1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Got a response from the Sesame Puppeteer Workshop...

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Brian Kendig, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Brian Kendig

Brian Kendig New Member

... and I was turned down. "Unfortunately, your performance technique is not quite right for the Sesame Street style of puppetry and we cannot offer you a slot in the puppeteer workshop." I figure the "technique is not quite right" part is just form-letter language for "we didn't pick you," but I'm still disappointed - my whole reason for wanting to go to the workshop was to polish my performance technique!

Has anyone else here gotten a reply yet, positive or negative? If they turned you down, did they tell you the same thing as they told me?

And now that our videos no longer have to be private, anyone want to share a link to the video you made?

2. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

Same letter here :(

3. Brian Kendig

Brian Kendig New Member

Well, please share your video! I'll share mine as soon as I have time to get the URL and make sure it's no longer private.

I see you have a video blog of your puppet! I like that and I'm looking forward to watching it!

4. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

Well right now not feeling too good about the whole thing but maybe later....I tried hard but I did feel my audition video was not the best I could have done.

5. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Well-Known Member

Same letter for me. Disappointed, but I knew it was a long shot. They had so many applicants, and there are so many people with more experience than I have. I was proud of my application video, though, and look forward to continuing to hone my technique. Here's to a future year!

6. crazy chris

crazy chris Well-Known Member

Would love to see your videos guys!! Sorry to hear the bad news!

cc

7. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Well-Known Member

(I'm keeping it as an "unlisted" video, but you can see it with this link)

Brian Kendig likes this.
  8. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Yeah, I got rejected too... same letter and everything. Oh well. I at least feel good that I took advantage of the opportunity.

MelissaY1 likes this.
  9. crazy chris

hahah i liked it!!

cc

AndyWan Kenobi likes this.
  10. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Got lé boot as well. I'm not really upset.

11. D'Snowth

I'm guessing by the amount of people receiving the same message on the same day that they probably just stopped looking through submissions at a certain point, and sent out a form letter to the remaining entrants; no doubt they had tons and tons of submissions to comb through, and they made it clear in the original information that there was limited space to attend... this would be like an entire city trying to attend a banquet that only seats 30 people.

My congrats to those who were selected to attend.

12. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

I didn't get the exact same thing you guys got, it seems (mine didn't say "technique is not quite right"). It did say my video was "enjoyable."

I'm assuming they went through all the videos, picked who the wanted and sent messages to the rest in one fowl swoop. I highly doubt they just stopped watching submissions and rejected them on zero grounds.

13. Brian Kendig

Brian Kendig New Member

And here's mine. My first time videorecording my work ... so, well, not my best, either. :)

14. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

Good advice from Terrence Burke (who's a member here on MC I believe)...

Terrence posted this on Facebook and I think this is very good advice for anyone who aspires to be a puppeteer. Especially joining Puppeteers of America. They are having regional festivals in every part of the United States this summer and fall. Attending is an amazing opportunity to meet and network with incredible puppeteers from all of the United States.

Another great opportunity is attending the O'Neil Puppetry Conference, which is held every summer.

15. D'Snowth

That's kind of what I've already done (except for joining POA, though it's been on my to-do list); I was suggested to send in a submission to attend the workshop because apparently some people think my puppetry is impressive, and this truly was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that couldn't have been overlooked. I still hold no ill feelings, I feel good I submitted something rather than passed on an opportunity that could have led to something great.

Buck-Beaver likes this.
  16. fpire

fpire New Member

Here was my submission. I didn't make it in, but it was fun to make.

17. crazy chris

LOLOLOL... Fpire...if i was judging...you would have made it!! That was great!! lolol

cc

18. D'Snowth

I'm seeing it all over Facebook now, I guess today was rejection day and then some. I can understand some people being disappointed, upset, and even hurt over this, but we must remember, even if there wasn't a call for submissions to attend a workshop, any chances of getting into Sesame, or even the Muppets are pretty slim anyway. Plus, they even said this wasn't an audition, nor were they guaranteeing employment on SST or any SW production... I saw someone commented on FB saying they've known people who have attended such workshops in the past, and were used maybe only once in a Muppet/Henson production, and never heard anything else ever again. There's a lot of ways we can look at this, but I still say, I'm happy for the lucky ones who were chosen to attend (I would have been thrilled just to get to meet Matt and Marty), and I have absolutely no negativity to being rejected. When one door closes, another door opens.

19. fpire

fpire New Member

Thanks for the kind words, crazy chris! ...

Now off to our own online show: http://LosTiteres.TV!

crazy chris likes this.
  20. Muppetlab

Muppetlab Well-Known Member

I got a rejection to. However i was so pleased to see SW openning this opportunity up to everyone. It was good to take part and and soo pleased for those of you that were succesfull. I know a few guys that have made it, James Kemp being one of them and he has promised to take lots of pics and document his experience so we can all look forward to that.

Ive learnt a lot and still enjoy what i do so havent let it put me off :)