Henson Channel?

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I'm probably in the minority on this, but I don't think a 100% Henson channel would work at all simply because there isn't enough stuff the Hensons have to sustain a 24/7 network (e.g. a lot of shows have only 13-24 episodes, which would result in A LOT of re-runs). The network would have to have quite a number of non-Henson programs to help it.

Sorry for being the downer... :grouchy:

muppet baby

Reaction score
From the Muppet Wiki:

In 1999, the Jim Henson Company had partial interests in two cable channels, The Kermit Channel (which was broadcast in Asia) and The Odyssey Channel (which was broadcast in the USA). Hallmark also co-owned these networks. The Odyssey Channel was later renamed the Hallmark Channel.

Both channels are gone now and it would take quite a resurgence of interest in all things Henson for any company to consider such an option. That said, I would like to see it very much! :smile:
I miss the hallmark channel being the Odyssey channel, i really wish that it was still like that , i mean i really loved seeing Kermit and miss piggy and the rest of the Muppet's , during the comer cal breaks .

I loved the Muppet's , those where so neat . wish i tunes would get those .

Does anyone miss hallmark being the Odyssey channel .

RedPiggy

Reaction score
BobThePizzaBoy said:
I'm probably in the minority on this, but I don't think a 100% Henson channel would work at all simply because there isn't enough stuff the Hensons have to sustain a 24/7 network (e.g. a lot of shows have only 13-24 episodes, which would result in A LOT of re-runs). The network would have to have quite a number of non-Henson programs to help it.

Yeah ... but I could also see the channel do special runs of other puppetry or something projects. I can see Henson using it as a launching pad for new things.

Which, I guess, is what you just said.

That and I could watch Farscape. :smile:

WAYMOND

Reaction score
I think there would be enough Henson material to make a 24/7 channel. I would also add the old muppet ad commercials as part of their commercial breaks! It would keep people glued to the TV!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Honestly, I think such an idea might be better suited to the Web at this point. That way, people wouldn't have to miss shows while going to the supermarket, hehe.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I think such an idea might be better suited to the Web at this point. That way, people wouldn't have to miss shows while going to the supermarket, hehe.
I have long felt that Henson.com isn't all it could be. I would enjoy seeing it turn into a media-based site that released new and old media to be viewed on a regular basis like a Henson Hulu. Maybe they could even produce some short sketches for the site like Muppets.com does, but with Henson-owned puppets. :embarrassed:

bazooka_beak

Reaction score

That's why I mentioned a "Muppet Block," but I have no idea what channel you could put it on (Disney would never sacrifice their 300 slots reserved for Hannah Montana or Suite Life, and I doubt they'd fit the mold at Disney XD. Hmmm...).

I do really like the 24/7 website as suggested, though :smile:

Son of Enik

Reaction score
This idea would work I think. In addition to the shows already mentioned, you could also show all of the great specials featuring both TMS and SS characters, Muppets Tonight, The Jim Henson Hour, The Storyteller etc. Another great addition would be Sam & Friends along with the old commercials for Wlikins' Coffee and LaChoy products as well as any other commercials I may have forgotten about. So, yes I think a Henson Channel would be awesome!

CrazyHarryFan

Reaction score
You know what would be great even thought it wouldn't happen. If they could have guest VJ's, like DJ's but for the shows. And it could be fans.

Fans could choose the shows, and tell about why they loved them. You could get whole families involved from all over the world.

It would be cheap, and free for the studios. I know I would do it for free! haha

I'd MUCH rather see that than just about anything else I can think of. Too bad they don't have a Henson channel. It really is brilliant!

--Chuck

From the Muppet Wiki:

In 1999, the Jim Henson Company had partial interests in two cable channels, The Kermit Channel (which was broadcast in Asia) and The Odyssey Channel (which was broadcast in the USA). Hallmark also co-owned these networks. The Odyssey Channel was later renamed the Hallmark Channel.

Both channels are gone now and it would take quite a resurgence of interest in all things Henson for any company to consider such an option. That said, I would like to see it very much! :smile:

WAYMOND

Reaction score
I think a web site that streams Henson programs would be a good alternative to the TV Channel. More people watch show online now than ever. This would also allow people to choose which episodes to watch and pause them if they go off line.