Henson closes NY office

Beebers

Reaction score
No, you misunderstand, my friend. I'm not saying JHC is heartless, only that it can FEEL that way from the outside, when we lose things we love. I should have been clearer.

I've never had a chance to go there and see the NYC setup either and have always wanted to. If this is all true then some efforts should be made to preserve the place for people to visit. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Oh, I didn't mean to aim this directly at you, Beebers. In fact, I wasn't trying to aim it at anyone. There was just kind of a general mood among all the posts that suggested some disgust with Henson for doing this. And I feel just as sad--I was just trying to remind everyone of the harsh realities that Henson has to deal with.

In fact, reportedly, for years Henson wouldn't fire anyone or close any building simply for sentimental reasons, and ironically, that led to a lot of their financial troubles.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Good points, but 'til now I've always had the "business is business" attitude and Henson must have its reasons (even with the stupid EM.TV deal), but my God, the NY office has become a casualty. And Henson does not even have the courtesy to issue a statement or press release or, come to think of it, confirm or deny if this is even TRUE! We haven't even seen a single article about it yet! Maybe someone can call the NY office on Monday and ask questions...then call the LA HQ and yell obscenities at whoever picks up!

BTW, is the Muppet Workshop still in New York? And where is it located? I know it was mentioned somewhere in this thread, but will they still make the SS Muppets AND the regular Muppets?

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
If all this is true, the NY workshop will disappear, since when they downsized a while ago they moved it back into the Henson townhouse basement, where it was located during The Muppet Show. As for where they build the Sesame Street characters, I believe that's a totally separate workshop, since Henson does not own the SS character rights anymore.

Beebers

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
Good points, but 'til now I've always had the "business is business" attitude and Henson must have its reasons (even with the stupid EM.TV deal), but my God, the NY office has become a casualty. And Henson does not even have the courtesy to issue a statement or press release or, come to think of it, confirm or deny if this is even TRUE! We haven't even seen a single article about it yet! Maybe someone can call the NY office on Monday and ask questions...then call the LA HQ and yell obscenities at whoever picks up!

BTW, is the Muppet Workshop still in New York? And where is it located? I know it was mentioned somewhere in this thread, but will they still make the SS Muppets AND the regular Muppets?

Re: Chilly's reference to harsh realities, I think we all understand these things, if one reads other posts both in this thread and others on MC.

But I don't think the importance of this possible closing should be diminished. As has also been mentioned, if it's true, then efforts should be underway immediately by the NYC powers-that-be to get it established as a museum. There are endless monies available for that and there'd be no excuse not to do it, I don't care how strapped they are. If they don't, they are remiss.

Know that the business world and business magazines are all keeping a close eye on Henson. The general thought is that if they don't pull it together very shortly with good writing and good business management Henson as we knew/know it will no longer exist.

Why has no one connected to MC confirmed or denied? We may have all carts before the horse.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Right...here's what Henson.com said when I asked them (and maybe others did it too):

Thanks for your interest in The Jim Henson Company.
During this time of transition public information can often be confusing, so we avoid responding to speculation and rumors about our company or its productions. Information, when confirmed and can be made public, will be released to the press and posted on our web site www.henson.com.

Regards . . . The Jim Henson Company

So I guess I can hold out a little hope that this IS just a rumor that was picked up on the street. I'll still call on Monday though.

Beebers

Reaction score
Good luck with your mission. And let us know. Because, besides the general upset over this, has anyone noticed the irritations bubbling 'round just below the surface between left and right (west and east coasts) over this news? The lefties being noticeably less unhappy? A timely answer will be helpful. :cool:

Luke

Reaction score
Beebers said:
As has also been mentioned, if it's true, then efforts should be underway immediately by the NYC powers-that-be to get it established as a museum. There are endless monies available for that and there'd be no excuse not to do it, I don't care how strapped they are.
Actually some companies don't like doing that, there is usually some money available but the owners usually end up getting less than full price for the real estate. Not saying what Henson will or won't do.

As to whether this is true or not, I heard who the source for this was and they are closely Henson/Sesame related and usually very good.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I'm sure we'll find out if it's true or not soon enough.

Karen just posted and it sounded like she wasn't even sure about info like this. Then again, most performers have said they find things out here first, like what their next project is etc.

Treelo

Reaction score
FISH'N'WOLFE said:
As for where they build the Sesame Street characters, I believe that's a totally separate workshop, since Henson does not own the SS character rights anymore.
Actually, no. Henson still builds the Sesame Street Muppets. All non-Sesame characters and materials were sent to LA during the move from the workshop.

The word is that if/when 117 is actually sold, a small space in New York will be used to work on the Sesame Street Muppets during production.

Things could change, but right now the word within the company is that 117 may be going up for sale as early as this winter.