For 80s era fans who have the Old School sets

MJTaylor

Reaction score
I finally got around to watcing all of Sesame Street Old School the other day and it was just wonderful. My only gripe was that it left me wanting to see more from the first five seasons.:frown:
I'd like to suggest that they put out a volume 3 but instead of the premire episodes from the 1979-83 seasons, they could randomly pick some shows from the first five seasons.

Mr Devco

Reaction score
I got got the Old School DVDs from my local library. I am 22 minuets into the pilot episode. It is very unusual to see the show from the very beginning. I was born in the very late eighties so the closest things I got to hear from the early shows is the records which were copied onto cassettes (we don't have either anymore :cry:) I wonder why they decided to only put five of the full episodes on the sets instead or going by season:confused:

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I got got the Old School DVDs from my local library. I am 22 minuets into the pilot episode. It is very unusual to see the show from the very beginning. I was born in the very late eighties so the closest things I got to hear from the early shows is the records which were copied onto cassettes (we don't have either anymore :cry:) I wonder why they decided to only put five of the full episodes on the sets instead or going by season:confused:
I'd love to see full season sets too but I think the reason they didn't do that is because there was probably too many copyright/legalities involved. Think of all the music, animation, etc. that's been used over the years. They probably would've had to go to all those people and get the "ok" from them to put it out on a DVD.

I work in the DVD industry myself so there's a lot stuff you gotta go through to get stuff released on video. I'm just glad to see this early stuff out at all.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Even if all the legal obstacles were cleared, putting an older season of Sesame Street on DVD would be too expensive for both the Workshop and the average fan: until eight years ago, a whole season was 130 hour-long episodes! The earlier ones also repeated so many of the same clips, that most people would lose interest.

Reaction score
Yes, 130 would be a bit much. But I'd love to see sets of maybe 26 episodes, each featuring one of the letters of the alphabet as a main letter of the day. As well as loving it myself, I'd use it to help educate my daughters.

I love the 10 episodes featured on the sets but it's almost shocking to think they're sitting on 1300 episodes from that 10 year period! Or indeed any period in SS history. Get them out there and help the first generation of Streeters teach the next generation.

At least, that's what I'd like.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Yes, 130 would be a bit much. But I'd love to see sets of maybe 26 episodes, each featuring one of the letters of the alphabet as a main letter of the day. As well as loving it myself, I'd use it to help educate my daughters.

I love the 10 episodes featured on the sets but it's almost shocking to think they're sitting on 1300 episodes from that 10 year period! Or indeed any period in SS history. Get them out there and help the first generation of Streeters teach the next generation.

At least, that's what I'd like.
Amen to that! Most of the older seasons (at least, Season 3 and later) taught more than one letter per episode though; why not make the per-season total an even 30, with the four extras dedicated to milestone events on the show? There'd be a chance for all letters and numbers to appear that way; it'd also be a great way to fit the "trip weeks" in (New Mexico in '75, Hawaii in '78, Montana in the 1980s--I forget the year). It'd also make room for events like Snuffy showing himself to the adults, Miles getting adopted, and so forth in the later seasons; the climax of those plots usually took three or four episodes each.

Reaction score
Yep, that would be a great idea. It would give some continuity to the sets which would help them work for new audiences - the children of those of us who grew up with them in the first place.

StreetScenes

Reaction score
yeah, more episodes would be great. and it's nice to have physical dvds with nice packaging where you can pop in a full episode--that is a unique offering of the old school sets, so they should definitely continue them through the 80s & early 90s.

but it also seems that there is another need: there are plenty of people who want enough classic ss so their kids can grow up on it too, and plenty of fans who would buy more than one episode per year. i'm excited by the episodes that are available on itunes. just having an itunes download would make it cheaper to put more out for people to buy however many episodes they wanted. and it would serve a different purpose than the dvds.

MJTaylor

Reaction score
Maybe what they could do is, they could put out season sets but instead of entire seasons they could have say, 30 episodes each set and call the first one say, Sesame Street Season 1 Volume 1. The second one could be Season 1 volume 2 and so on and so forth.
I know Warner Bros. did this with the first season of The Smurfs.