Henson sells Muppets to Disney

What do you think of Disney buying the Muppets and Bear?

• It's great! Disney can keep the Muppets alive and visible.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • It's awful! The Muppets will go downhill and quality will suffer.

Votes: 87 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jediX

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread but I might as well put it here, too...

------------------------
"We Got Us"

Life is a funny thing,
sometimes you laugh and sing,
sometimes you grumble and fuss,
but either way what do we care?
We got us!
We have our ups and downs,
our share of smiles and frowns,
but through it all we don't fuss,
cause we got a special thing going,
We got us!

Some people like to go through their life single,
aw, that wouldn't suit us at all,
Why sing a melody as a soliloquy,
when its more fun to be harmonizing

People they say we are,
crazy the way we are,
that we won't even discuss,
Cause what we got they can't smother,
we'd trade our life for no other,
they've only got one another,
But we got us!

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
I can just see Disney making more STUPID sequels with The Muppets.

Kermit's Swamp Years 2: Back to the Swamp!

I am happy for the fact that Disney may bring back some T.V. shows and specials, but It just makes me sick to think The Muppets may be chatting with Hillary duff and all those other STUPID pointless CRAPPY shows that are on the Disney channel now. I can't believe the Henson kids, I thouht they were smart.

Didymus

Struble

Reaction score
As I learned from a radio interview with the kid that plays Matt on Lizzie Maguire (Corrected: I originally wrote "Hillary Duff")... the last thing we want is for them to make a Muppet show for the Disney Channel. They only make a finite number of episodes of the shows made for the Disney Channel. As soon as they get that many episodes done, no more show. They may make a movie (TV or otherwise) but in essense that is all you get.

Struble
This news has made me a pessimist.

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. That is somewhat of a relief, but it just worries me that The Muppets won't be their usual fuzzy selves. I mean, what if Disney decides to fire all the Muppeteers, and animate all the character????

There is just so much bad stuff to think about, but then again there is so much good stuff, I guess..........

.......just have to wait and see i guess.......

Didymus

P.S. Sorry if i sounded a little nasty, but I just had to get that off my chest!

AruggeRadio

Reaction score
I honestly think what kevin said is the best thing i have read so far. Lets see what happens.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Theres only one word to sum this up...

"Frell."

So as i understand it (and PLEASE correct me if im wrong), JHC will still remain its own company...no one bought JHC but rather Henson sold the main thing that makes the company what it is off and will now continue on its own as a Muppetless entity? What kind of enchanted apple or magic mushroom where the Hensons smoking when they agreed to that? When they bought the company back, they said they were looking at exploring strategic partnerships...um, getting rid of your main identity/product to someone else is not what one calls a strategic partnership!

I dearly want to see The Muppets succeed and i hope for the best and am anxiously awaiting some more details that will make me see some of the actual positives and benefits to all this, but at the moment this all reads like some horrible April Fools joke, internet hoax, or Onion story! I mean try as i might i can only think of three good things about this...

The Muppets werent bought by Roger Ailles.
The Muppets werent bought by Pat Robertson.
The Muppets...well...okay i dont have a third thing yet.

We may see more Muppet rides at Disneyland...yippee...all we have to do is watch everything else about the Muppets be taken for a ride!

I dont mean to offend anyone who has had to deal with such horrors in real life, but for the longest time Henson in the way it deals with corporate partners/deals has reminded me of an abused spouse who keeps going back to the abusive husband or other people who treats her as badly because she feels deep down the bruises are proof of real love and that in the end the beast can change and therell be a happy ending.

Like i say i really am hoping for the best and want this to be a good thing and i sincerely hope DIsney will treat them right and look after the Muppets best interests (and if that isnt optimism i dont know what is), but right now all i hear is Faust is some faraway place thinking, "Dang, now if that wasnt the mother of all deals!" As it stands, this all makes about as much sense as investing ones life savings into desert tours for Sebacians.

beaker

Reaction score
AruggeRadio said:
sorce www.variety.com

HOLLYWOOD -- Kermit and his Muppets pals are finally heading to the Magic Kingdom -- though it remains to be seen who owns the joint when the dust settles.
and compensate the Hensons additionally by extending profit participation in the exploitation of the Muppets and other characters over the next several years.

