1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Henson sells Muppets to Disney

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by samtheeagle, Feb 17, 2004.

?

What do you think of Disney buying the Muppets and Bear?

Poll closed May 17, 2004.
It's great! Disney can keep the Muppets alive and visible. 58 vote(s) 40.0%
It's awful! The Muppets will go downhill and quality will suffer. 87 vote(s) 60.0%

1. Whatever Active Member

It's like the end of the world. Just think of all the degrading things they can make Kermie do. Advertise Mickey Mouse or Victoria's Secret. And they're so strict about copyright. What if they shut MC down? They might not let Palisades make figures of lesser known Muppets. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  2. Zondra New Member

Hmm...I guess we'll just have to wait and see, won't we?

So long imagination, independence, and the true spirit of the Muppets.

Hello commercialized blather.

Call me a pessimist, but...
  3. grouchman New Member

gnarkflap!

i can just see next month's big disney press release: "eisner declares traditional puppeteering dead. all future muppet projects will be computer animated."

not happy...but then with a name like grouchman, what'd ya expect??????
  4. jediX Active Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I can't believe it. I will not accept that the company that disgusts me the most now owns one of the things I love the most.

Its like in the great stories--the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How can the world go back to the way it was when so much bad happened. But in the end, its only a passing thing -- the shadow and even darkness must pass. But a new day will come, and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. ..theres some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for.
    -Sam, The Two Towers

I have nothing more to say. This is indeed a dark day.
  5. Drtooth Well-Known Member

This just is out and out the dumbest... (Loud train rushes buy, drowning out all cuss words from audibility)...raggafragging thinbg they could have done.

I've had it with Henson's Bratty kids!
  6. Whatever Active Member

It's like, what do we have to look forward to? Muppets are the only thing that keep me smiling now, I study and I take Muppet breaks and if you take away the Muppets' future, I got nothing left. What about the rumored movie and Muppetfest and and and.... THE RAINBOW CONNECTION? How can we keep believing?
  7. Drtooth Well-Known Member

If it were a partnership, I'd be happy... but I can see them making 2 projects, throwing them away, and making crappy merch of them, while taking away licensing from Palisades and Sabba.

Now if they were to attempt to bring Fraggle Rock and Muppets Tonight to DVD to soften the blow....
  8. MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

AAAAHHHH NNNNOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Here we go again :rolleyes: .................

On the bright side (I suppose) the UK can see The Muppets again promoting all over the place for a new movie (produced by Disney) and with any luck more videos and DVD’s (maybe continuing the “JH Video” label) :o
  9. Squigiman Active Member

I honestly can see the ups and downs to it. I am trying to focus on the positive, but understand some of your points. If Disney gets its own stuff together, and doesn't dumb the Muppets down, any more than they have been, this could be really great. Hopefully, we could get Muppets at WDW on video, as well as other old specials and favorites, maybe old and new shows, airing on television, a lot more exposure, reminding the public how great the Muppets are and should not be forgotten, and in general, more funding, which could help allow for newer, better productions than there have been. Hopefully, Palisades will be allowed to continue its operations, as they do, and have planned, and no websites, such as this, get attacked. I also hope they don't call them Walt Disney's Muppets, as that is a huge lie, and a slap in the face to a genius that we no longer have with us. Muppets were Jim's creations, and not Walt's, plain and simple. Maybe, "Walt Disney presents Jim Henson's Muppets" or something. I guess all we can do is hope, and wait and see where this goes. They survived Germany, so they should be able to make it through this, as long as Disney doesn't collapse on itself. Just my take on it all. See ya.

-Squigiman
  10. MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

What a HORRIBLE thought ! :cry:
  11. Sir Didymus New Member

All I can say is: Sh*t

Didymus
  12. beaker Well-Known Member

As LONG as

1) palisades and others dont have to cancel lines
    2) the performers never get seperated with the puppets
    3) the Muppets dont get watered down

its all gravy with me!
  13. Primetime_Jedi New Member

I totally agree. Eisner needs to go. I am not to thrilled with them buying the Muppets. What is wrong with the Henson's???? Didn't they just buy them back????? I am totally disappointed and the only way I will be happy about this is If and WHEN Eisner is thrown out on his rear....
  14. Avalon New Member

Personally, I have no problem with this deal. As the front page says, this is the culmination of the deal that Jim Henson started 15 years ago. With this deal in place, they can now focus on the creative side of the Muppets, and not have to worry about the marketing aspect and other business properties.

The only thing that suprised me was that Fraggle Rock wasn't included in the deal with the rest of the Muppets.
  15. Zondra New Member

Walt Disney's Muppets...that makes me sick just thinking about it...

I'm restating it over and over in my head...

I mean, I know they're not going to change it or anything but...

Yuck...

*shakes head solemnly*
  16. Buck-Beaver Active Member

I posted a few blurbs about this in my blog. For those not in the know, I included links to a lot of the stories here on MC about the history of Disney/Henson, which goes back quite a way.

Do we know if "The Muppets" includes non-classic Muppet properties like Fraggle Rock, Donna's Day, Labyrinth, etc.? The way they have reported this it sounds like it doesn't.
  17. Sir Didymus New Member

Walt Disney's Muppets:

Will they really be called THAT???????????

OH, I just wanna Kick something!!!!! :((((%$&*(%$##@!~%$$^^%^%%&*%$##%^^

Didymus
  18. Luke Active Member

It only includes "Classic Muppets", "Muppet Babies" and "Bear In The Big Blue House". It includes the past TV/Film programming for only those properties. I'm not sure about "Muppets Tonight" or "Kermits Swamp Years" but i would think it includes them.
  19. Erine81981 Active Member

Doesn't this say they are included?

The Jim Henson Company, which was purchased by the Henson family in July 2003 from the German media company EM.TV, will retain all other assets of the company including Jim Henson's Creature Shop and ownership and rights to all other characters and entertainment properties in The Jim Henson Company's extensive film and television library, including Fraggle Rock, Farscape, Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Storyteller, The Hoobs, and various other properties. The Jim Henson Company will also actively pursue partnerships and other strategic arrangements to exploit these and other existing and new properties and to build their value over the long term.

No it means they are NOT included. The Henson Company will keep them and can do what they like with them. The problem with this is that aside from Farscape, apart from programme sales there is an even less chance now of them actually being able to do anything with them. Most tragically Fraggle Rock is now completely split from The Muppets.