1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Got a response from the Sesame Puppeteer Workshop...

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Brian Kendig, Jan 10, 2014.

1. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Well, I don't really have a whole lot to worry about in that department, both seasoned and aspiring puppeteers seem to think my skills are something to be impressed with, though I was just saying, that the audio quality of a lot of the entries in my series were rather poor, and that had been pointed out to me before, which is why is finally donned on me during the last few entries to just dub everything in post.
    I'm gonna be completely honest with ya... I don't even really know you all that well, so I don't even know how you're getting this information, or whom this "source" of yours is, but I am a little leery of this information, because it just doesn't make a lot of sense... why would they look for people to immitate already-existing characters when they said not to? And if they're really cautious now because of the issue with Kevin Clash, why would they have a workshop for that very reason? I'm sorry, whether you're being honest or not, I'm just having trouble believing this information you're sharing.

2. crazy chris

crazy chris Well-Known Member

I really never meant to ruffle any feathers here fellas....As i said before... i understand and respect your leeriness... the info sort of landed in my lap and i was as shocked and surprised as you...

Rest assured though...I am a professional puppeteer who owned my own successful puppet theater and i have been a trustworthy contributor to this board for many years... so take it for what u will...

cc

CoOKiE likes this.
  3. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

I also submitted a video and received a rejection email, but like you, I'm also genuinely ok with it. I really didn't expect to get chosen with so many people applying, the limited space, and the amount of people with more experience. I just wanted to at least try and see what happened.

4. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

My last post was poorly phrased. I wasn't taking a shot at your puppetry skills and I'm sorry if it was read that way. I was really making a more general comment about technical issues.

crazy chris likes this.
  5. CoOKiE

CoOKiE Member

I watched the videos posted and honestly i have to say you guys should be PROUD of yourselves. SERIOUSLY. You all have this love for this unique form of art and to some of you, took your first step in exposing this to the world. you don't need Sesame Street to put that artist title on you. You have it already. If you feel you don't, then keep practicing.

I once dreamed about being a Muppet performer myself. I was told to, "practice practice practice." I felt those were just the baby steps to something big. So, i did that. I kept practicing and felt it was time to do something with this. And i worked as a puppeteer for some big names. I still felt those were just baby steps. Secretly I had this idea of my own thing, but it was just that... an idea. But today I'm working on a series I created and using puppets i made, with a director I found through Muppet Central, and a cast of talented artist on a series you can find on YouTube, called Puppatics.

There is another member of the boards here i remember talking about his idea for a stage show, and hes doing it!!!

I'm sorry to see that some of you didn't make it into this workshop, but i urge you to stick with your dream. If you auditioned for Sesame Street, you MUST love what you're doing. But Sesame Street isn't the goal. Performing puppetry in ANY form is an amazing art and the advice i was given i want to pass down to you all.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

6. crazy chris

crazy chris Well-Known Member

AMEN!! Fine fine words sir!!

cc

Rymoore21 and CoOKiE like this.
  7. D'Snowth

I guess they must still be looking at some submissions, as a friend of mine (outside of the MC community, that is) just now got accepted for a slot in the workshop. *Shrug*

scooterfan360 likes this.
  8. kessto

kessto Member

Your friend was probably an alternate, and some one who was originally chosen, may not have been able to make it. good for your friend.

9. Brian Kendig

Brian Kendig New Member

Please share your videos! Especially those of you who got in, or got more than the "performance technique is not quite right" response! I'd really like to see what they wanted.

10. D'Snowth

Okay, correction on my previous post; my friend told me she had actually gotten the response from SST back in December, it was only until now that she had the freetime to publically annouce the news about it. Either way, really happy for her just the same!

Other than that, I know everybody keeps asking for us to share our submissions... ehh, there's really not much to see with mine. Basically, I just had Steve D'Monster retell George Costanza's whale story (word for word) in my repetoire of voices as well as a couple of my better impersonations (Paul Lynde and Leif Garrett, though some felt I should have done Christopher Walken too, and I didn't even know my Walken was that good), then had him sing a verse from "Rainbow Connection" (to show I can do both silly and poignant).

I actually invited them, only if they had the time to do so, to look through my YouTube channel to give them a better idea of what I'm capable of as a puppeteer, since I felt my submission really didn't convey that all that much. It may have been too much of a commercial for myself, and they may not have even looked at anything, but I offered.

Nevertheless, something else will happen in the future, probably. This is just another experience to reflect on.

11. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

i was rejected as well and i admit i wonder this too, i was in classes and one on one lessons with old sesame performers and ex muppeteers

Frankie cordero and Micheal Earl to name a few...not saying i deserved in because of who my contacts are just i was the letter was a little mor as to why exactly we didnt get picked instead of copy past responce

scooterfan360 and D'Snowth like this.
  12. D'Snowth

Ed May formed his own puppet company in Nashville, he had brought a show to the Bijou Theater in Knoxville way back in 2007 - a collection of Ananse stories:

I met up with him after the show, as well as another one of his senior puppeteers, Leon Fuller, and introduced both of them to Steve, and they both saw no flaws in my performance techniques whatsoever. In fact, they offered me a summer job for another show they were doing, though nothing ever came out of it. Likewise, the troupe Kids on the Block also expressed interest in hiring me, but I never heard from them again. These are partly the reason why I decided for start my own company (that and I started getting ideas for my own shows, and figured my own company would be logical).

scooterfan360 and CoOKiE like this.
  13. TheCreatureWork

TheCreatureWork Active Member

Does anyone know anyone from Canada who got into the workshop?

14. D'Snowth

The only ones I'm aware of that even got in are this James Kemp fellow, and my friend Brittany, other than that, everybody else I know of got the same rejection notice.

15. Animal31

Animal31 Active Member

James Kemp is a very talented builder and performer, there is a young man in the NJ area on his way there as well named Michael Verdi, very talented builder and performer and I wish them both well...

16. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

Jon little of littles creatures also got in

17. D'Snowth

I must confess, I'm surprised Ryan/Prawnie didn't get in. I wasn't aware he also sent in a submission, but they always say connections are one of the only ways you can make it in this business, and considering he runs the Mindset, he's certainly loaded with connections. Then again, that's really a generalization.

18. muppet88

muppet88 Member

19. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

Huh! At Dragon*Con 2012 Peter and a few other puppeteers did a one-hour panel on puppetry fot TV and film, and they did elements on this workshop there. I lucked out and got to be in the "Twinkle Twinkle" group with Janken, and got so flustered and dyslexic looking at the monitor that Peter's puppet whacked Janken over the head after the third flub.

Thanks for the link to the journal. It sounds like a wonderful experience.

20. D'Snowth

So some people who actually have worked for Henson before were selected? I guess some connections were involved after all.