1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

HBO is editing modern Sesame Street episodes

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by antsamthompson9, Aug 21, 2016.

1. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Since I'm the kinda guy who likes to keep track of things, here's all the modern Sesame episodes that were edited when aired on HBO: 4213, 4214, 4215, 4217, 4219, 4222, 4223, 4224, 4225, 4226, 4229, 4234, 4237, 4257, 4266, 4267, 4268, 4269, 4272, 4278, 4279, 4280, 4282, 4305, 4309, 4313, 4314, 4317, 4319, 4322, 4325, 4403, 4407, 4409, 4410, 4411, 4417, 4419, 4505, 4506, 4514, 4516 and 4520.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  2. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

It seems most of the edits are replacing or removing Joe Raposo-composed pieces. Must be some sort of rights issue or something with his estate. They can still use the theme, oddly.

3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

That's very painful to hear. No wonder the theme wasn't on the last Old School DVD.

4. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

So i'm guessing the segments that were cut were part of Elmo's World right? Because other than that I can't think of very many instances where Joe Raposo songs were used in recent episodes.

5. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

Well that explains the cut theme on Old School volume 3 but, now I'm worried if other songs from Joe Raposo will be not be heard.

6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I've looked at the guides on Muppet Wiki, the ones that note what's been cut, and it seems like they've also been cutting a lot of segments that teach Spanish. The Spanish Word of the Day tends to be cut from episodes that had it, I also recall seeing that one episode that focused on teaching Spanish in the main plot otherwise replaced pretty much every segment that taught the language. And I've noticed three or four instances where segments with Harvey Kneeslapper got replaced (it doesn't seem like other old school characters have been cut).

7. MuppetSpot

It's weird that they're removing Harvey Kneeslapper? I can't up with any ideas unless HBO doesn't want any controversial characters like Harvey or Don Music?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  8. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm just waiting for the day all the older episodes are replaced by a blurry still of a generic Anything Muppet over the sound of nothing for 50 minutes because they can't even get the rights to their own characters and actors.

I understand that rights issues were written by madmen who had no foresight of footage being recorded for posterity and then sold, and I understand they're now controlled by greedy rights holders and estates... but the fact SW can't even buy the rights to their own music written for them even with Warner Bros and HBO's help is extremely disgusting. You'd think if Raposo has an estate, they'd know how full well his songs were important to Sesame Street.

9. MelissaY1

MelissaY1 Well-Known Member

Ugh, this is disappointing to hear!

10. minor muppetz

I think some Joe Raposo tunes were still on the set. I'm pretty sure he did "Everybody Run" and "What's It Like to Be in School" (it's clearly his voice on the songs, at least), and I think he wrote "Disco Frog".

11. antsamthompson9

It doesn't just have to do with Raposo songs, certain Abby's Flying Fairy School episodes haven't been shown on HBO either.

12. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

So I guess this may have more to do with the HBO/Sesame Workshop deal than it does Sesame Workshop and Joe Raposo.

13. MuppetSpot

This is weird, but maybe the deal with HBO had some weird agreements with Sesame Workshop.

14. zucca

zucca New Member

Also some Crumby Pictures have been replaced

15. antsamthompson9

Only one very specific one: Cookies of the Caribbean, possibly because of the use of One of These Things.

16. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

I cannot believe that they're willing to cut down on the OLD SCHOOL SHOWS!!

Honestly, somethings shouldn't be tampered with. Showtime runnings or not.

Some kids could benefit seeing the OLD SCHOOL Sesame in its full non-tampered form.

heralde and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  17. minor muppetz

It's weird, I don't think anything had to be replaced on Noggin due to rights (but I guess if there were any copyright issues, they could just include them among the edits for time).

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  18. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

If that were the case, then no television series prior to the late 2000s would be edited for reruns at all, because in the olden days, a half hour show without commercials ranged from 24 to 26 minutes - today's broadcast standards have half hour shows without commercials range from 17 to 21 minutes. Nowadays, what they don't cut, they speed up.

19. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

20. MuppetSpot

Why did you post this here are you annoyed at HBO editing SST episodes or were you try to some humor here in this thread?