Henson closes NY office

muppet_dk

Reaction score
I really hope it turns out to be nothing more than evil rumors.
As the others say there's just to much history in that building.
Of course it would be cheaper to have the company in one place, but I hope that they would think about it one more time before they do anything.

If they close the NY office then the idea by turning it into a landmark, sounds like a great idea.

Beebers

Reaction score
If true, this is terrible news.

There would be our Hensonian Museum. There are massive grants and funding mechanisms for that sort of thing - it could, and should, absolutely be turned into a museum without the family having to spend money on it. And, they can start their own trust which could help fund it as well.

But, let's hope it doesn't come to that. This is awful news. Where's our Phil Chapman to confirm or deny?? :cry: :cry: :cry:

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Cory,

I think the only reason it isnt hitting you as hard as others is because your excited that The whole Henson company are moving to your neighbourhood.

:embarrassed:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Man, will we ever hear good news from the folks at JHC?

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Warrick said:
I think the only reason it isnt hitting you as hard as others is because your excited that The whole Henson company are moving to your neighbourhood.
Well, Henson's been based in LA since '90/91. Jim was moving his HQ to LA during the Disney deal anyway, but I know what you mean.

But man, Henson closing the NY townhouse is like Disney closing its whole Burbank lot. It's just gotta be like a museum or a HQ for the JH Legacy or Foundation or something. There's just too much history there. They've had it since '77! I know it isn't a production studio, but the place is special nonetheless.

Wow, I haven't been this mad at Henson since, well, when they sold to EM.TV! It's truly sad...if it's true.

beaker

Reaction score
Warrick said:

:embarrassed:
Most of the Muppeteers seem to live and work on the West Coast it would seem(not Sesame/etc performers) Also, for over a decade they've been operating in Hollywood as someone pointed out. I remember Luke pointed out this possible scenario over a year ago. It's a symbolic loss, but perhaps the beginning of a new era? I'm just trying to put a happy thought on this solem occation.
They've shut down the puppet building workshops, and done some cutbacks...tho this wasnt a total shock to me. What matters to me is that JHC finally owns JHC again...and sure, were back to 1999 minus Sesame Street, I'm hoping some good can come of this consolidation.

Now here's a question...is it true they've been cutting off or downsizing the UK JHC related things?(either offices, or CS?)

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Cory,

They stopped the Television Production part of Henson's in the UK. Which wasnt producing anything anyway... And while it wasnt producing stuff it was just used as the Creature Shop. So basically nothing happened.

Beebers

Reaction score
I'm reluctant to say this at all, but these sorts of closures and cutbacks are always financial streamlining, normally due to fiduciary distress. There tends inevitably to be a heartless feeling to it. I've always viewed JHC as having a New York City heart and inspiration. Everything grew from there, and, it seems, should continue to do so.
Word on the reliable street is that it's absolute chaos within the company, financially and personnel-wise, at the moment.
Some confirmation re:NYC would be nice.

Luke

Reaction score
Warrick said:
So basically nothing happened.
Nothing visually happened, majority of the management were made redundant and most of their creative work (shows and ideas) were in jepoardy of being dumped. Obviously they all went freelance or formed their own offshoot companies though and it could still work out so um yeah .... nothing happened.

Chilly Down

Reaction score
This is just devastating.

I don't think Henson is a Heartless Corporation for doing this. They need to do what they need to do to remain financially stable. And there's more work for them in LA than anywhere else. And after all, we make the same choices in our own lives--who lives in the same house their whole entire life?

All the same, I'm sure this was a hard decision for the Hensons, and it's hard for us as well. Like everyone else, I wanted to see the inside someday, and take a look at that beautiful mural, that marvelous wall-sized SS photo, and the stained-glass window. (And hey, if there were any actual Muppets around, I wouldn't mind that either!)

*sigh* Oh, well. I don't know how much, if any, of that building can be preserved. But some small part of me hopes this isn't as bad as it sounds.

"Saying Goodbye" is playing on MC Radio right now...how appropriate.

:cry: :boo: :eek: