Help for movie theatre display

NewfieFraggle

Reaction score
Goodday, I'm new to the forum. I came here for some assistance in a project I'm starting work on for the local movie theatre I work at. I had actually started last year, however I got busy and had to shelf the project.

Anyhow,when I heard that Fraggle Rock was going to be coming out in the next few years as a movie, I wanted to get on the ball and start work on building a lobby display for the theatre. And because I'm such a stickler for detail, I want to make this as accurate as possible. What I'm looking for are detailed patterns of the Fraggle Five. I had been going by what I could based off what I was seeing on the show but it's been hard getting things to scale and also the dimensions.

The fact I would like to make them as actual muppets, using all the materials such as the Fleece and Foam, I knew it would get abit costly. So 'm going to try and make them as stuffed plushies with wire skeletons to pose them instead so they're not really going to be working muppets.

I have purchased the fleece which I plan to dye and the ostrich feathers. I know of someone (that I saw in a website somewhere online) had purchased or gotten the Boober template from someone and managed to make a pretty good likeness. However that was last year I saw that and I can't find it now. So I know they have to be able to be gotten from somewhere.. Probably costly.. But if that's what it takes, I really hope someone would be willing to share any information the have so I might be able to speak to someone about this. I can be emailed at

corypender@hotmail.com.

Thank you. :smirk:

NewfieFraggle

Reaction score
I found a pic of the Fragles being made in the Creature shop. Its at http://www.flickr.com/photos/11686099@N03/1436844757/. I Hope this helps.
Thanks, I saw this picture before and have tried referencing that for scale as a matter of fact. Though it gave me little to go by at the same time. Still trying to look for a pattern though. I know they would be hard to come by or someone would of posted it like they do the Kermit ones. If the beanies were big enough and were more accurate to the real thing I would of dissected them. I know this is probably a big thing to ask for, considering I'm sure, everyone would love to get their hands on it. If I don't find it, I guess I will have to try and make it on my own. I'm just scared of ruining the the fleece if I screw up. Only got one shot at it.

NewfieFraggle

Reaction score
Get the Glorified Sock Puppet at Project Puppet - Boober can be made with that Pattern

Cool.. Really? It's that simular? Sweet. That'd be a good start I suppose. :smile: As long as there's a pattern to go by I'll be very happy.. I got some of that Antron Fleece and I'd hate to spoil it, trying to guess what the dissected puppet would look like. Speaking of fleece.. How much fleece does a puppet or Fraggle usually use? I can't remember off hand, because I bought it last year. I'm not sure if I bought 3 yards or just 1..

Kevin the Frog

Reaction score
andrew or nate on theses boards could help you out making them possibly, they have a similar style to the fraggles and have made characters that looked like them.

Blink

Reaction score
andrew or nate on theses boards could help you out making them possibly, they have a similar style to the fraggles and have made characters that looked like them.
Yes indeed there are many on these forums who have a Muppet inspired style and who have built similar puppets, but I think you will have difficulty finding people who will actually make them for you (as per copyright discussions). But many on these boards have individuals with the experience and help to offer ideas.

NewfieFraggle,

I think the Project Puppet idea for Boober is a great one. The problem is I think the idea of making all five Fraggles (although a wonderful one) is a bit ambitous for anyone just new to building. The other problems may occur with using Fraggles in any display without copyright permission (oh no I open up that can or worms).

But I would like to offer encouragement rather than not, so I would say that looking at those pictures of the Fraggles head shapes should offer insight into what type of shape head to do. The truth is that you will not be able to legally purchase actual professional patterns of the Fraggles (except perhaps for some licensed patterns off of Ebay that we legally made for the old stuffed plush Fraggles years ago; I think, but I may be wrong).

I believe that making them by figuring it out on your own, is the process that most people on this forum have done. There is a wealth of information here and I know that you can use it to build what you need.

I hope that I didn't discourage your passion, that was not my intention. But rather I wanted you to have some more information and let you know that many people are here to offer advice.

Best of luck.

NewfieFraggle

Reaction score
Yes indeed there are many on these forums who have a Muppet inspired style and who have built similar puppets, but I think you will have difficulty finding people who will actually make them for you (as per copyright discussions). But many on these boards have individuals with the experience and help to offer ideas.

NewfieFraggle,

I think the Project Puppet idea for Boober is a great one. The problem is I think the idea of making all five Fraggles (although a wonderful one) is a bit ambitous for anyone just new to building. The other problems may occur with using Fraggles in any display without copyright permission (oh no I open up that can or worms).
Actually, this is for the promotion for the opening of the movie at the theatre if it actually does open. The movie distributors (Warner Bros, Dream Works) themselves even put off contests sometimes for whomever builds the best display. I don't know if the Henson Company will be doing the same, but if they're going to be working with Warner Bros, or Paramount, it might be possible their marketing department may send out a booklet offering one. . Right now we're trying to comeup with a building project for The Bee Movie.. I've done other projects before in the past for Ice Age, Harry Potter and such. The idea is to attract more customers to come to the theatre so they will see the movie. I'm very aware of copyright laws and such and take them just as seriously.. The projects are usually destroyed shortly after, or put up on auction for charity with permission of the distributors once the movie leaves.

It just would be nice to have a pattern to go by yes to make things go faster. I know it is alot to ask too, to ask for something like that..

:smile: