Going Camping: Has anyone gone before?

Beth C

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just found out today that I'm invited on a camping trip at the end of June!!! I'm leaving on the 25th at night and I'll be back late Tues!!!

I've never been camping before but I'm going to make the best of this vacation!! (I wish it could be longer, but hey something is better than nothing!) It's just me and my sister and two of our friends.

I don't know what to bring besides a sleeping bag and some changes of clothes. Any suggestions?? We are going to be camping in a state park (I wish we had mountains..) so we aren't totally 'roughing' it.

If anyone can toss suggestions my way, I'd love it!!

~Beth C

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Have a great time! I love camping. We go every year, not as much as I'd like, but at least once per summer. Make sure you get lots of ice and bring lots of warm clothes. Most likely you'll have to deal with very warm weather during the day and very cool weather at night. And bring lots of food! If you go around the campsites you might find recently vacated sites with firewood lying around. We always check around for that. And bring a couple flashlights, because it's kinda scary walking to the bathroom in the dark!
Erin

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I've never been,but please don't forget the toilet paper,very important if you're going to 'rough it' (you don't want to rough that part).Make sure you wear high socks & keep your shoes laces up,in case of ticks(always check your hair and body for them,very serious that is). And try to bring plenty of bottled water for everybody.Good luck & have fun.

Whatever

Reaction score
Hope it doesn't rain, and bring lots of plastic bags to keep stuff dry in case it does. A first-aid kit and plenty of matches aren't a bad idea either. Have fun!

Beth C

Reaction score
Wow.. these are great suggestions. I'm bringing along a small boom-box cd player as well. Can anyone suggest any good camping music? I can make cd's but i'm not sure what I should put on them.

Rock-N-Roll, just doesn't seem to be good for the 'gread outdoors'. At least to me anyway.

:smile:

~Beth C

SaraJayne

Reaction score
John Denver makes good "camping music"!

Bring moist towlettes (for times when you can't find a bathroom)

Flip-flops for the shower (if there is one)

Plenty of plastic bags/garbage bags to keep things dry.

Bug spray and sunscreen (and aloe vera) are a must.

If you don't have a cot and are sleeping on the ground, bring an air mattress, foam mattress, or extra sleeping bag for your sleeping comfort.

If you don't have a sink nearby, put a bar of soap inside a nylon (a knee high or footie is best) to tie around a water faucet to use when washing your hands. That way it doesn't fall in the dirt or get lost.

If you are REALLY roughing it, bring empty milk jugs to fill up with water so you don't have to make lots of trips to the nearest water faucet.

Always have extra batteries.

Make sure to bring lawn chairs, first aid kit (neosporin, band-aids, asprin, etc.), and toys (cards and frisbees)

Also bring books, and cards and other stuff to do incase it rains.

Hope that helps.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
John Denver was my suggestion too! I always think of him in conjunction with camping. :cool:
Erin

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Have a great time! Dont get eaten by a bear! or a dingo for that matter! I doubt you'd have to worry about dingoes! lol

Beth C

Reaction score
Wow.. even more great suggestions. I don't think I'll have to worry about a bear or a dingo... and Yes, I am planning to be sleeping outside. (Why else would I be camping??)

I'm gonna have a campfire, and smores, and yes, John Denver music. (Gotta sing Grandma's Featherbed at least once!)

I think it's gonna be great. I'm probably going to like it so much, that I won't want to come back home. I'll be bringing a camera, so I'll have some pics to show off.

I love the great outdoors. Now it BETTER not rain.

~Beth C