Help Identifying Characters from Muppet Show

naedesu

Reaction score
So, with your help, here's what we have so far:

from top to bottom, left to right...
bold are confirmed names (parenthesis are still unknown or unconfirmed)

• Row 1 (top): Scooter, Lew Zealand, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Penguin (name?), Wayne, James Bobin Muppet, Snouth, Mahna Mahna, Snouth, Droop, Chicken (name?)
  • Row 2: Penguin (name?), Dr. Julius Strangepork, Swedish Chef, Sam the Eagle, Crazy Harry, Beauregard, J.G Frackle, Bobby Benson, Captain Link Hogthrob, Beaker, Marvin Suggs, Penguin (name?)
  • Row 3: (brunette whatnot girl in blue outfit?), Chicken (name?), The Newsman, Dr. Teeth, Miss Piggy, Kermit the Frog, Fozzie Bear, (Female whatnot ?), (Female brunette whatnot in pink dress w/purple nose?), Chicken (name?)
  • Row 4 (bottom): Afghan Hound, Sheep (name ?), Wanda, (drummer of Geri and the Atrics...name?), (orange-skinned, blonde female whatnot with orange nose, wearing yellow and green, polka dotted dress?), (looks like a small, light blue bird. possibly Ohboy Bird but doesn't look like him?), (blue humanoid with glasses and grayish hair?), Chicken (Camilla?)

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Row 4 (bottom): Afghan Hound, Sheep (name ?), Wanda, (drummer of Geri and the Atrics...name?), (orange-skinned, blonde female whatnot with orange nose, wearing yellow and green, polka dotted dress?), (looks like a small, light blue bird. possibly Ohboy Bird but doesn't look like him?), (blue humanoid with glasses and grayish hair?), Chicken (Camilla?)
The Geri and the Atrics drummer's name is Ida Thornbush, as revealed on The Muppets Take Over Today. The small, light blue bird is not Ohboy Bird.

Here's Ohboy Bird.

I know that one of the light blue birds that appeared in the "Rockin' Robin" musical number in the Jean-Pierre Rampal episode was The Early Bird that appeared in "Breakfast Isn't Just for Breakfast Anymore" of The Muppets Kitchen with Cat Cora.

So, I believe that The Early Bird was used in the Telethon opening.

naedesu

Reaction score
The Geri and the Atrics drummer's name is Ida Thornbush, as revealed on The Muppets Take Over Today.
That's right!

The small, light blue bird is not Ohboy Bird.

Here's Ohboy Bird.
Exactly! He was just the first blue bird that came to mind, but I knew it couldn't be him!

I know that one of the light blue birds that appeared in the "Rockin' Robin" musical number in the Jean-Pierre Rampal episode was The Early Bird that appeared in "Breakfast Isn't Just for Breakfast Anymore" of The Muppets Kitchen with Cat Cora.

So, I believe that The Early Bird was used in the Telethon opening.
Hrmm... Early Bird seems very likely! Here's another angle of the arches. Looks like him!

naedesu

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's help, especially you FrackleFan2012!

I'd still love to identify some of the remaining whatnots. (Even if I can't place their names, it would be great to find out when/where else they've made appearances...though I suppose that would also reveal their name.)

Here's where we've landed thus far:

• Row 1 (top): Scooter, Lew Zealand, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew, Penguin, Wayne, James Bobin Muppet, Snouth, Mahna Mahna, Snouth, Droop, Chicken
  • Row 2: Penguin, Dr. Julius Strangepork, Swedish Chef, Sam the Eagle, Crazy Harry, Beauregard, J.G Frackle, Bobby Benson, Captain Link Hogthrob, Beaker, Marvin Suggs, Penguin
  • Row 3: (brunette whatnot girl in blue outfit?), Chicken, The Newsman, Dr. Teeth, Miss Piggy, Kermit the Frog, Fozzie Bear, (Female brunette whatnot in pink dress w/purple nose?), Chicken
  • Row 4 (bottom): Afghan Hound, Sheep, Wanda, Ida Thornbush, (orange-skinned, blonde female whatnot with orange nose, wearing yellow and green, polka dotted dress?), The Early Bird, (blue humanoid with glasses and grayish hair?), Chicken (Camilla?)

Hubert

Reaction score
Wanted to note a few things...

You have the name of the Snowth spelled wrong in your posts. It's Snowth instead of Snouth.

On Ida Thornbush...I'm not sure if I would use that name necessarily. That is the same puppet, BUT other characters on the Today episode's names don't entirely match the TMS characters (see Gramps from the jugband). It's up to you, but personally I wouldn't go with the name of Ida Thornbush but rather just consider her as the Geri and the Atrics drummer.

Not every whatnot has a name, as most of those do not. So for the ones you haven't concerned, you're simply going to have to acknowledge them as a generic background whatnot.

For the chicken that you say might be Camilla...chickens are generally unidentifiable. This chicken does have the dress to be in the "Forget You" number, yet Camilla wasn't the only chicken in that number. So I would label her as a plain old chicken just to be safe, as that may or may not be Camilla.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Was going to point out what Hubert said, he saved me the trouble.

Also, if Link's not in his Pigs In Space uniform, then his name is simply "Link Hogthrob".

There are names for the various Muppet chickens, such as Bernice from the Palisades figures or Flo from the Muppet Show album, you might find something to that effect on Muppet Wiki (or not).

The Sheep, if male, could be Baab the Sheep.

I've kind of labeled the orange female whatnot in the bottom row as "Ernie Girl", as she reminds me of that character from Sex & Violence (based on partial descripts), though she should have a name even though she's an unnamed Whatnot. Also, I've labeled the second unnamed female Whatnot in the third row between Fozzie and the brunette in the pink dress—the one with big lips—as an "Angelina Joli Muppet" though she should also have a proper name. Then again, the original chorines from the Muppet Show opening don't have names from any recognized production, unless you apply the names given them in fanfiction found here on the forum such as the magnum novel Kermie's Girl, but the ladies from the arches in the telethon have yet to be truly named.

Any more than that I can't really help with due to my blind batty eyes. But it seems like you've gotten this arches display almost entirely solved, good luck with your project.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
The Sheep, if male, could be Baab the Sheep.
Actually, the sheep is not Baab the Sheep.

This is Baab.

Baab has beady, Emmet Otter-type eyes and a white face while the other sheep from the Telethon opening has half-closed traditional-Muppet eyes and a gray face. See the difference?

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Er no, I rully don't. *Points at "blind batty eyes" comment, I really am visually handicapped.
If the sheep from the telethon had horns, then maybe it could be Norman the Ram? No, maybe just one of the lost little lambs from the Whiffenpoof Song or from the Shepherd's flock who sang Rama-Lama.

FrackleFan2012

Reaction score
Er no, I rully don't. *Points at "blind batty eyes" comment, I really am visually handicapped.
If the sheep from the telethon had horns, then maybe it could be Norman the Ram? No, maybe just one of the lost little lambs from the Whiffenpoof Song or from the Shepherd's flock who sang Rama-Lama.
It's not Norman. It's one of the lost little lambs from the Whiffenpoof Song. The sheep has white fur, half-closed eyes, and a gray face.