Flanderized Muppets?

AquaGGR

Reaction score
Fart shoes would go well with Fozzie's Groucho Marx mask and plastic chickens, though...

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Fart shoes would go well with Fozzie's Groucho Marx mask and plastic chickens, though...
Groucho wasn't big on that kind of humor, but I get you, lol. It's not the whoopie cushions I had a problem with. As others said, they have always been a part of humor. But just saying "fart shoes!" is not funny or witty and it's not something Fozzie would have ever said on Muppet Show or the original movies. It was just a cheap laugh because little kids like fart jokes and the studios know it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
And about the fart shoes, and maybe there is a better place to point this out, in many of the promos that scene comes after a clip of Kermit saying that the Muppets don't resort to cheap tricks, and I think there was an interview with either the director or one of the writers saying that the fart shoes scene was acceptable because it came after a line about not doing cheap tricks.... But the "we don't do cheap tricks" line was cut and the fart shoes appeared after Walter mentioned the Muppets being so talented. I wonder if it was originally meant to follow the cheap tricks line but moved when the line got cut (we see Kermit and Walter making facial reactions, not sure if it had to be after the line, or if maybe that was shot after some scenes got cut). "Fart shoes" is funnier after a line about not doing cheap tricks than after a line about being so talented.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I still say there's no point in fussing over the bit. Not counting the two callbacks, it was one mediocre joke in a movie with about 300 more that were great.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well that's the thing, there's a big difference between being vaguely geeky and being a computer nerd. Six String Orchestra is Scooter to me. Working at Google is not.
I still don't see why that's too different. The point is that almost everyone else left show biz, and the one that was still there, Fozzie, was totally miserable with a crappy stage show in Reno.

I' venture to think Scooter would like computers in a modern setting. The 70's, definitely not. Computers weren't as commonplace and easy to get back then. If anything, they're bridging the gap between the MB cartoon Scooter and the original Scooter. Though they did miss a choice joke about how he's only there because his uncle is a major stockholder.

But then again, looking a gift horse in the mouth. We have Scooter back, and remember, we were elated when he was selling t-shirts for 4 seconds in MFS.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I still don't see why that's too different. The point is that almost everyone else left show biz, and the one that was still there, Fozzie, was totally miserable with a crappy stage show in Reno.

Sam the Eagle was on the news, and The Electric Mayhem was performing in a train station. Maybe not big ways, but still performing.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I think MTM did it better with Scooter pretending his job at the movie theater is more glamorous than it is, lol.

Most people like computers, doesn't mean we all dream of working for Google, lol. And yeah a line about his Uncle owning stock would be much more in line with Scooter's opportunistic side.

Eh anyway, if the new movie sticks with the showbiz stuff and plays down computers I'll be happy, lol.