Happy Birthday Jerry Nelson!

ploobis

Reaction score
HAPPY BIRTHDAY JERRY NELSON!

Thank you for being a big part of the Muppets and the Henson Company. I hope you have a great Birthday!

Thank you for giving us a number of Muppet characters over the years.

Floyd Pepper, Robin The Frog, Lew Zealand, Camilla The Chicken, Crazy Harry, Julius Strangepork, Uncle Deadly, J.P. Grosse, Pops, Louis Kazagger, Fleet Scribbler, Slim Wilson, Angus McGonagle, Jerry (Country Trio), Thog, Droop, Miss Mousey, T.R. The Rooster, Vendaface, Emily Bear, Count Von Count, Herry Monster, Herbert Birdsfoot, Sherlock Hemlock, Mr. Johnson, Farley, Frazzle, The Amazing Mumford, Biff, Little Jerry, Fred The Wonder Horse, Simon Soundman, Parker Monster, Sam The Robot, Lefty's Boss, Scred, Emmet Otter, Beard, Gobo Fraggle, Marjory The Trash Heap, Pa Gorg, Architect Doozer, Feenie Fraggle, Mad Monty, Blind Pew, Mama Fiama, Ubergonzo and many more.........

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY JERRY!" :sing: :batty: :smirk:

anytimepally

Reaction score
As some of you may know, Jerry Nelson has always been my favorite Muppet performer. No, he didn't perform my favorite muppet (Cookie Monster), not even my favorite Muppet Show muppet (Gonzo), but taken together, he performed my favorite collection of characters.

The maniacal obsessive exuberance of Count von Count, the inexplicable masochism and frustration of Mr. Johnson, the chasing-his-own-tail detective work of Sherlock Hemlock, the selfish hen-pecking mom to Johnny Fiama, the unintelligible genius of half of the Two-Headed Monster, the cute scruffiness of Herry Monster, the clueless certainty of Pa Gorg, the steady but odd wisdom of Marjory (who is my favorite Fraggle Rock character), the unsavory J.P. Grosse, the smooth hipness of Floyd Pepper, the rock’n’rollin’ Little Jerry (my favorite muppet musician), the can’t-get-a-word-in-edgewise talkativeness of Biff . . .

All these are Jerry.

I think of him, literally, as the voice of the Muppets.. he was nearly always the announcer, and I can’t even think of Sesame Street News without hearing him say he’s taking me to Kermit the Frog. He’s one half of my favorite muppet couple (Camilla) and my favorite vocalist as well (especially when he sings with Louise Gold). Robin’s in my avatar even.. I thought he did a phenomenal job inheriting Statler.. And let’s not forget the Scred was the best the Land of Gorch had to offer. Who among us didn’t want our own set of boomerang fish? But he was more than just these characters.. he also performed many of my favorite one-shot muppets. Muppets like Angus McGonagle, the Argyle Gargoyle, who gargles Gershwin gorgeously. And the Screaming Thing that sang “Windmills of Your Mind.” The Devil, who did two songs in the Alan Arkin episode . . . “You’re No Good” is one of my favorite Muppet Show musical numbers. He was both Cookie Monster’s sister and father.. he was maybe the best one-shot muppet ever, The Ghost of Christmas Present in The Muppet Christmas Carol (come in, and know him better, man!).. He was also the Mr. Snuffleupagus I remember best from my youth.. and I still get a fuzzy feeling when I hear him in Christmas Eve on Sesame Street every year.. And who didn’t love Featherstone? As, T.R. Rooster, he got to sing one of my all-time favorite Muppet songs, “The Cock-a-Doodle Blues”

For a kid who grew up wanting to be The Amazing Mumford, he is truly an inspiration!

Happy Birthday Jerry!
:search::batty::crazy:

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
*Hugs Randall. You said everything... And yet, there is much left to say. All I can do is wish a happy bat, erm birthday to a man who I too consider to be the Voice of the Muppets. As the Count von Count, he has become one of my favorite Muppeteers... And I marvel whenever his voice comes through on all the different characters he performed. Don't forget that his gothic influence extends to a certain dragonish creature known as the Phantom of the Muppet Theater, namely Uncle Deadly. Which is why they're both among my favorite characters. So, I truly hope Mr. Nelson can count the candles on his cake and blow them out, wishing for whatever he may want... Happy birthday Jerry!
:batty: :sing: :smirk:

Convincing John

Reaction score
I hope Jerry has a good birthday.
Me, too!

If he goes out to eat to celebrate his birthday, I hope he gets better service than Fat Blue!

Happy Birthday Mr. Nelson, and as Gobo once said: "Thanks...thanks for everything!":smirk:

Convincing John

Robin

Reaction score
Jerry,

It was nice of you to take the time to write to me back a couple years ago... That meant a lot... I wish you a year of happiness and good health...

Your Fan
Robin aka Eric:batty:

Robin

Reaction score
I've always thought of Jerry Nelson as the Phil Hartman of the Muppets... And Phil Hartman as being the Jerry Nelson of Saturday Night Live... Happy Birthday Sir! If any one doesn't agree with me we can meet "half way up the stairs"

Me again...

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Have a very happy birthday, Jerry! I must agree with everything Randal and Ed said. I'd also like to say thank you for inspiring so many people of all ages, and thank you for being so kind to us, the fans!
:batty:
:smirk:
:sing:

AnimatedC9000

Reaction score
Happy brithday, Mr. Nelson!

Thank you so much for all of the Muppets that you brought to life over the years: from Floyd Pepper to the Count to Gobo Fraggle to the Screaming Thing to Crazy Harry to Sherlock Hemlock and all of the other characters you have done.

Hope this year is a good one for you!

~ AnimatedC