Frank on Little Mermaid DVD

Princeton

Reaction score
In the making-of on the Little Mermaid DVD, Howard Ashman is discussed and Frank apperas as well, talking about Howard's advice to him when Howard's musical LSoH was to become a movie directed by Frank. Just thought I'd share it with y'all.

superboober

Reaction score
The loss of Ashman was a major blow to the company that's still felt today.

But while we're on this, I'm told that in fact if you look close enough when Triton enters the concert hall at the beginning, you can actually see Kermit in the audience! Can anyone else confirm this?

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Oh wow! That's REALLY cool! Now I cannot wait to get that DVD! Not only do I LOVE the movie, but now that I know Frank Oz is on it I'm DYING with anticipation!! :excited:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh that's great! Maybe I'll get it at some point. I'm glad The Little Mermaid is out at all! I used to have a sleeping bag and towel with Ariel and friends.

Skye

Reaction score
heralde said:
I'm glad The Little Mermaid is out at all! I used to have a sleeping bag and towel with Ariel and friends.
I used to have those, too. I actually also used to have Little Mermaid bed sheets! I'm really happy that this movie is out now, too. And it's very cool that Frank appears in the extras. Definitely a cool addition to a very cute movie!

Vic Romano

Reaction score
superboober said:
I'm told that in fact if you look close enough when Triton enters the concert hall at the beginning, you can actually see Kermit in the audience! Can anyone else confirm this?
Really!? I've never heard of that before. Is that even possible? I think Little Mermaid came out in '89, but production started on it four years earlier, long before the original Henson/Disney deal. I have the VHS currently, I'll have to go look but I'm really curious if anyone knows more about this too! If not, maybe we can start a rumor! :smile:

CoOKiE

Reaction score
If anyone is seriouse about getting the Little Mermaid, Best Buy has exclusive plush dolls of Sebastion and Flounder. What part in the production did Frank have with tLM?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well... The new 2-disc release of The Little Mermaid is definitely on my wishlist, along with all the other Muppet stuff... Will have to defer to whoever can find Kermit in the audience, but that is a scene I want to go over with someone who can help me describe everything when watching it.

Gonna be a Muppety holiday season this year with so much on the wishlist.

Princeton

Reaction score
CoOKiE said:
If anyone is seriouse about getting the Little Mermaid, Best Buy has exclusive plush dolls of Sebastion and Flounder. What part in the production did Frank have with tLM?
Yep, and they're FREE, too (I got Flounder)! CoOkie, Frank had nothing to do with tLM. He was just commenting on Howard Ashman, who executive produced and wrote all the songs (including additional dialogue) for tLM. Frank directed the movie adapt of LSoH, which was directed (as a play) by Howard Ashman.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Wow, this is great! I was thinking I might get it, but now I'll definately have to!