Guy Smiley's First Appearance

Splurge

Reaction score
Ryan said:
The actual Guy Smiley puppet has been around since season one.

One of the skits he did in 1969 was a song about the seasons, which was very closely related to Jim Nabor's "Gone With The Wind" number on TMS.

One of the Hey, Cinderella! Stepsisters played the Southern Belle.
The Guy Smiley shaped Muppet also appeared in a skit on Ed Sullivan. I call the skit: "The Story of Amanda", though others call it "An Ugly Romance." Anyway, the Muppet was called a heartthrob called Conrad Love, who had Guy Smiley's face, nose, chin, but with different eyes and hair and he wore a bowler hat. But more than the physical similarities were the characteristics of the way Henson operated him. I don't know when that skit aired on ES.

I think the Conrad Love character also appeared in the Sesame Street pitch tape, who pointed out: "Little kiddie can theoretically be any child up to the age of 12. We should aim this at the preschoolers."

Saginaw

Reaction score
Posted by billyk - 08-15-2003 at 07:10 AM
I remember that other one too. I think the panelists or one of them at least had the same name. The difference was they were Anything muppets as humans. BTW, the part was the foot because I remember him writing "Foot" on the chalkboard with his foot!

Yeah! I remember that one, too! That's one of the skits I'm looking for.

Believe it or not, I haven't seen this 'What's My Part?' since it aired back in the early '70s when I was in kindergarten. Was that really an actual foot, and wasn't it dressed up like a person or something like that? Also, weren't there other feet (like a 'family of feet') that mobbed Guy Smiley or one of the other Muppet panelists at the end of the game? I always thought it (and they) were Muppet-type feet.

If anyone has this on tape I sure would like to see it again! I wish I had Sesame Street 'gems' to trade with, but thanks to my local cable company.... :mad:

Thanks, y'all. :smile:

--Saginaw