Henson Manga Titles

Muppetfreak

Reaction score
did anyone see the new graphic novel Nancy Drews? I only skimmed them. Interesting....

Ernie101

Reaction score
i'm not too much for anime. I haven't been able to find many good ones, maybe I am looking in all the wrong places.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
The comics are supposed to continue the stories, so I doubt they will be like the cine-manga.

Manga in Japan is used to reference US or Japan comics. It just has been applied to imports from Japan to distinguish them. They are probably also using the manga title to get the anime/manga fans into the project, because there is a bit more fantasy manga than there are in Amercian comics so there's already a potential market other than Muppet fans.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
Also forget to add that there were Muppet comics once upon a time and are collected into a few books I think.

Another thing, if you search ebay for Muppet Doujinshi, you'll probably come up with something.

Doujinshi are fanmade comics from Japan.

Ernie101

Reaction score
Oh, their actually were Muppet comics? or are? Where did you find them?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Interesting. But, how come everything today has to be in Anime style? Why not just traditional animation, like the good stuff from the 40's and 50's??

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
Ernie101 said:
Oh, their actually were Muppet comics? or are? Where did you find them?
Yeah, there was a Muppey Comic Strip that ran from 1984-1986, Kermitage.com has pictures of the graphic novels of the books: http://www.kermitage.com/html/collectibles/booksandmagazines/bookspage3.htm

Also there have been various comic books of The Muppet Babies and Fraggle Rock, which can be found on ebay or maybe the bargain bins at comic book stores. Danny at Toughpigs.com wrote a story about them, which I can't find in her archives. I have never read any of them outside of the Internet though.

Everything is in anime style because that is what's "in". When kids see items with anime style pictures on them, they think it's cool so thus buy them. It's a marketing strategy.

Traditional animation...that is a very broad spectrum. There are many styles of traditional animation done inthe 2-D format. Which were you referring too?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Don't forget that Guy Gilchrist (Nancy) did comic strips about the Muppets which were collected into 3 publications. VERY rare, hard to find. Gee, I wish I owned them! There's a section at Tough Pigs about these comic strips, too; probably in the anthology section.

EleganceLiberty

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Interesting. But, how come everything today has to be in Anime style? Why not just traditional animation, like the good stuff from the 40's and 50's??
Art is subjective. I prefer stuff from the 90's like Batman: TAS, the Disney TV cartoons and stuff, personally speaking.

Besides, if you think they're gonna give everyone dewey eyes and make the men look like women, well... you need to glance at more manga. It isn't all like that. XD (I like the uber-violent stuff like Berzerk and Vampire Hunter D... but like I said, art is subjective)

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
Those were the Muppet Comics I was referring too. I hope to one day track the books down.

EleganceLiberty, the 1990s were the best time for good cartoons I think! The 1990s Batman cartoon series was dark and wonderful, much closer to my version of the Dark Knight than what they have today. What were your favorite Disney cartoons? I love Aladdin, Tale Spin, and Ducktales.