Past Muppet movies have used the puppet characters in mostly live-action settings. Recent theatrical titles have included "Muppets from Space" and "Elmo in Grouchland," both released to modest success in 1999.
hehe, the article said 'exploited'. how apro po. Also, they mention Grouchland, which *was* a JH pictures release. Boy how I miss when Sesame WAS JHC.

So now muppets, bear =disney, sesame=sw, and fraggle=JHC. darn.

alorindanya said:
I work for Disney for Christ's Sake. I LOVE MY COMPANY! I love the magic that Disney gives people's hearts. The Muppets do the same. What a great marriage..
I needed a good laugh... *wipes tears of laughter*
If stripping away imgination for cheap sequels and 3rd world sweat shop greed is magical...

its kind of like a marriage between Fred Rogers and Osama bin Laden.
still I support it whole heartedly, for the survival of the brand.

FOLKS! Yer forgetting the good news! JHC can now afford that water cooler!

Struble said:
The only silver lining I can find in this whole thing is that I'm gonna have a disposable income again.

*sighs*
Struble
what's hat spose to mean? Oh well, more muppet merch for the real fans...btw, when ya gonna send my muppet vhs archive back? :wink:

Luke said:
Is it better than the Hensons ultimately having to go bankrupt because they couldn't get the funding for projects and ran out of money like EMTV nearly did and the Muppets just being retired, sold off to the highest bidder or just dying out? Yes, it is.
Im glad Im not the only one who sees whats going on.

I guess folks would rather have the muppets teter on th ebrink of non existence than be rescued.

Maybe Im just a bad guy, but I cheered at the idea of JHC fully moving to sunny california here, and I cheer even louder for this.
and I *HATE* disney. go figure.

Luke said:
Y'know i hope this won't mean the return of Jim Hill to Muppet Central. I don't think i can take that, i got headaches the last time. He'd probably say that "sources" saw Michael Eisner reading a book on hypnotism and this must be how he got Brian to sell. Either that or he got a message in his "Captain Alphabet" cereal!

:embarrassed:
Jim Hill is a visionary...as well as a member of the illuminati

beaker

Reaction score
dwmckim said:
What kind of enchanted apple or magic mushroom where the Hensons smoking when they agreed to that? When they bought the company back, they said they were looking at exploring strategic partnerships...um, getting rid of your main identity/product to someone else is not what one calls a strategic partnership!

Like i say i really am hoping for the best and want this to be a good thing and i sincerely hope DIsney will treat them right and look after the Muppets best interests (and if that isnt optimism i dont know what is), but right now all i hear is Faust is some faraway place thinking
best post on here! I agree, it is surreal JHC seems to have made a crack smoking decision to sell off the heart oif the company: the muppets...they now dont even have sesame. but still, what else can they do...continue to wither away?

Beauregard

Reaction score
Prepare yourselves for:

The Return to Muppet Treasure Island
The Greater Muppet Caper
and
The Muppet's retake Manhatten

Sheesh...

But on a serious note, Disney is NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER gong to make Muppet vs Las Vegas, is it?

Beauregard

Reaction score
shazam said:
As an employee of The Jim Henson Company, this is a great thing! Disney is very committed to giving Henson the type of treatment it deserves.

Our little company just doesn't have the sort of deveopment and marketing money that Disney does, which will mean now there will be more Muppet Movies, more Muppet shows, just more Muppets everywhere! Muppet Christmas Carol and Muppet Treasure Island were done with Disney, and our two of our best movies. I know that things might look grim on the surface, but I think this is the best thing that could have happened to us. I look forward to riding something like "Gonzo's Daredevil Extravganza and Drop of Doom" at Disney's California Adventure some day.

Keep hope alive! And keep your chins up!

I'm in Sydney Australia right now...and wish I was at home now so I could be there during all of this! But I'm here working on a "secret" project. More on that soon, I hope!

Kevin

:concern: :embarrassed:
Thanks. You give us all hope.

Just wish Secret Squigle was around still