Henson closes NY office

Mark Filton

Reaction score
Yes, Henson has to reducxe costs, which is like saying "they are weak," because EVERY business has to reduce costs because the opposite is to say "Let's INCREASE costs," which is lunacy for all business.

The argument made on the sell side is that Henson HAS to do this.

I disagree because that is saying the Henson company is only worth 20 million right now, which is the value of the building, and/or couldn't get a loan, or have anybody finance a Muppet movie, or that it is just a corporation not connected to a family of mega-millionaires.

You can keep the darn building for a few grand a year in property taxes. Henson kids are selling because they are angry with the world and sick of the business. They want to go to california and forget about it.

I don't think for a minute that they are sitting around crying and living in poverty and feeling terrible that they are so broke and desperate that they have to be forced to sell the building. THey are angry and fed up, not sad and poor.

They are NOT down to their last dollar, and they do not HAVE to sell that building :big_grin:

What are they gonna do with the 20 million? If it was the last, would they spend it on the last movie Henson ever makes for a "make or break" situation? I don't even think they would. They would keep if for themselves, and why not? Who wants to be in poiverty?

So what are you gonna do with 20 mil in cash? Let it rot in the bank? Invest in something AGAINST inflation. Like a prime piece of NYC real estate...which is what the building ALREADY is!

It's equity. If another terrorist attack hits us, the US dollar will go down. Cash is a bad time right now. Go with gold and property. Nobody sells off a prime piece of NYC real estate unless they are drowning or just want to be rid of something. I don't see Brian on the welfare lines.

With the building not producing anything and not needed because Henson is doing nothing, YES having it will be a cost of a few grand a year in taxes and some heating.

So, for the cost of a few grand (which is nothing to multi-millionaires-like you and me buying a box of cookies) they are throwing the building away. That stinks to me.

The only respect that we can have is for their feelings, and if they are angry then I can understand it but not agree with it.

Lets face it that most of us here are the older guys all loving the old times of what Henson did in the past. You might remember how much I hated that Kermit was on the same stage of Jimmy Kimmel with MASTURBATION jokes beside him. That makes me very sad :cry:

Where is the magic in mastubation? Why is Kermit sitting next to that garbage? You want me to cheer that stuff? No way. You want me to be happy that the HEnsons are also selling off all the beautifual memories of the NYC building for the want of a few lousy grand in upkeep costs per year? No way.

Hey, if they want to try to sell again, then KEEP THE BUILDING and say "also includes spectacular NYC building!" Factor in the building at a loss, of say, 50% off, which will still be a profit over what they paid in 1977, and tag that on to the sale of the ENTIRE company itself. Doesn't that sound attractive? A BARGAIN price on a great building included for a FAIR price on the Henson company ITSELF?

TO millionaires, a few thousand a year is like coffee money. We will never knowq what they really have, but they are millionaires to be sure. It is theirs and they can do as they please, but they are angry and fed up, and the fans are the last people they are thinking of right now. And I don't blame them, because Kermit and the gang are like the ones of the show called Friends, and you can't replace everything on the show and expect people to watch. That is what is wrong with Henson.

Of course I am not so stupid to blame Jim for dying of sickness, but the fact is that it happened so suddenly and it was very harmful to his company, and to his main character. People get creeped out to hear Kermit played by somebody else. Steve Whitmire does a great job, but it is still an impersonation.

And then the German deal was harmful to the company.

Then the trying hard to sell the company also hurt it when only the small time losers tried to buy (remember all those idiots?).

Then the Henson family was forced to buy it back, because they were sick of seeing Jim's legend blowing in the wind and being laughed at. Face it they failed big time.

What have they done so far? Put Kermit on a dirty and stupid Jimmy Kimmel, and now they put up the NYC building for sale. Why sell so soon after taking the company back, and why sell when it costs so little to keep???

I will always remember Kermit singing to children of Sesame Street, and being SMART funny on Carson. That is the true character. Nobody warned Kimmel at the start of the week "Hey guys, keep it clean, this is Kermit we have here."

No. Nobody cares.

"Whassamatter, you couldn't get the Lost in Space Robot?"

Anybody forgetting here that Sesame Street is meant to look like NYC?

Now the Henson kids pack up everything and buzz off to La-La land to make children's videos. If they ARE doing Wizard of Oz, then it's pathetic, just like when boring celebrities redo fairy tales when they are bored.

I remember JR Ewing in Dallas when the company was in trouble, and they were FORCED to lose a building, and another oilman moved to take down a picture of JR's father. I never forget it. JR said "Put that picture back or I'll kill you where you stand."

That's the big difference :big_grin:

THe Henson family disappoints me. That building stands for a lot, and they're selling it when they don't really, REALLY have to.

Then again, they put their father's beautiful Kermit on a filth show, too.

Does anyone care :cry:

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Hold on a sec...

Then the trying hard to sell the company also hurt it when only the small time losers tried to buy (remember all those idiots?).
I wouldn't classify the Disney company as a "small-time loser." They're arguably the most influential entertainment company in the world. In fact, many of the companies that bid on the Muppets are large corporations.

Also, you're being a bit harsh on the Henson family, Mark. I'm positive they aren't just throwing the building away without exploring all their options. They have more of a connection to that place than any of us.

Further, you seem to be ignoring basic business concepts (and ultimately the Jim Henson Company IS a business). The company is clearly worth A LOT more than $20 million. Still, that $20 million in cash from the sale could do a lot of things for the company--maybe a new movie down the line. They aren't going to "let it rot" in a bank. They'll invest it and earn far more than the inflation rate. Property is a good investment except it's not very flexible. The cash can be used on short notice and for a number of projects.

If Henson is to be based solely in L.A., this move simply makes good business sense.

Luke

Reaction score
The thing is Mark, you are acting like this building is the most important thing in the existence of the company ever - it's not, and even the Henson's obviously don't feel that way. If they really were down to their last 20 million i'm sure the real estate would have gone long ago - it's the characters and secondly, the programme rights that are of the most value, both in money and sentiment. Sure, the NY Townhouse has been a major part of the Henson Company for years, but just as much went on creatively at the London offices, TMS studios and Canada for 'Fraggle Rock'. I would think the family feels that lots of places have memories of Jim, not just one.

You are guessing about whatever resentment they might feel or what they'll regret. The fact is they have chosen to sell, it is their property. Even if they don't HAVE to sell it is their right as would have been with Disney, Viacom or whoever else. You can be sure they have stronger ties to the place than us and that they have thought about all available scenarios. This is what they have decided, I don't think the fans have a right to dictate where and how the company is run or based - it's supposed to be the brand and the programmes that we are fanatical about and doing this will provide extra income for the company to put into those things. While Henson have always been really good about keeping archives of the past they are ultimately a media company and even over the sentimental stuff their main concern is the survival of the JHC and the Muppets themselves and it sounds like lately they have been making some very tough calls regarding that. I'd rather have the company in good hands and shape a few years from now than them missing opportunities from not having the cash available to do other great stuff that would otherwise be holed up in an empty building. They are doing what they feel is right at the moment and actually I agree with them on it - even Jim himself was prepared to put sentimental feelings behind the welfare of the company, remember he tried to sell the Muppets to Disney twice ? Not sure how you would explain that one !

dmx10101

Reaction score
Wow, these responses are too much to read. I don't have enough patience too read them.

Mark Filton

Reaction score
Wow one thing for sure Muppet fans sure explore all avenues on every side :big_grin:

First the smaller letter.

Disney is not the "small time loser." Disney didn't buy, but we had stories of all kinds of other idiots, like that guy who wanted to somehow make internet tv better than real tv. Those guys were jokers.

Am I being harsh on the Henson kids? What, because they are in "show biz" that makes them above all bad emotions and makes every decision they make a genius decision? Remember "new Coke?" Big shots mess up all the time.

I say I DON'T blame them. I would be fed up too and angry and sad, but I still think they are wrong. Our love for their father's stuff made them who they are. "If somebody out there loves you, stands up and hollers for more"

We are the somebody's who holler for more. We shouldn't be treated harsh, either. Why not shut me up and have them smash the mural into a million pieces and give them to Phil Chapman who can then surprise us with a piece? Man, I would love that.

It's all wishful thinking. That mural is gonna get sandblasted and painted over. Maybe that breaks my heart so I say only if you HAVE to! WHat the heck, why not make a nice video and give the master tapes to Philip, and he can make copies and sell them to us? Why not? Let the HEnsons do us a darn favor and let Philip make a buck for running this website. What's wrong with that? We have feelings, and they get hurt when a part of Jim Henson gets sold off and gone forever. Am I crazy?

Take a video camera and tape everything. Send the tapes to Philip. He keeps them and sells them to us. Why not? What would it hurt? That won't happen. What do they care about our feelings?

Yoiu say the money will be invested and make more than the inflation rate. How do you know that? How do I know that? All we know is that the building is going, and busineess people say real estate is great. How can you go wrong owning a fine building in NYC like that? And the property? It's a hard asset. Muppet fortunes go up and down. Real estate is a better investment.

Yes, go to L.A. if you want, but do they know the future already? Do they know it's hopeless to think big again? Do what they want, but I take it as a bad sign. It shows me that they've made a decision to put the big time in the past. My God, what power of NEGATIVE thinking!

----------------------------------------------

Now time for Luke's letter.

Luke I don't think the building is most important. It's very important ,but not the MOST. Where am I saying "SAVE IT AT ALL COSTS!!!"

I even said if it's all they have left, sell it off and keep the money for themselves, because who likes poverty?

You're trying to talk down to me like a little kid and (pretending quote) "Oh, don't be upset, there are so many buildings all over the world, nice things happened everywhere, but it's time to move on."

