Follow That Bird Discussion Thread

AAO

Reaction score
The Blue Bird

Also, what ever happened to the Blue Big Bird puppet? I'm guessing they either destroyed it or it's in storage. And what about Miss Finch? I think the following season of Sesame Street should have Miss Finch return to check in on Big Bird which would also give us a follow up on her character. Oh! They need to also check in with the Do-Do's! I'm tired of Sesame Street using all their "key monsters" to run the plots. Telly, Elmo, and Zoe are okay and so is Baby Bear. But c'mon! Big Bird has had small subplots now and then, but it's not fair to see such a vibrant and very popular character fade away. Elmo needs to bite the dust. :mad: LOL - But Follow That Bird was, in my opionion, the best movie ever! Having 8 feet tall Big Bird jump from a moving truck was great! Although, I noticed in the chase scene, Ernie and Bert are nowhere to be seen until the final scene of the film where they're in the crowd. :stick_out_tongue: :frown: Yet, they're only seen in the carts of the Ferris Wheel keeping a look out. It would have been ten times better if they would have had Ernie and Bert fly over the truck to distract the Sleaze Brothers.

BEAR

Reaction score
Gonzo14 said:
i just noticed, this movie isn't completely Elmo-less, at the end you can see him poking his head out of a window

Yes, this was before he stepped out from the background ensemble and became a more principle character.

AAO

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Yes, this was before he stepped out from the background ensemble and became a more principle character.
You're right Bear, for I've found old tapes of Elmo when he sounded a lot different than he does today.

But again, does anyone know the whereabouts of the Blue Big Bird or Miss Finch?

AAO

Reaction score
Wasn't there also a Sesame Street Live show that was sort of based on this film? If so, was Miss Finch in it? I've read about it before on the Sesame Street Live Website about Big Bird running away to join the circus, but I'm not too sure.

I just want to know so much about this film, I'm breaking out in hives. LOL :smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
I would like to learn more behind the scenes stuff from this movie too. A special edition would be great!! Just to see what the cast remembers from the experiences making the film. I am sure this was the first major film for even the human cast like Sonia Manzano, Alaina Reed, Bob McGrath and Rosco Orman. What do they recall from making the movie? How does Carroll Spinney remember from the production? How did they create the street set? How did they develop the concept for the screenplay? The music--how did they come up with some of those songs? Alaina Reed (Olivia) sang a lot in the movie, I wanna hear about her. Where/how did they get the cameo stars? Why did they choose certain characters to do certain things? I want to know everything! I don't know why they never talk about it.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
I agree! I bought Follow that Bird on DVD a couple of months ago and was so disapointed that there weren't more special features. It does seem like there is not alot of emphasis put on this movie. Why is that? I'm assuming it did fairly well when it was released. You'd think with SS's 30th anniversary last year that they would've maybe wanted to cover this movie on something or do a special edition dvd or something. I don't know, I love this movie, but I wish I knew more about how it came together and that type of thing.

AAO

Reaction score
EXACTLY! I've never known of anyone that has loved this movie as much as I do. :smile: It's a great movie! It needs to be treated as one! I bought the DVD two years ago when I was at the beach. The year before I had bought the soundtrack. I give the soundtrack 4 stars! But the DVD, I give it 2 stars. I give the film a full 4, but the special features, 2, on account of the great movie trailer. Other than that, C'MON WARNER BROTHERS! BE KIND! Give us a special edition! :attitude: :excited:

BEAR

Reaction score
redBoobergurl said:
I agree! I bought Follow that Bird on DVD a couple of months ago and was so disapointed that there weren't more special features. It does seem like there is not alot of emphasis put on this movie. Why is that? I'm assuming it did fairly well when it was released. You'd think with SS's 30th anniversary last year that they would've maybe wanted to cover this movie on something or do a special edition dvd or something. I don't know, I love this movie, but I wish I knew more about how it came together and that type of thing.
Actually, last year was not Sesame's 30th anniversary. They are entering their 37th year soon.

Also, the trailer that they include on the dvd is weird. Was this the trailer they really used? They dub a different voice for Grover's lines in the trailer and I don't like it. Why did they do that? It is the one thing that looks really bad.

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
BEAR said:
Actually, last year was not Sesame's 30th anniversary. They are entering their 37th year soon.

Also, the trailer that they include on the dvd is weird. Was this the trailer they really used? They dub a different voice for Grover's lines in the trailer and I don't like it. Why did they do that? It is the one thing that looks really bad.
Oops, you're right, I meant 35th anniversary. They did that whole "The Street We Live On" thing. The 30th anniversary is when Unpaved came out. Either way, it would've been neat if they had highlighted Follow that Bird for one of the anniversaries.

BEAR

Reaction score
redBoobergurl said:
Oops, you're right, I meant 35th anniversary. They did that whole "The Street We Live On" thing. The 30th anniversary is when Unpaved came out. Either way, it would've been neat if they had highlighted Follow that Bird for one of the anniversaries.

I agree with you. Maybe when it gets closer to Carroll Spinney's retirement (which I really don't hope is too soon) they will release a special edition dvd in his celebration.
He didn't even talk about the movie in his book much did he? I wonder why. You would think that is one of the top highlights of his career playing Big Bird.