear, he's just going to produce, but clearly he has influence in the project. I forget who's really directing and writing it, but it's someone who worked on some crap horror action movies or something.

He's saying "one of the creators of TMNT"...he of course means Laird. Meanwhile, the REAL TMNT muscle, Kevin Eastman, is working on cool black and white comics
Yeah, but the thing is, Laird is a complete stick in the mud. He would NEVER accept alien turtles. We're talking about a guy who wanted an entire line of TMNT clothes pulled because they were Camo prints, and somehow were pro-war. He says some very nasty things about the Fox Kid's network forcing Venus DiMilo into the live action series, and (the one good thing here) he made 4Kids and Dong Woo completely reanimate a sequence in "the King" to have the ending of the comic book it was based off of.

Unless they mean the turtles were mutated BY aliens, and the aliens in question are the Utroms (which actually IS the origin story)... or the movie involves Bishop who thinks the Turtles are aliens... that's understandable. Even if they used the new comic's origin, (this is going to sound terrible, but trust me on this...) where the turtles were lab experiments, mutated by means of Baxter Stockman, working for General Krang, and the Splinter and the Turtles are re-incarnations of Hamato Yoshi and his 4 sons who were killed by Oroku Saki... that's good enough for me.

But yeah. The real hero is Kevin Eastman. He's been doing a LOT of good with the IDW comics, guiding the series, doing layouts for the first several issues, doing covers... My explanation of the series doesn't do it justice. It's amazing. Even if you just start out with the micro-series comics. Brian Lynch writes those.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Okay... it's about to get a whole lot interesting.

To the contrary, Beaker... it isn't Laird that's working with Bay. It's Kevin!

Hey Guys, Sorry to have been away for so long -- completely swamped with work -- but it is some pretty exciting stuff," Eastman said via Facebook. "I had been invited to check out the TMNT film development by my friend Scott Mednick over the years, and a while back had a full look behind the curtian at what writers Appelbaum and Nemec, director Liebesman, and producer Bay are doing -- and trust me -- it is awesome. I'm officially on board, and will share more as I'm allowed... thanks all!"
Laird's reply almost suggests the opposite...

He first stated to say:
"I would actually encourage TMNT fans to swallow the 'chill pill' Mr. Bay recently suggested they take, and wait and see what might come out of this seemingly ill-conceived plan
I can't find the entire quote, but it ended with a subtle "It's out of my hands, I can't do anything about it, calm down and hope it isn't terrible until we hear more news."

BUT he also added this lately...

Just so it's absolutely clear -- I think a planet of turtles is not, in and of itself, a bad idea for some kind of science fiction/fantasy story," said Laird. "But as a way to explain any aspect of the backstory of TMNT, I think it is awful and unnecessary."
So on a technicality, it sounds like he really DOES hate the alien origin if it takes away from the original origin.

To be clear, there already WAS a All turtle planet in the TMNT 1980's cartoon.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
All I ask is that Kevin Clash is at least asked to come back to voice Splinter (as I imagine this will be all-CGI, no practical effects to speak of, thus no need for him to also puppeteer).

Drtooth

Reaction score
All I ask is that Kevin Clash is at least asked to come back to voice Splinter (as I imagine this will be all-CGI, no practical effects to speak of, thus no need for him to also puppeteer).
I have a sneaky suspicion that the ONLY good this movie would have (unless Kevin Eastman is right about it being good) is that, much like Transformers, they'd try and get the original TMNT voice cast back. Like Rob Paulsen, Townsend Coleman, and I'd assume they'd get the original cartoon Splinter back, I forget the name at the moment. Unless Nick is making them use the same cast as the new series (in that case, we'd still get Rob Paulsen). Though I'd almost doubt that (the original movie was completely different from the cartoon cast, the 2k7 movie was completely different from the 4Kids voice cast).

Still, the alien thing bugs me, I'm sure there's a good reason for it... but the thing I gotta say that also kinda bugs me is the implications that they'll have a bunch of forced Easter Eggs based on the 1980's series. Now, while I'm the only one who really liked the TMNT Forever movie, it showed that even though they made a valiant effort in lampooning the old version in some cases, for the most part, they just threw "Gee, how stupid was that back then, eh?" Plus, I'd much rather every new TMNT series come into its own. Maybe a passing Cowabunga... but I don't want Robin in every batman production to say "Holy ____________, Batman!"

Now, Batman. That's something that has only been done bad ONCE, by Joel Schumaker... every version of Batman I've seen has been satisfyingly different from the last.

beaker

Reaction score
Rumor has it the ooze itself may be alien in origin, in which case Im fine. If the TMNT are literally *from* a different planet, Im out. Also I fear its gonna be in that hop/smurfs/alvin/garfield/gforce ugly jarring cgi on live action with fart jokes, quit cut editing and dumb human actors

Drtooth

Reaction score
Rumor has it the ooze itself may be alien in origin, in which case Im fine.
As you should be... that IS, after all, the original origin... At leas, the origin in everything but the 1980's cartoon and the second movie (but that was due to budgetary reasons). Even the new IDW comics, the mutagen is an experimental substance made by an alien (Krang)

Come to think of it, Mutagen might have been one of the many technologies Shredder keeps sucking up to Krang for.

Yeah, in that case, I'm totally for it.

But I think the best thing is you brought up the OTHER valid fear... the one that should be obvious. Somehow, I'd fear it would be more like his lame Transformer movies and everything focuses on lame human characters (and in TF's case, YAY! WAR! It's like a video game that's real!)... but there's always that fear that we'd get stuck with some frantic kiddy comedy that only amuses 5 year olds who haven't seen it in every movie every yet.

Somehow I don't think that's the case, but it could easily be that way too.

Still, when this is all over, I really hope that the TMNT rock band is the most embarrassing part of the franchise. That's a distinction that you don't want to surpass.

beaker

Reaction score
As you should be... that IS, after all, the original origin... At leas, the origin in everything but the 1980's cartoon and the second movie (but that was due to budgetary reasons). Even the new IDW comics, the mutagen is an experimental substance made by an alien (Krang)

Come to think of it, Mutagen might have been one of the many technologies Shredder keeps sucking up to Krang for.

Yeah, in that case, I'm totally for it.

But I think the best thing is you brought up the OTHER valid fear... the one that should be obvious. Somehow, I'd fear it would be more like his lame Transformer movies and everything focuses on lame human characters (and in TF's case, YAY! WAR! It's like a video game that's real!)... but there's always that fear that we'd get stuck with some frantic kiddy comedy that only amuses 5 year olds who haven't seen it in every movie every yet.

Somehow I don't think that's the case, but it could easily be that way too.

Still, when this is all over, I really hope that the TMNT rock band is the most embarrassing part of the franchise. That's a distinction that you don't want to surpass.
Well, it's gotta be at least better than Transformers 4: