Henson Manga Titles

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I liked Darkwing Duck when it first started, and the Animated Batman toons in the 90's were the TOPS!! Very dark and ubercool.

You hit it on the head, Elegance Liberty! It's the feminine men with weird voices and the dewey eyes on everyone that I don't like. Anime/Manga eyes have ALWAYS irritated me so bad!

Of course, I do draw big oval eyes on my characters, so it's kinda contradictory. I just never do the ... I dunno. Something about those eyes, and the mouths, that bug me.

Infinity Sirius

Reaction score
They can be over exgerated (sp?), but big eyes small mouth? It's just not what we're accustomed too. In Japan, they probably think our animation gives them that odd feeling.

Labyrinth Fairy

Reaction score
manga

rocks. I am a total fan of anime/ manga. I even love jpop and jrock! (japanese pop and rock for people who want to know) and I think labyrinth becoming a manga is an awesome idea! but, I think it should be about sarah notcing her love for jareth! :smile:

DTWolf

Reaction score
Technically, the word manga refers to Japanese comics (and comics is not a negative word). Unfortunately, many publishers who release actual manga in the U.S. (translated into English, of course) are now using the word manga to mean "any kind of comics we put out in the same small-book format we use for our real manga." They ought to be calling them "graphic novels," but the marketing department thinks "manga" will sell better.

So these will surely be written in English, printed in English, read left-to-right, and be manga in market-speak only. On the other hand, the suggestion that they will be drawn to look like manga (as broad as that description is--there are dozens of different manga styles in Japan) sounds pretty likely to me. Jen and Kira look like manga characters already, in a lot of ways, I think.

If Dark Crystal gets prequel graphic novels, and the new film really is a "the Crystal breaks again" sequel, I may buy the GNs and ignore the movie.

As for Labyrinth . . . what would the story be? I don't know if it's a good idea. I can imagine Jared's past being quite interesting, and lots of Froud-inspired goblins running around is not a bad thing, but Sarah's story came to a good close. And if you didn't have her, but you introduced another female to keep the romantic angle, aren't you taking away from the movie?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if it would be a good idea for there to be a manga comic book collection for the Muppets or Sesame Street.

tyciol

Reaction score
So they ended up cancelling the MirrorMask manga but did end up making Return to Labyrinth and Legends of the Dark Crystal.

Would anyone know if anything else Henson/Muppets got made into manga or anime? Like even as a cameo or vague reference, if not a focused series?

I saw a screencap of a character reading a Betty Boop comic book in Urusei Yatsura once, and Freddy Kruegar in another. It's neat when western stuff gets cameos there.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's because Tokyo Pop went completely under. And with it's focus on American "ginzu" manga, it's no wonder. I mean, American comics made by Americans who think Anime is exactly Bi-Shonen and nothing more... anime has so many different looks, and we barely understand anything that isn't Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, or Pokemon since that's really all we ever rally get. Europe and Latin America got all the anime in the 80's and 90's. Granted, Harmony Gold tried its darnedest to dub Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump. But in the 80's, it was all about cheap rights for home video and Nickelodeon preschool shows (to be fair, there was Robotech and Voltron), and in the 90's, it was all about Pokemon and some stuff for the adult fan. We missed the crazy stuff from the 70's and 80's where all the anime tropes actually come from.

Basically, I'm saying there's a great big history of anime and manga we don't understand, and what Americans produce to look Japanese basically looks like 1990's style stuff. Meanwhile, in Japan, everything looks more and more Western. Weird trade off, huh?