Guy Smiley's First Appearance

billyk

Reaction score
What was the first skit that Guy Smiley was featured in?

I have a skit that looked very early that was called "What's My Part?" (a nose) where monsters were on the panel. I think it was from the 1970 premiere show, but I'm not positive. I forgot what the main show focused on. (Maybe shapes??)

Anyways, in the skit, Mr. Smiley looked more yellowish, and he had a red stripe to look like a tonuge in his mouth. His hair was not as frazzled and the actual puppet looked kinda ragged looking (like you can see the hand movements from the neck and mouth).

He just looked a little different.

Was there any appearances before this?

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
billyk said:
What was the first skit that Guy Smiley was featured in?

Was there any appearances before this?

Nope, you're correct.

GUY SMILEY'S first appearance was on the Season Premiere of 1970.

He did look different, and one of his contestants was the 1969-1971 greenish-blue Cookie Monster.

This was also one of Fran Brill's first performances too, as a greenish Anything monster.

billyk

Reaction score
The monster that's cross-eyed. The voice sounds like Little Bird. (ie. Fran Brill)

Censored

Reaction score
Interesting. I still say that there was a very early skit where Guy Smiley was introduced as "Sonny Friendly". When Sonny Friendly appeared on the 80's episodes, I recognized the name from way back in the early 70's. If ANYONE has further info on this, please jump in.

LabyrinthFan

Reaction score
There were two "What's My Part" skits, but I've only seen the "nose" one. Is there a chance that in the other one he is introduced as Sonny Friendly?

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, it is indeed Guy. Both of the "What's My Part?" skits are on the 1974 record "Play Along Songs". The record was later renamed to "Somebody Come and Play".

Censored

Reaction score
An early Guy Smiley as "Sonny Friendly" is out there somewhere and some day, I'll find someone who remembers it too. LOL

I do have to wonder if they wouldn't be tempted to dub over the name "Sonny Friendly" on reruns or records though.

billyk

Reaction score
"There were two "What's My Part" skits, but I've only seen the "nose" one. Is there a chance that in the other one he is introduced as Sonny Friendly?"

I remember that other one too. I think the panelists or one of them at least had the same name. The difference was they were Anything muppets as humans. BTW, the part was the foot because I remember him writing "Foot" on the chalkboard with his foot!

Splurge

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
Nope, you're correct.

This was also one of Fran Brill's first performances too, as a greenish Anything monster.
Arlene Frantic, that was. She and Bennett Snerf were represented as Anything Monsters in one skit and then as Anything Muppets in the other.

Ryan

Reaction score
The actual Guy Smiley puppet has been around since season one.

One of the skits he did in 1969 was a song about the seasons, which was very closely related to Jim Nabor's "Gone With The Wind" number on TMS.

One of the Hey, Cinderella! Stepsisters played the Southern Belle.