First Look at Nickelodeon Ninja Turtles

beaker

Reaction score

beaker

Reaction score
I hope if anything this movie has heavy influence from the other movies, making Mikey sort of like what Raph was in the 80's cartoon, making Raph the DWolverine/Donald Duck bad@%% with a very short temper, and the other two are basically just as they are. And I hope it's not too origin focused. The reason why the first film was good was because they found the perfect balance of origin and character introduction, leaving most of the exposition as flashbacks. That's also what went right with the first, Tim Burton, Batman movie, which focused on him fighting his iconic villain without having to see him slowly turn into Batman. That's why Green Lantern was such a problem. The entire movie, we saw Hal turning into the Lantern, and then dealing with getting the powers and playing with them like a fool, then having to fight someone 10 minutes before the movie ends.
TMNT is unique, in that the revivals didn't screw everything up. I've hated most the Transformers revival cartoons and don't even acknowledge the existence of the Michael Bay movies. TMNT 2003 and the 2007 film I thought were astonishingly good.

TMNT the cartoon got really goofy, and TMNT 2 and 3 movies were terrible(yes I thought they were terrible even when I saw them as a kid)

But the original TMNT film...I dont know if its because it was filmed in the fall of 1989 and just hit at the right time, the involvement of JHC, the dark tone and vision...or just everything, but the 1990 TMNT I still consider one of the best movies I've ever seen(and Ive seen thousands)

Btw, you mentioned Green Lantern. The problem with that film was it was made. Nothing about that movie looked appealing. Even most Marvel films look avoidable.

And when it comes to remakes, just see the trailer to the new Total Recall to see how all the magic and point is zapped in these sterile reboot/remakes

beaker

Reaction score
Still, this movie supposedly had big buzz in the comics crowd, but everywhere else was focused on The Hunger Games.
Hunger Games...is that the new Twilight franchise girls are going gaga for?

Drtooth

Reaction score
TMNT is unique, in that the revivals didn't screw everything up. I've hated most the Transformers revival cartoons and don't even acknowledge the existence of the Michael Bay movies. TMNT 2003 and the 2007 film I thought were astonishingly good.

Live action series.

I said it.

There are a lot of blotches on the TMNT's record, most of them just side marketing things from the old series... that horrible first video game, really stupid easy reader books, those terrible, terrible concert videos (though Pizza Power is a pretty enjoyable song). But the live action series, which if Shout releases, I'll give a second look into... but the live action series ruined all its potential because of the network and really, really stupid decisions made about a much better second season that didn't exist.

I only need to say Venus. Now the thought of a female Turtle was considered Pre-fan fiction by girls ticked off that there wasn't a fifth member that was female, like them. The show quickly proved why they were wrong. No one wants a fifth Turtle anymore than a fourth Stooge or Laurel, Hardy and some other guy. The fact that she was personality devoid only added to the mess. She was added ONLY for the completely hypocritical reasoning that all boys shows have to have positive female role models when girls cartoons mostly
  1. have nothing or need nothing to appeal to boys
  2. have bimbos or otherwise vapid characters anyway.
The problem is, April O'Neil (the positive female role model in every TMNT version there is... though, frankly a better one in 2k3) didn't come in till the second season, which never got produced because the show was shockingly a hit, but not so much of a hit that it justified the high budget.

There are a lot of wonky episodes in both 87 and 2k3 (especially the last season with Lord Dregg and the seasons where the toy company screwed them around respectively), but nothing as bad as adding a female turtle with no personality to screw up the dynamic.

Even then, the live action one cost the turtles 7 years.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
I actually like the title Ninja Turtles. I was a fan of the name "TMNT" used for 2007 and Ninja Turtles sounds good. Otherwise I have no faith in this. The Nickelodeon series looks like pure utter expletive dee-leeted.
It's weird that people would complain about the lack of the "Teenage Mutant" in the title. Back in 2007, who the heck knew what a "TMNT" was? The movie made some bank and proved that audiences know the characters without needing the title shoved down their throats.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's weird that people would complain about the lack of the "Teenage Mutant" in the title. Back in 2007, who the heck knew what a "TMNT" was? The movie made some bank and proved that audiences know the characters without needing the title shoved down their throats.
It didn't hurt that a high rated cartoon series based on them was on at the time. It got a lot of the younger TMNT watching audience in those seats. Too bad Meet the Robinsons (a good movie in its own right) came out like a week after and crushed the rest of it's potential.

Too bad they didn't come to a good consensus for a sequel... not that it wouldn't have been put on perminant hiatus like everything else Imagi was making before idiotic management decisions forced the studio to go bankrupt and close down. But somehow, it seems that if that second movie happened, Laird probably wouldn't have sold TMNT to Nick.

beaker

Reaction score
It didn't hurt that a high rated cartoon series based on them was on at the time. It got a lot of the younger TMNT watching audience in those seats. Too bad Meet the Robinsons (a good movie in its own right) came out like a week after and crushed the rest of it's potential.

Too bad they didn't come to a good consensus for a sequel... not that it wouldn't have been put on perminant hiatus like everything else Imagi was making before idiotic management decisions forced the studio to go bankrupt and close down. But somehow, it seems that if that second movie happened, Laird probably wouldn't have sold TMNT to Nick.
Yeah, freaking Imagi. I wonder how much of Gatchaman was done? Imagi was very high quality stuff I believe, which is more than I can say for a lot of non Pixar cgi film companies.

For me and many other diehard TMNT fans, they're dead. The Nick show from the previews looks like crap(remember the style shown in the 2d illustrations in the Nintendo Power TMNT cover from late 2008? that shoulda been the style) Thats like late 90's looking cgi from the previews.

Drtooth

Reaction score
HEH! Bay's Abomination has been production blocked!

I hope this means they're going to redo the film with ANOTHER production company... even if it's just a 90 minute episode of the new series theatrically.

If Paramount WANTS a TMNT movie franchise, they need to do it right. They need films that build up to something. Something that starts with Baxter Stockman, leading to a Shredder story. And NO alien Turtles... alien chemical runoff YES... Alien Turtles NO.

beaker

Reaction score
Thank goodness the nightmare has been delayed.

Unfortunately, we still have the abortion known as Nickelodeon TMNT

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm keeping an open mind on that one. I don't care for the look or Tweenage April, but I'd have to actually see an episode to really judge the program. There are a LOT of shows I didn't care much for the look of, but I found enjoyable. Especially CGI ones.

Still, there's not enough for me to go on to reject this project as of yet.