First season closing credits

Stulz

Reaction score
Thanks.

I'm a little annoyed that they added a "Muppet Studios" bumper to the episodes and the aren't using the original endings.

I mean there' a laugh track audible because funny stuff is happening to Zoot. If they use the same Zoot clip everytime it just doesn't make sence.

:cool:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
I just watched the Vincent Price episode with the left-credits. I like them, they're kind of cool. GOod to see the guest star getting credit. Wonder which one was first.

anathema

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
I just watched the Vincent Price episode with the left-credits. I like them, they're kind of cool. GOod to see the guest star getting credit. Wonder which one was first.
They *all* got credits.

anathema

Reaction score
Stulz said:
Thanks.

I'm a little annoyed that they added a "Muppet Studios" bumper to the episodes and the aren't using the original endings.

I mean there' a laugh track audible because funny stuff is happening to Zoot. If they use the same Zoot clip everytime it just doesn't make sence.

:cool:
1) The vast majority of the original endings use the same clip of Zoot (the clip was changed for Season 3 onwards). There are a handful of exceptions; the only one in the first season is on the Kaye Ballard show.

2) There was absolutely no chance that Disney - or anyone else - would have used the original clips, since they have ATV/ITC copyrights and logos superimposed over them.

anathema

Reaction score
Stulz said:
That Announcer:

The Zoot bumble ending was added in the 80's during the syndicated repeats. As was the shade flipping up and the Jim henson Productions letters flying off, and others.
Zoot blowing the "hit!" logo out of his sax was added in the early 80s after Henson acquired the rights from ITC. The "Sax & Violence" ending was done some time around 1990 (and was still on syndication copies in 1998), with the plain "JHP" logo replacing it in the late 90s. I'm not familiar with the others you mention.

Stulz

Reaction score
80's endings

In the 80's they made a few different animated JHP logo endings that happend after Zoot blew his final note.

I somewhat agree to this:
"2) There was absolutely no chance that Disney - or anyone else - would have used the original clips, since they have ATV/ITC copyrights and logos superimposed over them."

However, since these are not going air on TV and they do not need to worry about time restriants, then they could always use the original footage THEN have the current coyright info and JHP logo shown.

OR
I would put out there that while Disney whouldn't be able to remove the ITV logo over Zoot, the copyright info below it could be covered over. I'd rather have 3/4 of the image then none at all and again like I said above the JHP logo could still come after that without the worry of time resraints.

I really don't get this whole mess. Many of the Muppet specials and Muppet Show episodes on file at the Museum of TV and Radio have the original ITV logo superimposed and even have the orginal ITV bumpers (which use to give be goose bumps, BTW cause that was how you knew The Mupet Show was about to begin!) Anyway these were given to the museum from JHC after they bought all the rights from ITV.

If they didn't bother to mess with the endings for the museum, and left them preserved, then they should be able to release them in the original way especially if they are touting it to be "completely restored" and the "Complete first Season".

:confused:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Muppet Morsels

I wonder if the muppet morsels on the DVD set explains the difference in credits?

anathema

Reaction score
Stulz said:
In the 80's they made a few different animated JHP logo endings that happend after Zoot blew his final note.

I somewhat agree to this:
"2) There was absolutely no chance that Disney - or anyone else - would have used the original clips, since they have ATV/ITC copyrights and logos superimposed over them."

However, since these are not going air on TV and they do not need to worry about time restriants, then they could always use the original footage THEN have the current coyright info and JHP logo shown.

OR
I would put out there that while Disney whouldn't be able to remove the ITV logo over Zoot, the copyright info below it could be covered over. I'd rather have 3/4 of the image then none at all and again like I said above the JHP logo could still come after that without the worry of time resraints.
It's nothing to do with the running time. Disney hold the rights to the show. ITC do not. No copyright holder is going to include an invalid copyright text on a commercial product, even if it's followed by their own.

Removal of the ITC logo is as you point out, not possible. But it's still a) someone else's trade mark, and b) someone else's copyright.

I really don't get this whole mess. Many of the Muppet specials and Muppet Show episodes on file at the Museum of TV and Radio have the original ITV logo superimposed and even have the orginal ITV bumpers (which use to give be goose bumps, BTW cause that was how you knew The Mupet Show was about to begin!) Anyway these were given to the museum from JHC after they bought all the rights from ITV.

If they didn't bother to mess with the endings for the museum, and left them preserved, then they should be able to release them in the original way especially if they are touting it to be "completely restored" and the "Complete first Season".

:confused:
The museum is different. They're archiving the programmes, they do not attempt to claim copyright over them.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
anathema said:
They *all* got credits.
Sorry, not sure what you mean.

In the centre credits, forgive me if I'm wrong, but I've never noticed the guest star's name there before. It was an interesting difference.

As for my original question, though it may have already been answered and I have just misunderstood, did the left-hand credits or the centre credits come first? Or were they simultaneous and just regional differences. From what I've read above I'm lead to believe it was the latter. I'ts kind of interesting.

anathema

Reaction score
MrsPepper said:
Sorry, not sure what you mean.

In the centre credits, forgive me if I'm wrong, but I've never noticed the guest star's name there before. It was an interesting difference.

As for my original question, though it may have already been answered and I have just misunderstood, did the left-hand credits or the centre credits come first? Or were they simultaneous and just regional differences. From what I've read above I'm lead to believe it was the latter. I'ts kind of interesting.
You obviously didn't see my post above ;-)

The left-hand credits were prepared for the UK broadcasts; the centered credits for the non-UK sales. As such, all 120 shows exist (or existed) in both forms right from the start. All the left-hand credit rolls credit the guest star; the only centered roll to do so (AFAIK) is the Star Wars one. I don't know the reasons for the differences, but I suspect that it's down to a) the non-UK shows needing to carry the CBS credit line and an ITC copyright (the UK versions only have the ATV copyright), and b) the rules in the UK are that speaking artistes must be credited on-screen.

For some reason, the syndication package available in recent years consists of a mixture of left-hand and centered shows. I don't know why.