Harry Potter and the order of the phoniex

Jennifer12

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
Even Snape looked good after her, especially by the end of the book...
Erin

Isn't Snape one of the most interesting characters, though? (Major kudos to whoever made the choice to cast Alan Rickman in that role in the movies!) Here's a man who's thoroughly unpleasant. The guy holds a grudge so long that it extends to the offspring of the guy he hates! The grudge traverses an entire generation of Potters, yet he always does the right thing. Like in the first book when he was protecting Harry and the kids thought he was trying to hurt him during the Quidditch game. He might dislike Harry immensely but he won't let him get hurt. And I'm not giving away anything to readers not through with Phoenix to say that Dumbledore trusts him. It would be hard to believe that Dumbledore could misplace his trust.

Of course, there could be a major plot twist and I could be way off. I'd love to see a showdown between Snape and Lucius Malfoy.

I'm dying to talk about the book but I don't want to give anything away, so if anyone wants to email me off this board, I'm jenniferbk@sbcglobal.net

Jennifer (who has developed a strange crush on Lucius Malfoy after Jason Isaacs portrayal in HP: Chamber of Secrets)

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Jennifer12 said:
Isn't Snape one of the most interesting characters, though? (Major kudos to whoever made the choice to cast Alan Rickman in that role in the movies!) Here's a man who's thoroughly unpleasant. The guy holds a grudge so long that it extends to the offspring of the guy he hates! The grudge traverses an entire generation of Potters, yet he always does the right thing. Like in the first book when he was protecting Harry and the kids thought he was trying to hurt him during the Quidditch game. He might dislike Harry immensely but he won't let him get hurt. And I'm not giving away anything to readers not through with Phoenix to say that Dumbledore trusts him. It would be hard to believe that Dumbledore could misplace his trust.
Snape is definitely a very interesting character, and Alan Rickman does such a perfect job of portraying him. He seems to be either a wolf in sheep's clothing or a sheep in wolf's clothing, and we probably won't really know which one until the end of the series. Certainly I would say he is one of the most complex characters in the series.
Erin

electricmayhem

Reaction score
I was also very intrigued by Snape in this book. Even if he does hate Harry, I trust Dumbledore's judgment. And there were a couple parts in this book where I even liked Snape! (ie. when Harry gives him the encoded message). And Alan Rickman does a fantastic job with him in the movies as well.

And did anyone else just love McGonagal in this one? I always liked her but I just loved her character in this book. :smile: I wish I could say more too, I'll send you an email Jennifer if you still want to talk about it!

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
electricmayhem said:
And did anyone else just love McGonagal in this one? I always liked her but I just loved her character in this book. :smile:
McGonogall is awesome! She completely reminds me of a teacher that I had from 5th to 8th grade. Super strict but really good-hearted at the same time, and with a couple surprises up her sleeve.
Erin

puppets_etc

Reaction score
My 13 year old daughter zipped through the Goblet of Fire so she could read Order of the Phoenix when I got done. I love to see my girls read. (Instead of listening to some of their mindless music-which by the way some I listen to too :embarrassed: , talking on the phone or watching the boob tube)

Deb :flirt:

electricmayhem

Reaction score
Don'tLiveonMoon said:
McGonogall is awesome! She completely reminds me of a teacher that I had from 5th to 8th grade. Super strict but really good-hearted at the same time, and with a couple surprises up her sleeve.
Erin

I just loved it the way she (and the other teachers) acted towards Dolores. It just made me laugh everytime! :big_grin:

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
Uh... this post may contain spoilers? *Shrugs*

Must say, best one I've read so far.
I love Gred and Forge. I mean Fred and George. I'd marry them, but I'd never be able to decide which one I want.
I also love McGonagal- but, uh, not like in the way I F&G.
And I luv Sirius and Remus and Severus and Moody and Tonks and Luna and I like Neville so much better in this one.
I got it last Saturday and finished it on... Tuesday morning. Now I wanna read it again.
I hate Umbridge. With a passion.
*Sniff* I wanna go to Hogwarts! BTW, has anyone read the parody Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody? It's hillarious. (Knowing my luck, someone already mentioned this)
And I cried at the death scene, and I have never cried while reading a book.

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
HeraLirambar said:
I love Gred and Forge. I mean Fred and George. I'd marry them, but I'd never be able to decide which one I want.
I know, you can't have one without the other! Fred and George are soooo adorable. :flirt: They remind me of my favorite class clown in high school, times two. They've been majorly getting the short end of the stick in the movies, and it would be nice if that changed. But in the books, their role just keeps getting bigger and bigger! I hope that they don't disappear in the next book just because they're not at Hogwart's anymore.
Erin

electricmayhem

Reaction score
HeraLirambar said:
And I luv Sirius and Remus
Two of my very favorites ever!

HeraLirambar said:
*Sniff* I wanna go to Hogwarts!
Me too! Ever since I started reading them and I realized that even if it was real I was already older than 11, I've been jealous of Harry and co. :big_grin: :wink:

wockawocka

Reaction score
I have a question...

Does Ron like Hermione, or Hermione like Ron? I've heard this places and read interviews about it. Also, it seems it might be true with the awkward moment between Ron and Hermione at the end of the second movie.

Although, J. K. Rowling has never said anything of the sort in any of the books... I don't think, so I was just hoping someone could straighten this out for me.