1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Henson issues statement about Chick-Fila-A

Discussion in 'Henson People' started by dwmckim, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I think that that really puts it the best. It always has amazed me how a bunch of random people who wouldn't even know each other if they ran into them right now somehow get together every single day and act crazy. That's the diversity that Jim Henson stands for. Though we may not agree with the decisions of Chick-Fil-A, or we may not agree with the decision of JHC, it is still important to respect those decisions. As said, you also do have to give Chick-Fil-A credit for standing up for what they believe in, even if some disagree with it. We can all get along with each other, regardless of beliefs, and that's the message of Jim Henson.
    MJTaylor, Muppet fan 123 and bandit like this.
  2. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

I agree. We should all be able to come together celebrate our differences without having to tread on one another. However, if that's the case, then why wouldn't someone "agree with the decision of JHC?"

Again, no one took issue with CFA's statement of belief. It's the actions they took to enforce them on others and their history of concealing them that are suspect.

Behaving like a charismatic Convincing John and witnessing to people is one thing, but stripping the liberties of those who believe differently is something sinister.
  3. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

I try to live by The Golden Rule "Treat others the way you wanna be treated." and I don't think you have to be any religion to get that. and hopefully that's something we can ALL agree on!!!
    heralde likes this.
  4. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I more meant the decision of JHC to support gay marriage, but at any rate...
  5. bandit

bandit Well-Known Member

While I agree with you, JV (and I really do) my point was that no matter WHERE you fall in on this debate, there is still room for us to be civil and friendly...which I think we've all been, for the most part.
    That's what I like about a place like MC. It really is a melting pot of people with different beliefs and yet we can look past all of that and still meet on common ground.
    I never did eat at CFA after I found out about their stance on these paritcular issues. I didn't like the idea of such a proactive effort being put forth to prevent people from having things I see as basic human rights. I do have friends who still eat there and may still even now and that's just how it goes. It irks me, SURE to an extent, but they are my friends and I love them for a hundred other reasons. I kind of feel that way about it here. In general, I think the people here at MC are smart, fun people who come from all walks of life. I welcome our differences. Keeps things from getting too peaceful or boring. ^_- V
  6. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

That is something I like about here...like I was saying before, when you think about it, we're all just a bunch of absolutely random people from all over the place, who just so happen to have one thing in common. Yet we still seem to care about each other so much, listen to each other, give advice...it's just amazing. And I guess it comes along with the fandom and what Jim stood for. It just amazes me that everyone here is so caring and forgiving...not something you find online much these days.
  7. jvcarroll

Oh. Yeah, that outright advocacy surprised me too, but it probably shouldn't have because they've always supported diversity. It's the donation of their profits from the CFA deal to the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation that was a particularly nice touch.
    bandit and Pinkflower7783 like this.
  8. Pinkflower7783

That's cause for the most part people on here are able to debate whether they disagree or not in a mature adult manner. To me thats the brillance of Jim Henson. Even though he's no longer with us he still continues to bring people from all walks of life together. And NO I don't care if I sound cheesy or not! It's the truth! I've been to so many forums that have shut down cause people just started lashing out at each other.
  9. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I was just more surprised that they supported it at all, instead of just taking a sort of neutral stance on it.
  10. jvcarroll

I also expected some generalization of supporting diversity too, but I'm glad that Henson joined Disney and other companies that have vocally come out in their support gay-marriage such as Amazon, Apple, Best Buy, Clorox, Coca-Cola, Ford, General Mills, GM, Google, J.C. Penny, Kraft, Levi’s, McDonalds, Microsoft, Nike, Pepsi, P&G, Sears, Starbucks, UPS and Wells Fargo to name a few. The CFA-minded people would have a hard time boycotting all of those guys. It's safe to say that the national tide has turned on this issue.
    Muppet fan 123 and bandit like this.
  11. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

At this point I think very few entertainment companies are going to want to be seen as neutral.
  12. jvcarroll

here are just a few brands and companies to be proud of when it comes to marriage equality....
    [​IMG]...yes, Target too! I challenge the nation's bigots to try and boycott all these products and industries. I am proud that Disney, Pixar, the Muppets and the Jim Henson Company are all supporters of equality.
  13. heralde

Now if some of these companies could also stop the outsourcing everything would be perfect. ;)
    jvcarroll likes this.
  14. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Did the Muppets ever say anything about it? I don't remember them ever saying anything about it. When did they say it? :confused:
  15. jvcarroll

The Muppets and Marvel are owned by the Walt Disney Company and they've been a firm supporter of gay marriage so their subsidiaries are included. ;)
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  16. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I don't think so and I think there is a difference between Equality and Gay marriage Equality was really about people excepting other people for who they are. Now accepting people for the way they are and approving of what the do are two diff rent things. I can look at someone who is different them me and can find common ground but that same person will not like everything I do in my home and I will not like everything he dose in his and that is OK. I can respect anyone who wants to make a relationship work and if they feel that they want to get married that is not up to me or these list of companies to deice if they support them or not. It is a personal decision between them there lover and God everything else dose not matter.
    The Jim Henson co Best buy and The president support gay marriage Who cares? Are they buying wedding gifts for very couple that are getting married? Are they sending out thank you cards telling the couples to keep up the fight? The answer is NO... Why because when it comes down to it it still is a personal decision that that couple will have to live with for the rest of there lives.
    MJTaylor likes this.
  17. heralde

Well yes to be fair they are likely only taking this position to get good press/votes. That's Capitalism and Politics for ya. ;)
    Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  18. Pinkflower7783

Speaking of The Muppets stance on Gay marriage when Kermit was in Australia of last year promoting the movie they were asking him about his relationship with Piggy and Kermit joked he's not sure if frogs and pigs can get married cause it's not legal (LOL) and so they asked him about gay marriage not being legal in some states and he said "I think you should be able to marry the person you love." And if I still had the video I'd post it but I believe it's since been taken down. So yep Muppets are supporters too!
    Muppet fan 123 and jvcarroll like this.
  19. jvcarroll

Companies like Walt Disney and some others on the list give rights and benefits to gay partners so yes, it matters VERY MUCH!

There has been much talk in this thread about a company that discriminates against gay people. Because of this I felt like posting a list of ones who don't. These companies aren't encouraging anyone to make a personal choice one way or the other, but they are standing up against discrimination to those who would deny people the freedom to marry the partner of their choosing. That's the point.

I think you're seeing through rose-colored glasses. Gay Americans have a history of being bullied by people professing to be Christians. These groups have assumed to speak for the majority in order draft legislation intended to force us to follow the tenants of their faith without any choice of our own. For that reason, it's good to see that the companies that impact our everyday lives have now lent voice and support to allow people like me the same civil liberties as any other straight American.

I'm not naive in believing that it gives me or anyone some sort of moral ground. But I can't deny that it's how change in this county begins. It's how freedom wins out over oppression. When enough influential people finally say - ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! And that's what the people on this list have done.

Yes, it matters. It matters very much!
    dwmckim and Slackbot like this.
  20. Pinkflower7783

Doesn't or didnt' Disney used to have like a Gay Pride type event in their parks at one time? Don't quote me on that as I'm not sure but I thought there was. Or maybe there still is? Could've just been a one time event when they FIRST openly said they supported Gay rights.
    jvcarroll likes this.