1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Frank Oz' Muppet documentary "Muppet Guys Talking" premiering at SXSW on March 12, 2017

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by smalltimecrook, Jan 31, 2017.

1. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I wonder which five it'll be, besides Frank Oz. I could see Dave Goelz and Steve Whitmire being involved. Maybe also Louise Gold and Kathryn Mullen. But I don't think it says they are all Muppet performers. It would be a surprise if John Lovelady was among them. I also wonder if this might be like the behind-the-scenes feature on TMS Season Three which included performers who never worked on the show (like Bill Baretta and Kevin Clash).

2. The picture shows Frank Oz, Dave Goelz, Fran Brill, Jerry Nelson and Bill Barretta.

cahuenga likes this.
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

How long ago was this in development if Jerry and Fran were involved?

4. It's probably Frank Oz' passion project that he's been developing over time.

5. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Mamma mia!

6. zns

zns Well-Known Member

This is really big news. And it's premiering in March too. The fact that Frank Oz is directing the movie certainly makes it sound like it been well taken care of.

cahuenga and muppetlover123 like this.
  7. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

This is going to be very special, seeing new footage of Jerry almost 5 years after his death. It's also awesome to see Frank Oz be talking openly about the muppets again, as there was a long period of time when he wouldn't speak of that time of his life.

8. muppetlover123

muppetlover123 Well-Known Member

I'm so excited!!

9. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

I'm super excited, but it will probably be a long time until I'll be able to watch it after March. Although, if it somehow finds itself in a film festival over here, you'll bet I'll be jumping in the car for a road trip.

10. D'Snowth

Yeah, it's really frustrated that so many of these films about the Muppets and/or the people involved with them get such limited releases in film festival circuits or only certain theaters in cities like NYC or LA . . . I only got to see BEING ELMO when PBS aired it as an episode of INDEPENDENT LENS (I think), and I AM BIG BIRD when Comcast had it On Demand for just one weekend.

11. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

This is very exciting news. As D'Snowth mentioned I am not sure exactly when I'll be able to see it. We'll need all the posters here to be vigilant if they learn of any showings, because as D'Snowth pointed out these films can have very limited i.e. one weekend runs. On a side note (that D'Snowth did not point out - see I have original thoughts too) those chairs the five are sitting in look mighty comfortable.

12. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

:eek::eek:
    Oh my gosh, this is amazing! It's wonderful that the other Muppeteers are getting some spotlight. And i'm really glad they were able to make this before Jerry passed.
    And hey, this is in Austin, I only live about a couple of hours from Austin, so maybe i'll be able to go. And since this is the premiere, maybe some Muppeteers will actually be there. Maybe i'll actually get to meet Frank Oz or at least see him in person! :excited:

13. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

Pig's Laundry likes this.
  14. Pig's Laundry

If I go, I will definitely tell you guys every single detail of the event, so it'll hopefully feel almost like you were there. Although, I really need to look into it first to see if it's practical for me to go. And I need to check ticket prices and all that.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  15. Pig's Laundry

16. D'Snowth

Even normal people with jobs don't have that kind of money to blow.

17. Pig's Laundry

Welp, so much for that :rolleyes:

18. Rugratskid

Rugratskid Active Member

It's likely it'll be like "I AM BIG BIRD", where it'll get an eventual public release; really excited for Oz be doing something Muppet related.. as far as I'm concerned, he should be the one frontrunning future Muppet projects, instead of Disney just doing as they please.

cahuenga likes this.
  19. jobi71

jobi71 Active Member

So much for copious notes. I would have thought there would have been at least a daily pass option (which still would be about 125.00) but if you did a full day of events and screenings and such it could be worth it.