First season closing credits

minor muppetz

Reaction score
anathema said:
the only centered roll to do so (AFAIK) is the Star Wars one. I don't know the reasons for the differences, but I suspect that it's down to a) the non-UK shows needing to carry the CBS credit line and an ITC copyright (the UK versions only have the ATV copyright), and b) the rules in the UK are that speaking artistes must be credited on-screen.
if speaking artists needed on-screen credit, then I wonder why Louise Gold didn't get credited for her episodes in the second season. Ditto with the performers who auditioned on the Zero Mostel and Milton Berle episodes.

anathema

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
if speaking artists needed on-screen credit, then I wonder why Louise Gold didn't get credited for her episodes in the second season. Ditto with the performers who auditioned on the Zero Mostel and Milton Berle episodes.
Who says they weren't credited on the UK versions of the shows? All my Season 2 tapes are the non-UK versions, unfortunately, so I cannot confirm whether Louise and the others were credited in the UK.

David French

Reaction score
anathema said:
It's nothing to do with the running time. Disney hold the rights to the show. ITC do not. No copyright holder is going to include an invalid copyright text on a commercial product, even if it's followed by their own.

Removal of the ITC logo is as you point out, not possible. But it's still a) someone else's trade mark, and b) someone else's copyright.
I disagree; Carlton have released DVD sets of The Saint, The Professionals amongst others on the Umbrella label, but despite that they have kept all the old Copyright text on the end credits (pity they didn't restore the original Season One titles for The Professionals). Just because a certain copyright is invalid shouldn't matter; it's still part of the original programme. I mean, you wouldn't expect TCM (Turner Classic Movies) to change the copyright on the films they screen just because a certain Movie Studio no longer exists, do you?

With regards to the Kaye Ballard show - the final shot is of Rowlf with his paw in his mouth, looking rather nervously at the camera, while at the same time Nigel looks at the camera and bows to the audience.

anathema

Reaction score
David French said:
I disagree; Carlton have released DVD sets of The Saint, The Professionals amongst others on the Umbrella label, but despite that they have kept all the old Copyright text on the end credits (pity they didn't restore the original Season One titles for The Professionals). Just because a certain copyright is invalid shouldn't matter; it's still part of the original programme. I mean, you wouldn't expect TCM (Turner Classic Movies) to change the copyright on the films they screen just because a certain Movie Studio no longer exists, do you?
I wouldn't put anything past TCM... :-P

In that case, it may be a policy decision on the part of Henson and/or Disney, or perhaps the convention is different in the case where the original rights holder no longer exists (ATV/ITC still exist, albeit under different names). It may even have been part of the original deal when Henson bought the rights - I don't know.

With regards to the Kaye Ballard show - the final shot is of Rowlf with his paw in his mouth, looking rather nervously at the camera, while at the same time Nigel looks at the camera and bows to the audience.
Are you talking about the DVD release?

David French

Reaction score
anathema said:
Are you talking about the DVD release?
No, I was merely answering the query that someone had earlier as to what the last shot was on that particular episode.

anathema

Reaction score
David French said:
No, I was merely answering the query that someone had earlier as to what the last shot was on that particular episode.
:smile: Yeah, I have a copy of that too.

Do you by any chance have - or know what - the original endings were to some of the other shows? So far as I can tell, the following shows had non-standard endings:

Harry Belafonte
Roger Miller - probably the chickens :smile:
Dudley Moore - probably MAMMA
Mac Davis - probably Beaker
Carol Burnett

Loretta Lynn also has a non-standard ending, of which I have a copy, and there may be other shows I don't know about :smile:

David French

Reaction score
anathema said:
:smile: Yeah, I have a copy of that too.

Do you by any chance have - or know what - the original endings were to some of the other shows? So far as I can tell, the following shows had non-standard endings:

Harry Belafonte
Roger Miller - probably the chickens :smile:
Dudley Moore - probably MAMMA
Mac Davis - probably Beaker
Carol Burnett

Loretta Lynn also has a non-standard ending, of which I have a copy, and there may be other shows I don't know about :smile:
I certainly can. In fact, I posted what some of them were on IMDB under the Crazy Credits section. :smile:

Harry Belafonte - one of the Masked dancers blows the Sax note at the end (on stage as well).
Roger Miller - Zoot as a Chicken blows the final note.
Dudley Moore - Animal starts to hit MAMMA, it plays the final Sax note, and Animal falls down.
Mac Davis - the Beaker "clone" playing the sax plays the final note.
Carol Burnett - Zoot plays the final note, and Carol then says off-camera "Oh rats!"

anathema

Reaction score
David French said:
I certainly can. In fact, I posted what some of them were on IMDB under the Crazy Credits section. :smile:

Harry Belafonte - one of the Masked dancers blows the Sax note at the end (on stage as well).
Roger Miller - Zoot as a Chicken blows the final note.
Dudley Moore - Animal starts to hit MAMMA, it plays the final Sax note, and Animal falls down.
Mac Davis - the Beaker "clone" playing the sax plays the final note.
Carol Burnett - Zoot plays the final note, and Carol then says off-camera "Oh rats!"
That's great, thankyou very much! Do you have copies you'd be willing to trade? :-D

David French

Reaction score
anathema said:
That's great, thankyou very much! Do you have copies you'd be willing to trade? :-D
'fraid not. Most of that is coming from memory, and unfortunately I don't have any full episodes on video tape....

Actually, strictly speaking that's not true. I have the Buddy Rich episode in full (sans UK Skit) but it's the version with Zoot blowing a bubble, but more importantly I don't have facilities to dub videos.

In addition, I also have some younger cousins who like to watch the episodes I've got and I think they'd be a wee bit sad if I sent my Muppet Show compilation tape to the other side of the world. ;-)

To make up for that, however, I plan on posting cuts made to the episodes when TV 3 last screened the series here in NZ.

anathema

Reaction score
David French said:
'fraid not. Most of that is coming from memory, and unfortunately I don't have any full episodes on video tape....
In that case, may I commend you on your impressive memory! :smile:

I think I shall put a page up soon with as many original endings as I have...and a plea for copies of the missing ones!