The NYC building was bought in 1977, right? So it's been owned by therm for over 25 years. You and I both know that OWNING is different from hanging out in Canada or London in someone's studio to make Fraggle Rock or the Muppet Show. Come on, I know the difference :stick_out_tongue:

Jim himself made the building special. Lots of stories were done on the building. One lucky guy made a visit and posted his story right in this website. Is this not special or what? Is this different from some old studio? Yes.

YES I am guessing about their feelings I said that a lot. I am guessing. YOU are guessing. What do we know? We ALL are guessing.

Can Hensons feel sad and angry? Yes. Can they make a mistake? Yes.

I have said also before that they can do whatever they want. I have no disagreement there. NEVER have I say they have no right. BLow it up if they want to.

THen you are changing the subject a bit. Did Jim try to sell to Disney? Yes. I have no problem with that. He was trying to do that so all his characters wouldn't get scattered and weak and lost...which is what is happening now, so I AGREE with you on that one :zany:

It is EARLY in the Henson buy-back. Why sell so fast? Do what you want, it is yours, but Jim was a sweet guy and obviously made the building special by HIS DECISION, so even though the kids are selling it it makes no sense to me because:

1 It's a good piece of property to include in another try to sell again

2 THey have millions already

3 Keep it for the few grand in taxes for a few years, see what happens with the company on the big scale first

WHat is the rush? My God Henson became rich because we loved him. Not because the kids are great business people. Artists are a 2-way street, not like a guy who sells you a shirt at Wal-Mart.

Go ahead and sell, but I won't see any sense to it, and if they sell so early, I think (ONLY IN MY OPINION) that the Henson kids are sick and tired of the business, and don't see a big comeback coming ever.

If I was a mulitmillionaire, and could save the father's house with coffee money for a few years, until I find out how good my next movie is, I WOULD DO IT.

But, if I was down to the pennies, I would sell it of course.

The Henson kids are not with empty pockets, so I look at the selling as bad decison, a bad sign, and a bad future sign.

Just like putting beautiful Kermit on slimy Kimmel. Where is the love of these things? Where is the compassion for the Muppets and the fans? :cry:

dmx10101

Reaction score
Intering points. I have no comment on the matter though.

Mark Filton

Reaction score
DmX are you trying to be a wise guy or something :sleep:

Try harder :boo:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think it's really commendable that you're so passionate about this Mark, but most of what you are saying is happening here is purely speculation. I really think you should relax and give the co. & family a little credit.

The fact is that JHC is a privately-owned coporation and no one outside of the family and it's management has any actual knowledge of the company's state of affairs outside of whatever they put in press releases. Any discussion we have here about how much or how little the company and/or the family has or does not have is pretty much uninformed speculation.

Who says the mural will sandblasted? Does anyone even know how it was done? If it was done on panels (common with murals) it could be easily transported to L.A. or the archives. I have a feeling all the Muppet-specific contents from the house will be saved.

I think the issue that has been missed in a lot of your agruments has been that the Jim Henson Company is no longer in New York (outside of whatever mini-office they will maintain). They have a greatly reduced role in Sesame Street and no major work or production in NY any more. There isn't a really good reason to operate there. So you're left with purely sentimental reasons which - although important - don't make a lot of sense from a business point of view. And sadly, yes, JHC is a business.

Most of us have never stepped foot inside this building. We've only seen pictures and heard stories. I think there's a bit of myth-making at work when fans talk fondly about a place where they have never spent time. Maybe the idea of the existance of the place is much more important than the reality of it being there.

I'm not saying that the townhouse wasn't a special place, just that perhaps on this issue we should defer to the wisdom and judgement of those who are closest to the issue - the family and the company.

After all, it is their building!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
All murals and stained glass windows can be removed and will be. No worries. :excited:

I'm looking at it this way. You know - when kids grow up and move out parents are left with a terribly big empty house. There are many memories attached to it. It's a shame to sell it, but the parents often do and find a home that better suits their needs. Other than historical relevance, there is no need to keep up the taxes. Especially when they already own suitable offices located in Los Angeles - the heart of the entertainment hub. :cool:

I assure you the taxes and upkeep on the house is more than just a couple thousand dollars. It's not cheap. Also, just because a family has millions doesn't mean the money is liquid. It is probably heavily invested. Even if they do have the money it doesn't mean that it should be spent on something unnecessary. Henson has seen better days and if this is what they need to get back on track then I support it. After years of Henson hanging on to such things no matter what the cost, it is assuring that they are making financially prudent decisions - and they've been making some tough ones. I have faith they are doing the right thing. It is a shame though. :cry:

Nevertheless, the Muppets reside in the hearts of fans, not a house. :smile:

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mark Filton said:
Take a video camera and tape everything. Send the tapes to Philip. He keeps them and sells them to us. Why not? What would it hurt? That won't happen. What do they care about our feelings?
Some idea there Mark, LOL! Thanks for wrapping me into this. :wink:

If someone wants to make a tape of the building, we could probably archive the video on the site so everyone can see it (depending on the quality of the recording). If anyone did it, however, it would not be sold under any circumstances.