Gas Boycott

armslength

Reaction score
General gas boycotts often don't work for the reasons already stated...a more practical solution that others have tried to organize in the past is boycotting one of the biggest companies (Valero - used to be Exxon for example or Chevron) for a prolonged amount of time. This more realistically makes a big company feel an impact and spreads the message to the others that this action could be directed at any of you.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Why are they still call Sports utility where there is never any sports utility in them? There are actually a few models that save gas thought.
Yeah, but even then, they still take quite a bit of gas to run, otherwise.

Anyway, I may not be a big fan of Hillary (Politics later, not in this thread) but I really loved what she said about the OPEC being a monopoly cartelle. I mean, trace the money that goes into oil, and you'll see what I mean. They're the ones behind the shortage, as they're producing less to drive the oil price (and their profits) up. I bet they could have settled a UK strike for Oil pipeline workers, but that would mean they'd lose so much blood money.

All the while, Venezuala is practically giving it away, but seeing that they're a far left government, our government doesn't want to deal with them. So folks, we can blame both our government and OPEC for both scamming us out of cheap gas.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Heh, I wouldn't want to deal with Venezuala anyway. (But yeah politics later). :wink:

Good Monster

Reaction score
Good points, about the greed of OPEC and the reasons for high gas prices...but at least on the bright side, enough people are getting scared and being more concervative that these trends of bigger, better, faster...consume, consume, consume are turning around. People are starting to care more about how what they do impacts the world. I think that now that people are getting concerned, that is what is grabbing OPEC's attention, that people want to use less gas. A one day boycott may ruffle a few feathers, but consuming less gas forever has got to scare them. Unfortunately, I think that that's what is going to bring out the worst in them...I think prices are at a false high because they see a change on the horizon and they are going to fight tooth and nail to keep that from happening.:smirk:

JJandJanice

Reaction score
I hate to say but this probably isn't going to work. Unless where you work is very close to where you live, but as for me, I'm not able to do so.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Heh, I wouldn't want to deal with Venezuala anyway. (But yeah politics later). :wink:
hey, if they could give us cheaper oil, we should just suck it the heck up and say, "hey, if we take it from, them, a gallon of Milk won't wind up too much for families to afford." However, if it was an ultra-conservative dictatorship, we'd be the best of friends with them. Go figure.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
hey, if they could give us cheaper oil, we should just suck it the heck up and say, "hey, if we take it from, them, a gallon of Milk won't wind up too much for families to afford." However, if it was an ultra-conservative dictatorship, we'd be the best of friends with them. Go figure.
I'm just done with Oil, far left government or far right. (And if they were really far left, they wouldn't use Oil, in my opinion heh). We need to work with different types of energy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
We need to work with different types of energy.

And take a wild guess who's funding the "research" for these alternative fuels? The gas and oil companies. It's like when Tabacco Companies fund health research. They have clear and specific reasons for taking so long, if you know what I mean.

Personally, I think it's rediculous we scoff at Venuzela for their politics, and theirfore, won't except their oil, but we give good money to certain nations who turn around and fund certain dangerous activities.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Personally, I think it's rediculous we scoff at Venuzela for their politics, and theirfore, won't except their oil, but we give good money to certain nations who turn around and fund certain dangerous activities.
Oh I agree about the hypocrisy, definitely. I just wouldn't except Oil from them no matter what politics they had. (Though at the moment I'm even less inclined to do business with them).

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, but even then, they still take quite a bit of gas to run, otherwise.
I'm sure that's true for quite a few models. But if you look enouhg there are some that can save a whole lot of gas on the mile. I mean you could probably make it like a two half a states making approximately a whole before needing to stop for gas again. and make anything round. Because I know when we travel it is too few and in between before we need gas again. There are some really good models it you rally look for them.