Fraggle Puppets

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Im gonna attempt to make a Fraggle, BlueFrackle infact !

What do you think is best, Sculpting a head or using sheets of foam to build it ?

Can you recomend a certain type of Foam ?

What about the hair ?

How would you make long hair with Ostrich Feathers ?

And what about Patterns, anyone got any good ones ?

Any help will be much appreciated !!

Thanks

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
Warrick

I made a Mokey and a Boober Pattern and they work really well.

What Fraggle are you going to make?

Sir Didymus

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Agh! I wish *I* had a Mokey pattern...

*sigh*

*Such* a pattern... :smile:

But I do have a plush, so at least there's that! :big_grin:

BorkBork

Reaction score
Re: Warrick

Originally posted by Sir Didymus
I made a Mokey and a Boober Pattern and they work really well.

Sir Didymus
Well, cant you post a pic of them? I just love to see that fan-work :smile:

/Anders

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Jake !

Yeah id love to see the Patterns and pics of how they turned out !

I attempted my first Fraggle head yesterday, It was real good, Except for being too small.

So im gonna just make another Puppet using that head, And then try the Fraggle again.
But atleast now i know how to make the shape with 1/2 foam sheets.

My Fraggles head is gonna be about the same shape as Mokey, Mabe a bit longer like Cantus'.

Thanks !!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Hi Warrick,

Ideally, I'd suggest using sheets of 3/4" foam (scott foam is best, but the regular stuff for upholstry is OK too) they can be glued together using contact cement gel (I recommend LePage's Premium contact cement). Some people also use Barge. Make sure you have a respirator with the proper filters if you are using contact cement though and don't forget to wear latex gloves.

If you don't want to use contact cement I know some people just hot glue foam together but I don't like this method.

rtgentry

Reaction score
Labrat, Please email me , the email you had does not work. It's about a puppet

Punch'n'Judy

Reaction score
In response to Buckbeavers post Warrick the best English equivalent to these glues is Impact, made by Evostick, but make sure you don't use the solvent free type.

Scott foam supplier in London is Pentonville Rubber Company, Pentonville Road (nr Kings X).

re Patterns, you could try making one yourself, from profile and front on drawings of the puppet.

Best,
James

TopperFraggle

Reaction score
The fraggles are cool to do replicas of cause they are identifiable as a "species" but you can mix and match colors and designs for a unique character. Please post pics of your finished fraggle. I'd love to see it.

One thing that I noticed about the fraggles that is not necessarily a given when making a puppet is that they don't really seem to have any mouth board. Basically the structure of the mouth is just the foam and fabric, so the puppeteer can not only open and close the mouth, but bend and twist it in any number of ways. Like Kermit's mouth. This seems to be consistent with all of the main fraggles and all of the others that I've seen. Just something to keep in mind.

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
they have plates in thier mouths, trust me, they just a re a little different from others, they were designed to be very flexible, and allow movment, with out a mouth plate of somekind, u would end up with a mouth that never looks fully closed, like on some of those cheesey ministry puppets or education puppets out thier