Follow That Bird Discussion Thread

BEAR

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
I really loved "Follow That Bird" a lot too. I saw it back when it came out in '85 and then taped it off HBO and watched it again and then again a few years later, but haven't seen it since then. It's one of my older movies that I've been meaning to rewatch for a long time now.
Isn't it a beautiful film. i mean, it just looks so good the way they made it. Very authentic. The on location shots are good too.

The writing was also very smart. It never played down to its audience which is something Sesame Street had believed against from the beginning. It was a kids movie but there wasn't any reason why parents and adults couldn't enjoy it as well. It was treated and made like any other of the classic Muppet films. Obviously there was slightly less "edge". The comedy was great. One of my favorite parts was when Bird is on the plane and he starts singing really loud "LA LA LA LA LA!" and those two ladies in front of him turn around and give him a dirty annoyed look. Makes me laugh so hard. It makes me think of people who get irritated on planes or in restaraunts when another person;s child is screaming loud or misbehaving or just being annoying and everyone looks over at the parents with that bugged look. but the best part here is that Big Bird stops himself with a clearing of the throat *ahem*

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I won't disagree with this. Oscar definitely helped drive the film. Cookie Monster was just a great comedic supporting character. His little moments were always so great. The interactions between him and Gordon were hilarious. Eating the car? I can't believe he was eating the car!
Cookie Monster should have ate the lock on big birds cage, or maybe even the bars. geez.....

I also feel that the set in this movie was better than the usual set.

BEAR

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Cookie Monster should have ate the lock on big birds cage, or maybe even the bars. geez.....

I also feel that the set in this movie was better than the usual set.

Yeah you would think if he can eat through a car, he can chew apart the bars on the cage in a flash. He was a little too interested in the Cookie;s though. Besides, you know how much noise he makes when he eats, maybe he would have been to loud eating the cage and waking the brothers up. Also, that was sort of Linda's shining moment of the film when she's the one who got the keys.

Censored

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Luis also appeared in Elmo In Grouchland without any lines, and I wonder why David didn't appear in this movie. it seems like Luis also didn't appear in many of the early Sesame Street specials: Christmas Eve on Sesame Street, A Special Sesame Street Christmas, and Don't Eat The Pictures don't include him, although with the exception of a special sesame street christmas most of the main humans appeared in those specials (well, I gues that somebody had to watch the fix-it shop.... ).

Well, the actor who played David, Northern Calloway, had been long deceased by the time Elmo In Grouchland was made. However, I have often wondered why David didn't appear in Follow That Bird which was in the mid eighties when Northern Calloway was still alive and very much a part of the show. David was the only thing missing in that classic movie, FTB.

BEAR

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
Well, the actor who played David, Northern Calloway, had been long deceased by the time Elmo In Grouchland was made. However, I have often wondered why David didn't appear in Follow That Bird which was in the mid eighties when David was still alive and very much a part of the show. David's absence was the only thing missing in that classic movie, FTB.

That's the movie that Minor muppetz was referring to in regards to David's appearance, not Grouchland. I know its hard to tell from the way it was written, but i got it.

AAO

Reaction score
This Is My Favorite Film - Ever!

I love this film! It's nothing but fun! Although I love "The Blues Brothers", this one takes the award. Big Bird has and always will be my favorite Muppet. Then, having him star in his own motion picture was ten times better! Everytime I watched this film I would get excited over the fact that the cast was "leaving" Sesame Street and going off on the road to save that big yellow bird. The only part I hated was that Snuffy couldn't join them. It would have been nice to have seen Big Bird and Snuffy on the run - like a buddy movie - Bob Hope and Bing Crosby films. The Sleaze Brothers, Dave Thomas and Joe Flaherty, were terrific. I had seen their work on SCTV. I especially love the part when they capture poor Big Bird while they're playing cards. If you listen, you can hear Ronnie Milsap singing "Working On My Attitude" on a radio in the background. But anyway, when Big Bird is begging them to let him out. I laugh everytime he says, "Don't I even get a phone call? I'll be really good." :stick_out_tongue: I just wish the DVD would have had better "special features". I mean, how hard is it to get a camera on Caroll Spinney and ask a few questions. I read his book "The Wisdom Of Big Bird", he could give us a lot more details on the making of this wonderful picture. I just hope a special edition comes out soon! I'd also like to see Miss Finch return to Sesame Street. Nothing too chaotic, but just to let us know where she's been since 1985! :big_grin:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
AAO said:
The only part I hated was that Snuffy couldn't join them. It would have been nice to have seen Big Bird and Snuffy on the run - like a buddy movie - Bob Hope and Bing Crosby films.
At the time that this movie was made, all of the sesame street adults thought that Snuffy was Big Birds imaginary friend, and ironically they didn't see him for the first time untill a few months after this movie was released. You might have noticed that this movie didn't have any direct refferences to him being imaginary. the movies producers were probably aware that Snuffy would be revealed to be real soon and didn't want the film to be dated when it was released on video (although there was a book inspired by this film, Big Bird Goes To The carnival, which talks about Snuffy being imaginary). either that, or the producers weren't sure if this movie would be released before or after Snuffy was seen as being real.

AAO said:
The Sleaze Brothers, Dave Thomas and Joe Flaherty, were terrific.
I agree. They also appeared as a pair of mountees in one of my favorite episodes of That '70s Show, titled "Canadian Road Trip".

AAO said:
If you listen, you can hear Ronnie Milsap singing "Working On My Attitude" on a radio in the background.
That song is listed in the song credits along with something called "All Together Now", which I beleive is the song that plays on Gordons car radio when Super grover flies into Gordons car.

AAO said:
I just wish the DVD would have had better "special features". I mean, how hard is it to get a camera on Caroll Spinney and ask a few questions. I read his book "The Wisdom Of Big Bird", he could give us a lot more details on the making of this wonderful picture. I just hope a special edition comes out soon!
I agree. I wish I knew more behind the scenes information about this movie. This movie wasn't even mentioned in Sesame Street Unpaved, and was hardly mentioned in Jim Henson: The Works. is there somebody who worked on this movie who doens't want detailed behind-the-scenes information revealed?
:mad:

Gonzo14

Reaction score
i just noticed, this movie isn't completely Elmo-less, at the end you can see him poking his head out of a window

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
At the time that this movie was made, all of the sesame street adults thought that Snuffy was Big Birds imaginary friend, and ironically they didn't see him for the first time untill a few months after this movie was released. You might have noticed that this movie didn't have any direct refferences to him being imaginary. the movies producers were probably aware that Snuffy would be revealed to be real soon and didn't want the film to be dated when it was released on video (although there was a book inspired by this film, Big Bird Goes To The carnival, which talks about Snuffy being imaginary). either that, or the producers weren't sure if this movie would be released before or after Snuffy was seen as being real.
Well, I remember Snuffy stayed home to watch Big Bird's nest. But I see your point. If this movie were made today, he might have went along with the rest of the gang.

AAO

Reaction score
Ronnie Milsap

So, "Working on My Attitude" isn't listed at the end of the credits? I have the "Follow That Bird" soundtrack and it's listed as Ronnie Milsap singing that song. Alabama was singing "All Together Now". I love both of those songs. I've also heard there was a music video to Alabama's "All Together Now". I'm not sure, but that's what I've heard. :smile: